Alaska - Debarkation in Seward

mborchgardt

Booked on Mariner for Akaska next summer. Flight schedules just now becoming available and I'm evaluating options. We disembark in Seward.

If we do Regent flights, any thoughts on the earliest time the flight could leave out of Anchorage. If we can't make the 11:30 departure, we have to use an overnight connection which we'd prefer not to do.

If we do flights on our own, we'll probably stay over one night in Anchorage and leave the following morning. I guess we would be on our own to get from Seward to Anchorage? Any experience on the best way to make that transfer? Is it possible that Regent would offer a complimentary transfer from Seward to Anchorage even if we're not using Regent air?

Thanks for any info.

No, Regent will not offer a complimentary transfer unless you are using Regent Air but you could use some of your OBC to purchase a transfer. If you do so, Regent may have a means of an early morning departure at 6 am or thereabouts to get you by bus to Anchorage.

It just depends on when the ship docks and by when there is clearance to leave the ship.

I have been delayed both times we have flown from Anchorage so we now prefer the Southbound passage which ends in Vancouver

Having been on several cruises ending in Seward (not on Regent) I would not book such an early fight. If that is your only option, (many flights leave at night) I would spend a night in Anchorage and fly out the next day The Captain Cook Hotel is a good choice in my humble opinion.

Keith

agree with Keith and Tallship 100%. If doing your own transfer you could consider the train instead of a shuttle, and I think you can purchase that option from Regent. The tunnel can delay traffic, when the trains are coming/going thru, traffic is stopped. Had some friends who did the train on their own and they said it was nice, and enjoyable. I would overnight, then you just don't have that stress and can just relax once you get to Anchorage.

Thanks for the responses. Helpful info. Sounds like staying over in Anchorage is the best option. And I think we'll probably do our own air. They're are 4 of us so the deviation fees start to add up. And we're planning to head into Vancouver 2-3 days early so we should have a good cushion at the beginning.

We did the same route about 15 years ago but I couldn't remember anything about disembarking in Seward. We probably flew overnight and just didn't mind since it was just the two of us and we were younger.

Having been anchorage and Seward many times, I agree with others. No way you should consider an 11:30 am flight on the day of disembarkation. Much better to spend the night in anchorage or better yet, at alyeska which is between anchorage and Seward and right on the way. I would personally rent a car and do that. Or take the train.

We disembarked at Seward in 2009 and took the train to Anchorage, which we booked through Regent or our TA (can't recall). In any event, if you have the time and inclination, the train ride is relaxing and spectacular, and takes you through the mountains right to the airport in about 4 1/2 hours. Glaciers, pristine lakes, mountain goats etc. We highly recommend it. We elected to stay for a day or two to explore Anchorage and stayed at the Captain Cook, where we enjoyed one of our favourite meals ever, late into the night high atop the hotel as the late spring sun refused to set. A great place to stay. And if you have time before you depart, check out the Snow City cafe for breakfast or lunch. It's a short walk from the hotel. Enjoy!

We did Vancouver to Seward this past May. We used OBC 125 each to ride the bus into the airport, nice scenery. There are others who you can sometimes get around 70 dollars ea but we found our disembark day did not match their schedule, they are for the larger ships. The train leaves at 6:30 pm only going to anchorage.

Our flight was out at 11:57 pm. Most flights go out late night it seemed. Have a great trip.

• 11 months later...

I know that this is an old thread but still hope for a response.

I saw that the train from Seward to Anchorage leaves at 6:30 pm

For those who have" trained it", what did you do with your luggage after you disembarked??

Thanks in advance.

Sharon

I also am interested in the luggage storage. I am planning to take the Kenai Fjords boat trip after the cruise, then the train to Anchorage at 6:30 PM that evening, and stay overnight in Anchorage, before renting a car, and driving to Denali for 4 days. Hopefully, there will be enough time to make the train, after the boat excursion.