Dubai to Cape Town suite advice

jillyf

We are booked on this cruise and after reading the thread about which side to choose on the world cruise I think we have picked the wrong suite.

We are on the port side on deck 9.

We would like to sit out on the verandah in the late afternoon to read and have a drink. Will it be too hot? If we managed to change suites, will it still be too hot on the starboard side?

I would appreciate advice from cruisers who did have done this cruise or similar.

While I'm a bit challenged by direction, it appears that the sun will set on the port side of the ship. It will be winter so it will set rather early. In terms of sitting out on your balcony, it depends upon your heat tolerance. When we sailed through India, it was too warm for us to be on the balcony (or anywhere else comfortably). We have not sailed down coast of Africa - you may want to Google some of the ports to see what the average temperature is when you will be there. I looked up one port - Mombasa - here are the results http://www.holiday-weather.com/mombasa/averages/ . Hope this helps!

Edited by Travelcat2

For the first part of the cruise, Dubai to Mumbai (4 days), the port side will be on the northerly side of the ship (shaded much of the day), then Mumbai to Male (5 days, one at sea) you'll be sailing more or less south so port side will have morning sun/afternoon shade, then from Male to Mombasa you'll be on the south side with sun all day (four sea days), and after that you'll be heading south/southwest where you'll probably have a bit less sun on the port side in the afternoon. I've somewhat discounted port stays in looking at this since it is an absolute dice roll on how the ship will be oriented while docked.

if you are on the November 2015 cruise (we'll be getting off in Dubai as you board), it'll be winter (as a season, not by temperature!) as you start but the days will be getting longer as you head south since you'll arrive in Cape Town during their summer.

So, it seems to me that the port side comes out slightly ahead for afternoon shade, but it's a close call.

BTW, assuming you are talking about this November, you'll be boarding as we disembark in Dubai.

Edited by Portolan

Thanks for the replies.

I will keep track of the temperatures. That looks a nice website TC. Hopefully India won't be too hot for us.

Portolan, your information helped too and we will leave our suite as booked 16 months ago.

Have a great cruise and leave it in good shape for us. :)

We will be interested to read any reports you post along the way.

Our roll call hasn't been as busy as last years, but we are getting excited as it is getting closer.

Jill