taking a thermos of coffee off the ship?

BuckeyeMark

I have a nice small thermos and was thinking it would be nice to have some hot coffee on some of our excursions in New England and Canada next week. then I thought ... wonder if they are letting me get off with that? anybody have any experience with this? I think I've got off the ship with water bottles before but I don't really want to bring the thermos if they aren't going to let me carry it off the ship.

I have a nice small thermos and was thinking it would be nice to have some hot coffee on some of our excursions in New England and Canada next week. then I thought ... wonder if they are letting me get off with that? anybody have any experience with this? I think I've got off the ship with water bottles before but I don't really want to bring the thermos if they aren't going to let me carry it off the ship.

Don't know about a thermos full of coffee....last May we were not allowed to take off the ship cups of coffee/mocha from the IC. They, of course, were in our hands so very visible....the thermos would probably be in your backpack/carry bag so might get by unless they screen and have you take it out of your bag and open..

As a rule, they won't let you take anything like that off the ship.

I have a nice small thermos and was thinking it would be nice to have some hot coffee on some of our excursions...

Even if you can get it off the ship in a bag you shouldn't. The cruise lines, including Princess, don't want beverages, food or anything that might transmit disease to come on or off the boat. Nothing living, no beverages, fruit, a sandwich for lunch etc. You definitely can't bring back shells you might find on the beach. My wife knows this one first hand, they actually pulled them out of her bag after being scanned and gave her a good scolding. Shells you buy in a store are OK because they have been cleaned.

Now I'm sure it happens and you could likely take your thermos with you but again, you really shouldn't.

Here's different perspective with regards to the thermos. Granted I love to leisurely sip coffee, and it sounds marvelous I would refrain for risk of losing your thermos. You may be able to walk off with it, but coming onboard is another issue. The thermos may be considered as another way of bringing alcohol or drugs on board. Your thermos would be confiscated and tossed by any port authority clearance you may go through before even arriving at the Princess security check-point. I would not want to risk even being put into this situation.

I have never been searched or had to put bags through a scanner on the way off the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depends upon the port. Have been in ports where they check bags and gave dogs looking for food when exiting.

The ship will give the rules for the country.

Even if you can get it off the ship in a bag you shouldn't. The cruise lines, including Princess, don't want beverages, food or anything that might transmit disease to come on or off the boat. Nothing living, no beverages, fruit, a sandwich for lunch etc. You definitely can't bring back shells you might find on the beach. My wife knows this one first hand, they actually pulled them out of her bag after being scanned and gave her a good scolding. Shells you buy in a store are OK because they have been cleaned.

Now I'm sure it happens and you could likely take your thermos with you but again, you really shouldn't.

The rules are generally driven by the country the port is in together with the other countries on the cruise. North as South American countries have fairly strit agriculture restrictions. Did not have any in Iceland on recent cruise.

We had a fillable water bottle (won it in a princes trivia game) we filled it with water on ship and took it off and brought them back on. One was in a big beach bag the other in a little water bottle purse (also had princess logo on it) that kept it cool. That went through the scanner all on its own and we had no issues. Sometimes the bottles were empty upon return others they still had water in them. But I was told at the IC that we could not bring their to-go cups off the ship when I asked once if I could take the hot cocoa off.

Edited by cruzrbachoua

One question and ten different answers... If it were me with my limited experience I would simply ask once I was onboard. :)

You are however stopping in Canada where Tim Hortons is a Canadian staple. IMO there isn't better coffee than a large Timmy :D

The rules are generally driven by the country the port is in together with the other countries on the cruise. North as South American countries have fairly strit agriculture restrictions. Did not have any in Iceland on recent cruise.

Exactly. In Mexico we were not even allowed to take off a bottle of water. I think they wanted us to support the local economy. Well, given that I won't eat or drink in Mexico, I turned around and reboarded the ship. How's that for 'contributing" to the economy. Now I don't book cruises that go there.

No offence meant, but I disagree with GRAYTECH.

We have not had anyone scan for things going off the ship on our last Princess Cruise, just go ahead and do it. A flask of hot coffee to take off the ship sounds like a good idea!

