sharing drink package, thoughts?

Hello,

We are not big drinkers and are perfectly happy with our 3 free drinks per day as Diamond cruisers. However, I am curious. It seems that two or more people could easily share the cost of a drink package if the person who owns the package took on the role of drink purchaser. If the package is truly "unlimited", then the card holder should be able to get as many beverages as they want, from any bar. My hunch is there is a time limit between purchases.

Your opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Frank

This has been discussed in length several times on the boards....

No there is no time in between drinks as of yet but if people kkep abusing or attempt to abuse it, I am sure that will change.

Here is a link to the main controversy I have seen

Hello,

We are not big drinkers and are perfectly happy with our 3 free drinks per day as Diamond cruisers. However, I am curious. It seems that two or more people could easily share the cost of a drink package if the person who owns the package took on the role of drink purchaser. If the package is truly "unlimited", then the card holder should be able to get as many beverages as they want, from any bar. My hunch is there is a time limit between purchases.

In short it would be theft. There is no real difference in what you mentioned than stealing a "2nd" shirt off the rack at a department store and walking out without paying for it just because the store may not have modern security devices or just because you bought one shirt....

just because something "could" be done does not mean it "should" be done. Personally I would see it as being dishonest. You purchase the package with certain conditions. Any person with integrity should then do everything within their power to act in accordance with those conditions. I notice the person in that other thread was diamond. If they can afford to cruise enough to get to that status surely they can afford to either buy the drink package for each person who wants or forego the package and just buy any drinks they need or just drink the freebies they get due to their status

Look, it's pretty simple. Yes, you 'could' do this, share your drink pkg. It's not the end of the world if you do. But for me personally, I choose not to. The feeling of guilt and/or that I'm doing something wrong is simply not worth it for us. Now having said this, if I choose to 'buy' someone a drink in a social setting, I'll do it w/ a no foul, no harm attitude. As I consider the premium pkg on my seapass an extension of my wallet. If my DW has left her sea pass (w/ premium pkg) in the room and she wants a drink, no problem either. I'll get her a drink. But to go into the entire cruise with the concept of all drinks consumed to be placed on one sea pass with the premium beverage package is not for me/us. In fact, we buy the pkg so we don't have to worry about the cost associated with partaking in adult beverages. 'Sharing' the pkg would then place the worry back into the whole process again as it would be doing something that is not supposed to be done. I don't want to have to be concerned if the bartender'or my waitstaff is watching me to see if I pass my drink to my DW etc. or vice versa.

Like you said, if you don't drink much, then you won't have that much to budget for anyway. Do the right thing.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Besides being dishonest, it may require more work or compromise than it's worth. For instance, sharing on the pool deck may be easy enough. You order from a bar, walk to a chair and hand it off. Go back in after a reasonable time for a second. Easy enough I suppose. But what happens if the two of you want to sit together at a bar? No sharing then. What happens at dinner? Certainly can't share then. Shows? Same thing. I guess you could ask for one drink with two straws and drink from the same cup. :confused:

My wife and I are not big drinkers either we probably spent about 275$-300$ on drinks on our last cruise with no free drinks since we are not diamond. It still wasn't even worth it for us to get one package let alone two.

I wouldn't do it, I am not a fan of stealing which it technically is. It will just end up hurting the honest people in the future, it raise the prices of the drink package to cover.

It reminds me of a sign I see often in stores about stealing. Stealing increase the prices for everyone

Hello,

Frank

Um, okay. So, you haven't read the many threads on this? It amazes me that people think if they can get away with something then it's "ok". It's not. The package is per person as it clearly states. The package for us is not worth it as the two of us don't drink enough each, but we would never think to share it since it's wrong. It would also not be as simple as you think. You can't order two at one time on one package, btw. I think the time limit is something like 15 minutes for a good reason, obviously.

If you don't drink much then you more than likely won't spend enough to even pay for one package. Even though some don't think so, the package is a huge moneymaker for RCI. Most people do not drink as much as they spend on the package. Some hit the daily amount a couple of times, but not everyday. Port days make the packages completely not worth it unless you just stay onboard and drink.

Edited by BND

If you are happy with your free drinks as Diamond, it would not pay even to share a package. Those packages are meant for heavy drinkers who drink various beverages all day long.

With the coffee machine in the lounges, the free drinks at cocktail hour, and the wine you can bring onboard with you, there was more than enough (for us) to drink for free. I actually brought some wine back home with me because I never had time to drink it.

I dont think the OP is saying that he wants to share a drink package. :confused: So why are people already implying that he is a thief and dishonest? He is just posting that it could easily be done and if one puts enough thought into it, Im sure it is. I actually dont think there is a 15 minute time limit anymore. They can however, cancel your drink package without refund if caught sharing. It clearly states its per person.

