Is it ok to post your own opinion on someone else's review?

Is it ok to post your own opinion on someone else's review?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to post your own opinion on someone else's review?

• Yes
    • No

I found this to be an interesting question after reading some of the banter currently on PCWalton's live Jewel thread.

Although obviously there's no rule book, I feel the answer is no... if you have an opinion, positive or negative, feel free to post your own review. I feel someone's review is more like a personal diary and the sharing of information, not the intent to debate the good or bad of various things... it's a personal thing. It's great to see the sharing of information about the ship/excursions/etc, photos, and various CC'ers thanking for the posters time and efforts to do the review.

Edited by Hoopster95

I'm currently the solo 'yes'.

I invite comment and opinion of others on the cruise to post their version of the events of the day or tour on my blog. I love hearing from others about what THEY did at a specific port of call even f they're not on the same cruise.

I totally understand how banter can detract for others the value of reading a blog for its content alone. It all depends on the intent of the author doesn't it? A 'live from' is different from a 'blog' or a 'review'

JMO

:)

I think getting into a debate (about anything) with other members on someone else's *Live* thread is in poor taste and somewhat rude. I didn't vote, because as Linda said, she appreciates comments. But I don't think bickering among members is acceptable and it detracts from the thread and probably annoys the OP that is putting the time and effort in. IMO.

All 4 of you above... excellent thoughtful responses. You've softened my no vote quite a bit with these ideas. Linda, great comment with regard to the "intent". Thank you for your input :)

Linda, great trip review on Rhapsody. Been quietly following along and appreciating your efforts as I do with all reviews... wow! What an adventure :) Aren't you behind security at the moment somewhere heading towards the Suez?? :cool:

While I don't write reports here, I've written scads of Disney and cruise reports elsewhere, and the *conversation* is what MAKES the report. If I've experienced something one way and someone else (or multiple) tells me I've got it wrong, then maybe I do. No biggie.

If a person doesn't want comments, then they can write the entire thing out in another way, then BOOM post it as close to all at once as is possible, and then say that it's done. And they don't have to come back.

Not as easy with a live report but if someone is doing one of those then they KNOW they are going to get comments. They could write it while it's "live" but not post, and just wait until they are back to put it all out there at once.

All 4 of you above... excellent thoughtful responses. You've softened my no vote quite a bit with these ideas. Linda, great comment with regard to the "intent". Thank you for your input :)

Linda, great trip review on Rhapsody. Been quietly following along and appreciating your efforts as I do with all reviews... wow! What an adventure :) Aren't you behind security at the moment somewhere heading towards the Suez?? :cool:

I believe 'Safe Haven' would have been stepped down this morning as we are now in the Red Sea. Certainly our speed has dropped right down to 16.9kts. Thanks for following :)

Back to the thread ;)

1,000% "yes". A review is a thread that people read to find out about a particular ship or cruise. The opinions of readers as well as the OP are valuable.

:)

When I post, I expect others to add. That's what makes CC work. Who wants to read a million threads to find out about one ship or one cruise?

:D

I found this to be an interesting question after reading some of the banter currently on PCWalton's live Jewel thread.

Although obviously there's no rule book, I feel the answer is no... if you have an opinion, positive or negative, feel free to post your own review. I feel someone's review is more like a personal diary and the sharing of information, not the intent to debate the good or bad of various things... it's a personal thing. It's great to see the sharing of information about the ship/excursions/etc, photos, and various CC'ers thanking for the posters time and efforts to do the review.

There is a reviews section of Cruise Critic that exists specifically for our personal reviews. No responses are possible. If any of us choose to post our review here on the chat boards, we do so knowing its going to generate responses.

However, opposing opinions should be stated in a respectful manner.

Yes.

There are two areas for reviews on this site.

In the main review section there is not the ability to comment or respond. If you don't want any responses or opinions that is the place to post.

If you post a review in the forums you are basically soliciting responses and opinions. If you don't want *some* opinions then post in the review section, otherwise you've pretty much left it open for people to freely comment. If the comments are off topic or against forum policy the moderators will remove them. I think some people do live reviews because they are attention seekers and if people don't applaud them they get a bit twisted up about it.

Simple.

I think getting into a debate (about anything) with other members on someone else's *Live* thread is in poor taste and somewhat rude. I didn't vote, because as Linda said, she appreciates comments. But I don't think bickering among members is acceptable and it detracts from the thread and probably annoys the OP that is putting the time and effort in. IMO.

I agree. I've done a few live reports as well as post cruise reviews. I welcome comments about others experiences! Live threads in general more interactive and conversational by nature.

But going completely off topic to debate an opinion? Not okay in my book...start another thread...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There is a reviews section of Cruise Critic that exists specifically for our personal reviews. No responses are possible. If any of us choose to post our review here on the chat boards, we do so knowing its going to generate responses.

That was my thought, too. If you don't want interaction, don't post on a discussion board. It is not only okay, in my opinion, it's the way it should be.

Sure, some people can be rude, but let's say someone claims all the food in the MDR was inedible. If someone else was on the very same cruise and had a great experience in the dining room, then I think it's good to see such responses. Why should they have to post a full separate review to do so?

As I said, it is true that some people can be rude, but more often than not, I see simple disagreement being described as "rude" or "attacking." But, I guess, based on this poll, there is a significant percentage of people who think it's inappropriate to disagree at all with someone else's experience on "their" thread, so maybe those are the ones who overreact (in my opinion) to any kind of disagreement.

Exactly what I was going to say, but no need to now :D

I think it's okay to post your opinion on someone's review of the trip that is done after the cruise, but not on someone's picture report or live review. There's a difference... It also depends on the person writing it... Are they posting to give a review of the ship/cruise, or are they simply posting to give the rest of us on here a chance to follow along on their cruise?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Indeed true. If the response is reasonably short, polite, and on topic, no problem. If intended to start an argument, not. If one wants to do a detailed review of their own, start another thread.

I try to avoid posting too much on a live thread. For me I can see how others who are following it get so many posts and cannot wait for the thread to display more pictures or stories on the travels of OP.

I usually try to stick to postings on "topic" sites.

Just saying.

There is a reviews section of Cruise Critic that exists specifically for our personal reviews. No responses are possible.

the *conversation* is what MAKES the report.
Yes and yes ! What is annoying are those who have an agenda and are determined to pull the thread off-topic .

Not everyone on the same cruise will have the same experience with crew staff and tastes in food and entertainment. It would be a boring world if everyone liked the same things. Like other posters have stated, I see nothing wrong in giving an opinion as long as it's done in a respectful manner and does not indicate that the person reviewing the cruise is lying or oversensitive when posting about something they experienced. Cruise reviews and opinions are "subjective" not "objective." :D