Another American Rant - I Only Complain About Complainers ~

VABeach

Ok, I am getting ready to take my first MSC Cruise, and like a Good Vacationer, I have done my Homework. I have Researched and Read Reviews, and I have to say that I am somewhat ANNOYED.

Please:

If the Airline looses your Luggage, please don't Rate the Cruise Line a 2 because you are unhappy about it.

If you plan on leaving your CHILDREN in someone else's care while you go galavant around in another country without them - please make your Children's Child Care Arrangements your First Priority when you get on the Boat, don't wait until Midnight the night before to find out Details.

If you Book a Shopping Excursion, the Tour will stop at Shops.

If you book a Cruise on an ITALIAN Cruise Line, people will speak Italian.

If you book on an Italian Cruise Line, the children will speak Italian.

If you book on an Italian Cruise Line, the Announcements will be in Italian.

If you book on an Italian Cruise Line, the Food will be Italian.

*If* things are provided for you in English - Hurray! - Aren't they sweet.

If you wanted an American Cruise - Book one.

If you are ill prepared, it's not the Cruise Line's fault.

Just Sayin ~ :cool:

It's for some of those reasons you mention in your post that I find reading the reviews and the posts here on the MSC forum (although sometimes annoying) a more reliable source of information than relying solely on the ratings numbers. I believe that people in some cases give low numbers for reasons that either are not really relevant (like in your first example) or for complaints they have that would be non-issues for me.

Like you, I did my research before I sailed. I found knowing what people liked and especially what they disliked helped me make the most of my cruise. Was it perfect? No. But, I can't say things were perfect on any cruise I've had. But for me, the positives far outweighed the minor negatives I experienced, and I look forward to cruising with MSC again. I hope you find the same when you take your cruise on MSC.

Ok, I am getting ready to take my first MSC Cruise, and like a Good Vacationer, I have done my Homework. I have Researched and Read Reviews, and I have to say that I am somewhat ANNOYED.

Please:

If the Airline looses your Luggage, please don't Rate the Cruise Line a 2 because you are unhappy about it.

If you plan on leaving your CHILDREN in someone else's care while you go galavant around in another country without them - please make your Children's Child Care Arrangements your First Priority when you get on the Boat, don't wait until Midnight the night before to find out Details.

If you book a Cruise on an ITALIAN Cruise Line, people will speak Italian.

If you book on an Italian Cruise Line, the Announcements will be in Italian.

If you book on an Italian Cruise Line, the Food will be Italian.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your post!!

I too, do my research... I will be on MSC next week for the 4 night bahamas cruise...

I know I will learn how to count to 11 on the elevator, since my cabin is on that deck. and even have an Italian class to boot! :)

I dont think Im gonna be happy with the food.. but will I complain, NO, its an italian/ mediterranian (sp) cruise! I expect it. I definately wont go hungry thats for sure! I will enjoy myself no matter what. a slice of pizza will be fine.. they DO have that! did my research! :)

Im not sure what else will come my way, but I expect the unexpected! and deal with it.. smile and go on... I enjoy the fun of it. thats a challenge. I will probably be a minority, im from FL, USA. but do I mind? NOPE.. will work with everyone else with the language barrier. be thankful we are able to be there cruising

I booked this cruise!!! Its a girls cruise, leaving hubby at home! Its different than my normal NCL ship!

can you imagine how frustrating it is when english speaking passengers try to speak to those who cant speak english, your cabin steward for example.. TRY to communicate with them, smile and say THANK YOU.. they know what that means.. when you are pleasant, and nice to others, it makes YOUR trip a bit more pleasant also. ;)

Looking forward to cruising my first cruise with MSC....

NEXT!!!!

LOL>>>

you might want to look at my "tips" for the Poesia..

sailing on MSC does require some "adjustments" ....they won't easily "adjust" to you but you can prepare yourself and enjoy it

I do laugh at the oft stated "the food is Italian">> since when was mayonaise and frozen peas and carrots fine Italian cuisine?? again.....read my tips

If you book a Cruise on an ITALIAN Cruise Line, people will speak Italian. Fewer than you might think

If you book on an Italian Cruise Line, the Announcements will be in Italian. And German, French,Spanish and English

If you book on an Italian Cruise Line, the Food will be Italian. Not all of it

Just sayin

LOL>>

before my first MSC cruise I was highly frustrated at some truly awful customer service. IF my fellow Americans appreciate the fact they can now choose Ms as their title..and/or print express pass without a passport you can "thank me" and the hours I spent fighting on the phone LOL LOL

I also had a gal on our rollcall who took it upon herself to be the "Polyanna"...calling ME "negative nelly" and worse...