Edited by ryano

If you are happy with your free drinks as Diamond, it would not pay even to share a package. Those packages are meant for heavy drinkers who drink various beverages all day long.

With the coffee machine in the lounges, the free drinks at cocktail hour, and the wine you can bring onboard with you, there was more than enough (for us) to drink for free. I actually brought some wine back home with me because I never had time to drink it.

Completely agree. I had to force myself to finish our second bottle of wine on our last cruise. Before the vouchers, we used to buy a bottle of wine every couple of nights and have a glass with dinner. Now, we just get a glass on our way into dinner from a bar, or bring one from the DL, if we've been there.

Look, it's pretty simple. Yes, you 'could' do this, share your drink pkg. It's not the end of the world if you do. But for me personally, I choose not to. The feeling of guilt and/or that I'm doing something wrong is simply not worth it for us. Now having said this, if I choose to 'buy' someone a drink in a social setting, I'll do it w/ a no foul, no harm attitude. As I consider the premium pkg on my seapass an extension of my wallet. If my DW has left her sea pass (w/ premium pkg) in the room and she wants a drink, no problem either. I'll get her a drink. But to go into the entire cruise with the concept of all drinks consumed to be placed on one sea pass with the premium beverage package is not for me/us. In fact, we buy the pkg so we don't have to worry about the cost associated with partaking in adult beverages. 'Sharing' the pkg would then place the worry back into the whole process again as it would be doing something that is not supposed to be done. I don't want to have to be concerned if the bartender'or my waitstaff is watching me to see if I pass my drink to my DW etc. or vice versa.

Like you said, if you don't drink much, then you won't have that much to budget for anyway. Do the right thing.

As you say, what could be done, still should not be done. Although you also say "It is not the end of the world" and yes, the world may not end, but other things on board may end because of it....Royal will reassess things and raise prices yet again. I can see how you view your sea pass as an extension of your wallet and use it for the occasional drink for a friend. I see no issue with using it for your wife, since she already has a drink package and if she left her sea pass in the cabin, so what.

It is like in the DL when people get 3 drinks in the last 15 minutes before they leave the lounge and pour them all into a large mug and walk out of the lounge. That is wrong. The rule is that you are not supposed to leave the lounge with a drink. I find it perfectly fine to leave the lounge with the ONE drink I am drinking, but I don't believe you should be allowed to walk out of the lounge having filled a large mug with several drinks.

Some how the cruise line will change the rules when the abuses get too high, and the cruisers did the abusing...so in the end these few abusers, make it worse for everyone else.

Again, what could be done, still shouldn't be.

Edited by Paulette3028

I dont think the OP is saying that he wants to share a drink package. :confused: So why are people already implying that he is a thief and dishonest? He is just posting that it could easily be done and if one puts enough thought into it, Im sure it is. I actually dont think there is a 15 minute time limit anymore. They can however, cancel your drink package without refund if caught sharing. It clearly states its per person.

He asked for opinions on sharing the package and that's what he's getting.

Hello,

Frank

The card holder can get as many as they want...for themselves. What you described is otherwise known as theft. If you're perfectly happy with your 3 free drinks per day you wouldn't be contemplating this.

You are going to get bashed mercilessly by others on here by the way.

This is very debatable. I don't consider 3 to 4 drinks /day as a 'heavy drinker', at least while on vacation. With the price per drink these days, plus bottled water, etc, the premium beverage pkg is a pretty good tool these days and can work as an excellent way to hedge costs of a cruise.

I'm cruising Liberty on 7/2 with a group of 28 and plan on sharing my drink package with everyone in my group and anyone I meet at the pool who has a smile on their face.

LMAO!!

No. It's cheating/stealing and will impact future pricing across the board.

With that in mind, if I pick up a bottled water on the way back to my cabin and my 15 year old daughter wants a sip, I won't feel guilty sharing it with her.

I definitely won't be sharing my bloody mary's with her though.

Let's keep it light people. I'm sure everyone is super excited for any upcoming cruises there going on and sometimes the questions don't come out quite right on the forums.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!

..... Those packages are meant for heavy drinkers who drink various beverages all day long.

I have to ask what your definition of a "heavy drinker" is exactly.

If a person drinks just four of the $12 frozen cocktails over the course of one full day, they've broken even. If you add in bottled water, you've come out ahead. I would never call four drinks in a 24 hour period "heavy" drinking. Before the recent drink price increase, I would never have considered the package. The break even point was closer to 7 drinks a day, sustained over the course of a cruise. Now, as I said, it's four. That certainly does not equate to being a heavy drinker.

It seems that two or more people could easily share the cost of a drink package if the person who owns the package took on the role of drink purchaser. If the package is truly "unlimited", then the card holder should be able to get as many beverages as they want, from any bar. My hunch is there is a time limit between purchases.

