World Cruise-Port or Starboard?

pactrav

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply! I really appreciate the info and the welcome to CC.

What you have to say makes sense. Interested in what other members have to say since I am relatively new to cruising.

Is there anyone out there who would vote for Port side on the Regent 2017 world cruise?

Thank you! :cool:

Not sure about the "technical stuff" (tilt?) but, in essence, Drib is right. It's "6 of one & half a dozen of the other".

On balance, starboard looks favourite for sunsets - but - you'll see plenty on either side & you can go on deck in any event. I wouldn't even concern myself on that score. The ports are a complete lottery, depends which way the ship berths & what views are on offer, no guarantees either way. Usually it is more favourable on 1 side arriving and the other when departing. Not always, of course, plenty of ports have panoramic vistas all round.

It would be the last thing on my mind tbh, other than to say, if available, I'd always select an aft suite and avoid all the guesswork. :)

For me I would pick starboard. DRIB has a lot of good technical reasons. The starboard side will have the most likley sight of land during most of the voyage. IMO, on this trip the starboard will have the best views going thru the Panama and Suez Canal.

I have done the Pacific crossing several times. Lots of sea days. Be sure to fill up you ebooks.

J

OK. Thanks for all the feedback.

It looks like the two choices I have at this point are 834-center of the ship on the PORT side OR 815-forward of center on the STARBOARD side. Would pick 815 due to feedback about Starboard being the "good" side but, concerned about being forward of center in rough seas.

Can you help me decide? Thanks!

Most of our cruises on the Navigator have been forward of center. While I would not recommend the first few cabins (801 - 804 for example), there is little movement or noise once you get away from those cabins.

I look at which side of the ship to be on a little differently. We look at which side of the ship the sun will be setting most of the time (particularly when the ship is in warmer climates). While we love sunsets, we dislike the sun blasting on our deck in the afternoon/early evening. The suites can get extremely hot. We can watch the sunset from other places -- we'll take the shady side whenever we can.

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm so bad at directions:o As you head towards the Southern Hemisphere from Hawaii, I believe that the sun will set on the starboard side (someone kindly correct if I'm wrong). Directions will change going through Australia or New Zealand. IMO, the hottest places will be India, Dubai and other places in the Middle East. Australia will be coming out of summer and going into fall in mid-February so it could still be warm (more or less like our September).

The best way to figure it out takes a bit of time. Look at a world map and determine which side of the ship the sun will set on in the areas where it is expected to be particularly warm (if you aren't sure - just Google weather in xxxxxxx - put in the month you will be in that port).

We also prefer not to be on the side of the ship that faces the port simply because it can be noisy (so many places where the ships dock are container ports where they work moving containers all day). While the ship docks with both the port and starboard side facing the port, it has been our experience that the starboard side faces the port the most. So, for us the bottom line is that we would select the port side but the difference is not great (unless the heat issue in the early evening would bother you as much as it bothers us).

Hope others will chime in here regarding directions the ship will be heading.:)

This seems to be just a personal choice. We've spent many nights on the Navigator and have always been on deck 6, midship-ish Starboard (the side with balconies). We're booked on the 2017 WC on deck 6, starboard mid ship.

I agree with TC that when docked, it seems like Starboard side most often faces the port, but certainly not always. On previous Voyager WC's I loved being on Starboard because unlike TC....I LOVE seeing all the action going on. I love seeing locals early morning greet us in foreign lands (often music and dance) while standing in our bathrobes on our balcony. I enjoy watching passengers getting off and on. I have great memories of watching fellow passengers reboarding, especially in African ports carrying so many unique souvenirs such as huge 5'carved wood giraffes and such thinking I hope they live near our final port without any flights home! Haha, I guess I'm more into the " people watching" than the quiet part.

I never really thought about the sunnier vs. the shadier sides but that may certainly be a consideration.

Psychologically we're so use to be on Starboard side that this is our preference but after all is said and done, it really makes very little difference. We've been very happy when on port side as well :) You won't go wrong with either port or starboard.

Thank you Marcie for your reply. It seems like there are as many opinions as there are cabins! :-)

One of my other concerns regarding cabin 815 (currently on hold) would be stability in rough seas as it is forward of mid-ship. In your experiece or that of other "veterans," will that be an issue?

Thanks much for all the great advice.

I've never stayed on deck 8 myself but at first glance of the deck plan, I think you'll be just fine there. We're in 617 which is also more forward and we booked it with no hesitation.

On our previous 2 WCs we received an individual booklet for each segment with descriptions of the tours offered, maybe this was included at the time we received our cruise docs? It basically gave the same information as we read on line now. We could read up on them at our leisure and checked boxes of our choice on a paper form. Once on board we were still making bookings as well as making some changes and cancellations along the way with no problem. During those days we had to pay for excursions (except for the special events ).

Since it's been a number of years since Regent has done WCs, I have no idea how it will be handled in 2017. I guess time will tell.

I do hope they do it the booklet way. It's a nice keepsake and we've save all ours. Another really nice keepsake given each segment was a small booklet with all the guests names and the city and state they were from. To protect your privacy, you could opt out of this but I don't remember anyone who did (it didn't give cabin #'s, phone #'s, addresses etc.)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome. It was fun reading todays posts. Interesting comments and questions. We like mid-ship for our cabins on cruises (less up and down motion.) As for Port vs. Starboard we've never noticed that it mattered much.

Petlover mentioned getting booklets on previous WCs. I liked getting booklets also. Years ago almost all cruises gave out booklets. We haven't received one in years. Now, almost everything is viewed online.

All and all, we are looking forward to this WC and meeting you all.

In colonial days, British civil servants voyaging to India went by the advice "port out, starboard home". Assuming your WC travels across the Pacific first, following that advice would put you on the starboard side, to avoid the hot afternoon sun.

In colonial days, British civil servants voyaging to India went by the advice "port out, starboard home". Assuming your WC travels across the Pacific first, following that advice would put you on the starboard side, to avoid the hot afternoon sun.

We still use "POSH" when flying (depending upon the direction). This helps us avoid having the sun in our window:)

• 2 months later...

Petlover, looks like we will be your neighbors on the 2017 WC. Rebecca and I are in 619. We have only done one WC and that was in 2010 (last one). One our recent grand cruises they did provided booklets with excursion detailed info. We have received "Guest Directories" on 2010 WC, 2012 Circle South America, and 2013 Bejing to London cruises. It was explained to me by a Regent exec that they were no longer doing them due to privacy issues. We LOVE them. Will be on 2016 Circle SA cruise again in January so will see if the directories have indeed been discontinued. See ya on WC.