"any day crusing is better" blah blah

"make lemonade"

well...I never met her but she only posted once after the cruise, she posted a "rant" she did not like the food, languages etc etc...she then deleted most of that post and has not been back to cruise critic

I guess she didn't make "lemonade" LOL

another "positive" guy who took me to task sailed MSC ...no review, no more posts here

At least I posted an honest and suprisingly mostly positive review of my cruise

and I am ...yes...going again

MSC...to their credit ...has been much better to work with this time

Last time I had over 100 people to answer to....and lots of problems with the express pass and with MSC (in fact, since they changed their mind and didn't "count" us as a group, my poor travel agent had to "link" all of us together for dinner...some ended up way out of the way, some in our singles group ended up at 4 tops or even 2 tops...really ridiculous and awkward)

still I made the best of it...but my detractor slunk away never to post again

so much for a positive attitude LOL>> I personally am more proactive

I liked many things about my cruise and hope to enjoy this one

I only have 20 in the group this time but a few repeat clients who did enjoy MSC. MSC has agreed to include us in a group cocktail party this time

They are also better about telling us (some) of the schedule so that we can schedule things

so....I plan to follow my own "tips", enjoy the affordable drink coupon deal (12 for price of 10)....enjoy the wine we were able to preorder easily this time (as opposed to hoops and loops last cruise LOL)

I will enjoy the lovely spa area, the shows, the music....and I know what /how to order at dinner

Oh...and avoid the "front desk">> avoid the "front desk" LOL

LOL>>>

you might want to look at my "tips" for the Poesia..

sailing on MSC does require some "adjustments" ....they won't easily "adjust" to you but you can prepare yourself and enjoy it

I do laugh at the oft stated "the food is Italian">> since when was mayonaise and frozen peas and carrots fine Italian cuisine?? again.....read my tips

The mayonaise and frozen peas and carrots are probably found on the Caribbean cruises which try to satisfy American tastes given the demographics of those itineraries. On MSC European cruises they have many items that attempt to meet international tastes and customs in addition to the normal, very good Italian specialties.

I'm sure you are aware after all that research to MSC is one of the lowest rated lines reviewed on CC.

Lowest, but the actual rating difference is not all that great, only a few points. And also puts one of the top ships of England in the same area - Queen Elizabeth.

For only a few points it's just people rating it slightly lower because it's not as comfortable as they're used to, given the American emphasis of this site. That's pretty understandable.

:rolleyes:

LOL>>

before my first MSC cruise I was highly frustrated at some truly awful customer service. IF my fellow Americans appreciate the fact they can now choose Ms as their title..and/or print express pass without a passport you can "thank me" and the hours I spent fighting on the phone LOL LOL

I also had a gal on our rollcall who took it upon herself to be the "Polyanna"...calling ME "negative nelly" and worse...

"any day crusing is better" blah blah

"make lemonade"

well...I never met her but she only posted once after the cruise, she posted a "rant" she did not like the food, languages etc etc...she then deleted most of that post and has not been back to cruise critic

I guess she didn't make "lemonade" LOL

another "positive" guy who took me to task sailed MSC ...no review, no more posts here

At least I posted an honest and suprisingly mostly positive review of my cruise

and I am ...yes...going again

MSC...to their credit ...has been much better to work with this time

Last time I had over 100 people to answer to....and lots of problems with the express pass and with MSC (in fact, since they changed their mind and didn't "count" us as a group, my poor travel agent had to "link" all of us together for dinner...some ended up way out of the way, some in our singles group ended up at 4 tops or even 2 tops...really ridiculous and awkward)

still I made the best of it...but my detractor slunk away never to post again

so much for a positive attitude LOL>> I personally am more proactive

I liked many things about my cruise and hope to enjoy this one

I only have 20 in the group this time but a few repeat clients who did enjoy MSC. MSC has agreed to include us in a group cocktail party this time