I don't think there is any set time limit between purchases, so yes, two people could probably pretty easily share a drink package as you describe. So far, Royal Caribbean has mostly relied on "honor system" with this and not felt the need to have any sort of militant approach to administration of the drink packages. I'm sure some people do take advantage, but hopefully not enough to end up making it more restrictive for everyone.

I have to ask what your definition of a "heavy drinker" is exactly.

If a person drinks just four of the $12 frozen cocktails over the course of one full day, they've broken even. If you add in bottled water, you've come out ahead. I would never call four drinks in a 24 hour period "heavy" drinking. Before the recent drink price increase, I would never have considered the package. The break even point was closer to 7 drinks a day, sustained over the course of a cruise. Now, as I said, it's four. That certainly does not equate to being a heavy drinker.

Before the price increases I do believe the drink packages were for heavy drinkers. Now, not so much. I know one thing is for sure. I will be getting the PP next cruise and Im certainly no heavy drinker. I likely wont come close to breaking even but I dont even care. its a convenience thing. I just want to be able to pay for it in advance and not worry about every 14 dollar drink Im ordering. Im sure I am the type Royal Caribbean hopes to draw towards the packages.

Before the price increases I do believe the drink packages were for heavy drinkers. Now, not so much. I know one thing is for sure. I will be getting the PP next cruise and Im certainly no heavy drinker. I likely wont come close to breaking even but I dont even care. its a convenience thing. I just want to be able to pay for it in advance and not worry about every 14 dollar drink Im ordering. Im sure I am the type Royal Caribbean hopes to draw towards the packages.

The type of drinker that the cruise line was trying to attract, is probably very much like you -- the cruiser who simply doesn't want to care how much or what he is drinking. The label of casual vs heavy probably wasn't how they looked at it.

And even heavy drinkers consume more than just alcohol. Until very recently this Diamond level C&A did not know about the 24 hr coffee machine in the DL for my use....but when we went to the Allure DL, I quickly became acquainted with it....but I still don't drink enough of anything to make it worthwhile to buy a package. The 3 free drinks in the DL or during lounge hours around the ship with the availability of my lattes in the DL (sure I have to go to the lounge to get it) are just fine.

I just worry that abusers of the packages and the DL will erode the programs available for the honest ones -- or the prices of the packages with continue to rise and then what else will be cut?

In the end, cheaters hurt everyone else....somehow.

Edited by Paulette3028

I don't think there is any set time limit between purchases, so yes, two people could probably pretty easily share a drink package as you describe. So far, Royal Caribbean has mostly relied on "honor system" with this and not felt the need to have any sort of militant approach to administration of the drink packages. I'm sure some people do take advantage, but hopefully not enough to end up making it more restrictive for everyone.

It could also be called the "embarrassment system" if you, as the beverage plan card holder, usually orders scotch or rye and your sharing partner wants you to order one of those girly foofoo drinks with an umbrella in it 10 minutes later.:o

Edited by DirtyDawg

I went through a lot of posts, menus etc for drinks prices before deciding on a package. I figure I would have 1-2 fresh juice with breakfast, a couple of frozen (alcoholic) cocktails by the pool in the afternoon, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and a couple of mixed drinks after dinner. Add to that bottled water which would be interspersed all day maybe a soda or 2 and the Ultimate package worked out being cheaper (for me) than pay as you go. Some would say that that makes me a heavy drinker. I would disagree.

I have read of people who think its ok to purchase the Premium or Ultimate package for a couple where one drinks alcohol and the other drinks soda. In my opinion that is wrong. There is a soda package available for those who want a package without the alcohol. When you voluntarily enter into an agreement (as you do when you purchase a package) it is my opinion that you should abide by the terms of that agreement. If you aren't willing to abide then don't enter into the agreement.

I went through a lot of posts, menus etc for drinks prices before deciding on a package. I figure I would have 1-2 fresh juice with breakfast, a couple of frozen (alcoholic) cocktails by the pool in the afternoon, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and a couple of mixed drinks after dinner. Add to that bottled water which would be interspersed all day maybe a soda or 2 and the Ultimate package worked out being cheaper (for me) than pay as you go. Some would say that that makes me a heavy drinker. I would disagree.

I have read of people who think its ok to purchase the Premium or Ultimate package for a couple where one drinks alcohol and the other drinks soda. In my opinion that is wrong. There is a soda package available for those who want a package without the alcohol. When you voluntarily enter into an agreement (as you do when you purchase a package) it is my opinion that you should abide by the terms of that agreement. If you aren't willing to abide then don't enter into the agreement.

Unfortunately some people enter into agreements/contracts of all kinds, and think the terms of the agreement are just 'suggestions'.

I had that when I entered into a contract to buy my house.....they thought that the closing date agreed to in the contract was just a suggested target date....so you can never know what people think/believe when they enter into a contract.

But I agree with you.