Talking about transmitting diseases off the boat, I think that is taking things a bit too far. You are on a holiday, you are NOT doing a stint in the Foreign Legion having to abide to a host of rules that "you shouldn't do this and you shouldn't do that"! Come on, just chill out and enjoy!!! Besides, a hot flask of coffee would probably kill most germs.

On some slightly more "luxury" cruise lines, eg Oceania, they even OFFERED free bottles of water for you to take off the ship (they hand the water to you at the exit), whenever they docked anywhere. Don't tell me those cruise lines do not observe safety in transmitting diseases, of course, they do.

PS: What the cruise ship crew usually do would be to scan your bag when you come on board, not when you disembark. Just remember your cruise card and your passport (don't remember if Princess takes your passport off you, one of the cruise lines did).

Edited by Cahpek

About taking your flask of coffee off the ship, please check what is the policy of the country you are entering.

Some countries like Chile, they are so stringent in keeping out food and vegetation items from entering their country, they would have sniffer dogs smell you for food or drinks. And if they catch you, you face a hefty fine.

So, if you are going into a country like Chile, no thermos flasks of coffee for you to take down, I am afraid !

About taking your flask of coffee off the ship, please check what is the customs policy of the country you are entering (I did not realize earlier you were going into New England and Canada).

Some countries like Chile, they are so stringent in keeping out food and vegetation items from entering their country, they would have sniffer dogs smell you for food or drinks. And if they catch you, you face a hefty fine.

As you are going down into New England, and Canada, you might find that American and Canadian custom rules on food entering into their countries might be very strict too, so bear that in mind. ( I am not sure if your ship comes from another American or Canadian port, what the customs consider about bringing food in.)

Princess might not "catch" you doing taking your thermos of hot coffee down, but the US and Canadian customs might still give you a hefty fine -which of course, would not be good at all. Sorry to have to remind you of that. So, probably no hot coffee for you to take off board, I am afraid, unless the customs allow.

Edited by Cahpek

Depends upon the port. Have been in ports where they check bags and gave dogs looking for food when exiting.

The ship will give the rules for the country.

We were told in at least one country (Mexico?) upon disembarking that it was ILLEGAL to take food or beverages off the ship. So be sure to check ahead of time!

I travel with a big 32 oz insulated cup from 7-11. I drink caffeine free Diet Coke so I slap a luggage tag on a 12 pack when we embark and it shows up in our cabin with no problem.

I have frequently walked off the ship with the big cup in hand and have never until now, reading this post, given it a second thought. I've never been stopped. Coming from California I can understand not allowing fresh fruit and vegetables. Some small organism transferred into another country can destroy their agriculture. But given the ingredients in Diet Coke, (or coffee) I don't think that would be a problem. I don't think any pathogens would survive!

Funny story, last time we were in Princess Cays the young man helping us find a good spot and moving our lounge chairs for us was fascinated by the size of the cup. If this had been our last stop I would have given it to him, but since it was the first stop and we had 3 more beach days ahead I didn't offer it. He wanted to know where I bought it. I told him 7-11 and he had no idea what I was talking about. He had never been off the island of Eleuthera. Try explaining the concept of 7-11 to someone who had never been to one!

Some small organism transferred into another country can destroy their agriculture. But given the ingredients in Diet Coke, (or coffee) I don't think that would be a problem.

Dairy products are also a problem in some areas, and coffee with milk in it would be considered a dairy product.

Word of advice: don't try to take anything off a ship in Chile. :D

Dairy products are also a problem in some areas, and coffee with milk in it would be considered a dairy product.

Word of advice: don't try to take anything off a ship in Chile. :D

Oh no worries - we have established not to take stuff off the ship in Chile! I might not get of the ship in Chile!

I really can't wait for this cruise ... Newport, Boston, St. John, Halifax and Chile. Might be a day at sea between those two last ports...:D

Exactly. In Mexico we were not even allowed to take off a bottle of water. I think they wanted us to support the local economy. Well' date=' given that I won't eat or drink in Mexico, I turned around and reboarded the ship. How's that for 'contributing" to the economy. Now I don't book cruises that go there.[/quote']

You refused to get off the ship and wasted a port visit and now refuse to even book cruises in the area because they wouldn't let you take a bottle of water off the ship? Seriously? :confused:

Edited by sloopsailor