Food

roxybaby

My wife once ordered two tails and had me order one (I don't eat lobster YUK!) because she thought they would be small. However when they came out they were pretty big:eek:. She made me look stupid because my whole lobster tail (untouched) was still sitting there. The waiter was like:eek: you did not eat your lobster:confused: I just said ":o I had never tried it before so I got it and afterwards wife said before I took a bite of mine try hers" (maybe someone else at the table will want it, no one did). Next time I told her just get two and if they are small then order another one. Anyways back to the question I do believe lobster is severed the second formal night (don't worry if you are on a 7 day or longer cruise you WILL get lobster).

Doesn't taste as good as a Main RI Noreaster Lobster.

No it's not! Stores and the fish market in Washington DC buy fish off the boat, Ice it and sell it, NYC requires it to be frozen. I have friends in MD and VA who fish for commercial fish don't freeze and what is Sushi?? Oh yes, raw fish!:D

Edited by WupperAV

All seafood is "previously" frozen.....it's a law. They freeze it to kill any parasites in the seafood....unless you catch it yourself, it's been frozen right after it's been caught.

At restaurants at home we can get it flown in daily so still live and swimming around in fish tanks.

Yes, all on cruise ships is previously frozen.

My wife once ordered two tails and had me order one (I don't eat lobster YUK!) because she thought they would be small...

I'm guessing this anecdote dates from years ago. Now if anyone asked for two tails the waiter would not bring her the second one until she finished the first one.

All seafood is "previously" frozen.....it's a law. They freeze it to kill any parasites in the seafood....unless you catch it yourself, it's been frozen right after it's been caught.
Maybe on the ship but otherwise, it isn't. We get fresh caught lobster shipped live to CA. I lived for over 35 years just northeast of Boston where lobster pots are the norm in the harbor. All lobster served was fresh. Never frozen.

What actually is main lobster,is it lobster served in The Main Dining Room.

Re post 8, 10

It's mainly nothing like real lobster.

Well I think that's what they mean.

Normally frozen, thawed and rubbery, I still usually have some, simply because bad lobster is still OK.

Best Lobster I ever had on a cruise was our first Tassie cruise, they took on fresh Lobster in Hobart, watched them loading it, melt in your mouth stuff and not just lobster tail like they seem to use now, but whole (well half) lobster.

Sheesh Gut, are you talking "lobster" or fair dinkum Aussie crayfish? Fresh out of the water, straight into the pot then served with some fresh bread and butter and several squeezes of lemon juice. Aaaaah, just like angels dancing on your tongue! Just make sure you remove the poop shute before you start eating. ;):rolleyes::D

Aaaah memories. Don't think the bank would give me a personal loan so I could afford to buy a fresh crayfish these days. How I long for the old days. :confused:

Sheesh Gut, are you talking "lobster" or fair dinkum Aussie crayfish? Fresh out of the water, straight into the pot then served with some fresh bread and butter and several squeezes of lemon juice. Aaaaah, just like angels dancing on your tongue! Just make sure you remove the poop shute before you start eating. ;):rolleyes::D

Aaaah memories. Don't think the bank would give me a personal loan so I could afford to buy a fresh crayfish these days. How I long for the old days. :confused:

Yep. Water .... pot ..... mouth.

Like growing up knocking oysters off the rocks around the lake.

Yep. Water .... pot ..... mouth.

Like growing up knocking oysters off the rocks around the lake.

Yep, or like catching yabbies in the dam when I went to stay with my Auntie and Uncle in the country. Gosh, you'd pay a fortune for them as well these days. :mad:

Tassie is still the best place for fresh crayfish. Next time you're down there, check out Bicheno on the east coast. Aaaaah!

Yep, or like catching yabbies in the dam when I went to stay with my Auntie and Uncle in the country. Gosh, you'd pay a fortune for them as well these days. :mad:

Tassie is still the best place for fresh crayfish. Next time you're down there, check out Bicheno on the east coast. Aaaaah!

No arguments there.

Amazing what we used to eat for free that's now considered a luxury.

From the lake good old Blue Swimmer crabs saw some in a shop the other day O.M.G. Again water, pot.mouth, now $$$$$$