They are also better about telling us (some) of the schedule so that we can schedule things

so....I plan to follow my own "tips", enjoy the affordable drink coupon deal (12 for price of 10)....enjoy the wine we were able to preorder easily this time (as opposed to hoops and loops last cruise LOL)

I will enjoy the lovely spa area, the shows, the music....and I know what /how to order at dinner

Oh...and avoid the "front desk">> avoid the "front desk" LOL

Why would you go again on line you hated so much ,on line where is nasty food and nasty customer service??? I hate NCL and I will never cruis with them even for free ,why you would go again?:rolleyes:;)

Where did Esty say she hated the line? She actually has a way of fairly evaluating what she found good and what not too good. After her very difficult dealing with the front desk she simply suggests to herself and others "avoid the front desk". I find her posts informative in a funny way.

Way to go,Esty!:D

:rolleyes:

Why would you go again on line you hated so much ,on line where is nasty food and nasty customer service??? I hate NCL and I will never cruis with them even for free ,why you would go again?:rolleyes:;)

Well...IF you read my "mixed" review....I actually liked the ship decor, cleanliness, crew (except for front desk)....

and my "tips" provide a way for an American like me to enjoy the trip

IF you remember, much of my former frustration was from an uncaring ground staff that gave us totally wrong info on boarding/show/dinner times....the frustration of having the work and efforts of a large group that was not "counted" as a group for perks (and not counted for tour conductor etc)...

it was like doing "double work">> our poor travel agent had to keept submitting :links: for us to dine together..one by one...some in the group were not seated with us...many many snafus

The boarding pass issue was a huge headache...when the Ft Lauderdale office told some cruisers they could "not sail without a passport">> in fact at that point they told me that :eek: and the website was unable to let americans put in their info for express check in without a passport...the website was set for Europe

This has been rehashed and rehashed...but unlike you I am willing to give it a 2nd chance, and so far so good...we are a "group", we will be seated together, they are more forthcoming about details (for instance our formal night will be night 3, our sea day)...we get a group cocktail party this time, so let's see

So some of my problems were not the average problem (tho the room service was totally inediable...and now I KNOW to make sure I have ice water and lemons every night)

Supposedly MSC is trying to impress Americans on this cruise (lots of travel agents)...so hopefully I will have a happy report

On a positive note : the last 3 reviews of MSC were really happy, 4 and 5 star....and from Americans. I am going to go with an open mind and enjoy myself :) Wish me luck

thanks

Where did Esty say she hated the line? She actually has a way of fairly evaluating what she found good and what not too good. After her very difficult dealing with the front desk she simply suggests to herself and others "avoid the front desk". I find her posts informative in a funny way.

Way to go,Esty!:D

I agree. I really appreciated her review and tips, and they helped me prepare for my first MSC cruise. If people only share info on the positives, it sets people up for disappointment when what they experience isn't perfection.

I just cruised the MSC Poseia 2/4 to 2/11 out of Fort Lauderdale.

This was my 39th cruise and 2nd on MSC.

Let me just say the the ship was beautiful and the entertaiment in the the evening shows is outstanding. As an experienced cruiser I would say that overall the food is not as good as I have had on NCL and Carnival in the past. With that being said, MSC has the "best" salad bar of any of the other cruise lines that I have been on. They even added the same ice cream/yogurt machines that the other lines have in addition to the homemade gelato that they sell. I think the reason that they get rated lower overall is because of the lack of patience that most US travelers have with regards to every announcement being made in 5 different languages. If you have a little patience and food is not the primary reason you cruise, then MSC will provide you with a little diversity in culture and a great week of cruising.

Cruising is what you make it, not what you expect it to be!

Please don't get me wrong, I read reviews for a reason. I have more confidence in people's actual opinions about something than ratings. This is mostly because people DO actually rate a cruise line bad because the airline lost their luggage, and they DO rate the cruise line badly because they speak Italian.

Sometimes I just wonder what people think... why would you book a cruise on an Italian Cruise Line if you aren't in it for the Italian Experiance?

I appreciate people being honest enough to post their opinions and insights; occasionally, I just want to hand people a "Here's Your Sign" sign. :rolleyes:

My husband and I have twice sailed on the MSC Poesia. We had wonderful times aboard this beautiful ship! The only thing that I hate is that MSC doesn't cruise the Caribbean year round. We had several opportunities to interact with the front desk, and were always treated in a courteous and friendly manner. We have cruised for many, many years. Our very first cruise was the Flavia, and hopefully, not our last, is aboard the Ruby Princess. I lurk on many boards, especially when trying to decide on a cruise. What I have found is that for some unknown reason, people seem to be unreasonably harsh about the MSC Poesia . . .

Please don't get me wrong, I read reviews for a reason. I have more confidence in people's actual opinions about something than ratings. This is mostly because people DO actually rate a cruise line bad because the airline lost their luggage, and they DO rate the cruise line badly because they speak Italian.

Sometimes I just wonder what people think... why would you book a cruise on an Italian Cruise Line if you aren't in it for the Italian Experiance?

I appreciate people being honest enough to post their opinions and insights; occasionally, I just want to hand people a "Here's Your Sign" sign. :rolleyes:

Completely agree. What people say gives insight into what is behind the numbers. While this holds true for any rating system, I've found it was especially important to me for understanding some of the low ratings for MSC in view of what is important to me.

Personally, for instance complaints about embarkation, while important to know and I appreciate it when people write about their experience, aren't things I usually hold against the cruiseline. More often in my experience it is the local port authority and security that causes delays. So, while it informs me as to when I might want to arrive at a port or makes me consider whether I really want to embark at a certain port, it doesn't lower the cruiseline score for me.

I discount complaints about lack of tea or coffee making facilities in the cabin (mainly by British reviewers), because they wouldn't find those on most (not all) American cruise lines.

I discount complaints about service charge on drinks and daily service charge because you would find that on just about any American cruise line.

Complaints about photographers aren't important to me personally. Haven't bought a photo on board in years and I find them obnoxious on all cruise lines.

I never use the buffet so complaints about service, lack of seats, food at the buffet while I expect are VERY important to others, aren't important at all to me.

I find the many complaints about the blue plastic mugs to be funny. In the self serve area of ships that I've been on recently they are always some sort of non-breakable material. I wonder if MSC chose white instead of blue if there would be fewer complaints.

Complaints about other passengers, in my view, aren't reasons to lower a cruiseline's rating especially when talking about cruises in the Mediterranean. That doesn't mean that knowing that there will be many more Europeans than North Americans on a line like MSC than on Royal Caribbean may not be valuable information -- especially for those who prefer to travel with mostly North Americans.

I do care about complaints about overall service and food, but I believe the first is often (not always) colored by the individual's other perceptions and the latter is very subjective. The narrative vice numbers are the only way to evaluate what their opinion means to me.

I believe some people may book with MSC because they find a great price and go on the cruise expecting it to be just like their British or American cruise line experience and complain about each thing that is different. I found the similarities much greater than the differences, and I fortunately wasn't really bothered by the differences.

I see we are almost neighbors....we are in Williamsburg, Va.

To the poster that said they know they will not like the food... it ws gret the last time we sailed and always was very good. The last time on our 10 night cruise in the Caribbean we had friends with us who are real foodies. They loved each meal. If you get the Italian dishes and the veal dishes and stay away from the rather bland stars and stipes section you will really enjoy the food. Standouts are the lasagna, any spinach/cheese crepe, canalioni,( get this as an appetizer though not as a main meal), any eggplant dish. Their pasta specials are great with wonderful full seasoning of garlic and very light sauces. They have some great dishes not to be missed. For dessert: their panna cotta is by far wonderful. If they do baked Alaska on your cruise pls indulge. It is unlike other cruise lines. On MSC they baked it perfectly with a wonderful consistency to the meringue. The sponge cake is not a thin tiny layer but a nice proportion to the ice cream. The ice cream has always been a special surprise. One yr it was pistacio. Last time it was a banana coconut and another flavor.....excellent.

Completely agree. What people say gives insight into what is behind the numbers. While this holds true for any rating system, I've found it was especially important to me for understanding some of the low ratings for MSC in view of what is important to me.

Personally, for instance complaints about embarkation, while important to know and I appreciate it when people write about their experience, aren't things I usually hold against the cruiseline. More often in my experience it is the local port authority and security that causes delays. So, while it informs me as to when I might want to arrive at a port or makes me consider whether I really want to embark at a certain port, it doesn't lower the cruiseline score for me.

I discount complaints about lack of tea or coffee making facilities in the cabin (mainly by British reviewers), because they wouldn't find those on most (not all) American cruise lines.

I discount complaints about service charge on drinks and daily service charge because you would find that on just about any American cruise line.

Complaints about photographers aren't important to me personally. Haven't bought a photo on board in years and I find them obnoxious on all cruise lines.

I never use the buffet so complaints about service, lack of seats, food at the buffet while I expect are VERY important to others, aren't important at all to me.

I find the many complaints about the blue plastic mugs to be funny. In the self serve area of ships that I've been on recently they are always some sort of non-breakable material. I wonder if MSC chose white instead of blue if there would be fewer complaints.

Complaints about other passengers, in my view, aren't reasons to lower a cruiseline's rating especially when talking about cruises in the Mediterranean. That doesn't mean that knowing that there will be many more Europeans than North Americans on a line like MSC than on Royal Caribbean may not be valuable information -- especially for those who prefer to travel with mostly North Americans.

I do care about complaints about overall service and food, but I believe the first is often (not always) colored by the individual's other perceptions and the latter is very subjective. The narrative vice numbers are the only way to evaluate what their opinion means to me.

I believe some people may book with MSC because they find a great price and go on the cruise expecting it to be just like their British or American cruise line experience and complain about each thing that is different. I found the similarities much greater than the differences, and I fortunately wasn't really bothered by the differences.

It's very clear that the level you have established for your base standards that MSC will be a great fit for you.

I kind of expect it to be similar to the two Costa cruises I took. I found them to be much closer to the Italian Experiance of actaully being in Italy than the Norweigan Cruise I took in the Med. That's why I booked MSC.

I have, however, found the Customer Service to be better on ANYTHING American Owned and Operated, and not ALL European Food appeals to my Pallet as well as the American Food that I am used to, but if I wanted an American Experiance - I would just go to Disney - or not. ;)

I'm sure you'll have a great time, you seem well prepared and open minded, after all, VERY few of us have been on a BAD cruise, all are different, even within the same lines, some lines are just further from the established standard than others.

The superior Customer service/management exhibited in the Concordia crash and the MSC gangway collapses (2), the Opera hitting the dock in Buenos Aires plus the recent pictures of Poesia hitting the pilings and running aground in the Bahamas indicates something wrong.

The pendulum swings both ways

It's very clear that the level you have established for your base standards that MSC will be a great fit for you.

Not sure what you mean by "the level you have established for your base standards," but it certainly seems that you're implying I have low standards. I may value different things from you, but my standards are not low. It also may be that things like the food on the one MSC cruise I took were better prepared and served than on the one MSC cruise you took. If I rated RCCL solely on one of the cruises I took on the Grandeur, they would get my all time low rating due to poorly prepared food (same menu as other ships just poorly prepared) and poor service. Fortunately, it wasn't my first cruise on RCCL so while it was my worst cruise ever I don't base my opinion on the line based on that one cruise.

Not sure what you mean by "the level you have established for your base standards," but it certainly seems that you're implying I have low standards. I may value different things from you, but my standards are not low. It also may be that things like the food on the one MSC cruise I took were better prepared and served than on the one MSC cruise you took. If I rated RCCL solely on one of the cruises I took on the Grandeur, they would get my all time low rating due to poorly prepared food (same menu as other ships just poorly prepared) and poor service. Fortunately, it wasn't my first cruise on RCCL so while it was my worst cruise ever I don't base my opinion on the line based on that one cruise.

It's best not to pay any attention to his rantings. He didn't like the food on his one MSC cruise a couple years ago so he continually comes on the forum discrediting people who have enjoyed their cruise besides trying to disuade others from trying the line. He also likes to cite the ratings and polls which give MSC lower scores and points than the lines that cater to North Americans. Ignore.

Well, you've listed the failings of MSC and noted that they are acceptable to you, so their standard of quality appeals to you.

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise

Archived