Dining Room Table Anxiety

Let me just start by saying that I *love* the Main Dining Room, and I love making friends with people on cruises. I'm a chatty kathy, and a bit of a lush - they go hand in hand.

One of the best ways to do this is by opting to share a big table in the Main Dining Room. You, your partner/friend, and six other strangers. What could go wrong?

The last cruise I was on, aboard Liberty OTS, we shared a table with three other couples who were all the same age as us (does RCCL do that on purpose?) and it was great. We all got on like a house on fire, ate together and partied together each night.

But I've had a couple of dodgy experiences too:

• The time a Portugese man asked me to show him how to use a knife and fork (seriously)
  • The time someone sat at our table said they were a bio-engineer, so I struck up a conversation about stem-cell research and I was shouted down for "promoting abortion".
  • The time where a couple, whose names I don't remember, joined us as far as drinks on the first night then asked to change tables.

But on the whole I think the good vastly outweighs the possible bad. It's just that anxiety - hoping you get another epic table of fun people.

Anyone else get this?

We've all been there. A good table can really enhance the cruise experience but a bad table can make for a horrible trip. ( but it usually makes for a fun story later)

If you generally prefer a table with new folks, give it a try and if the mix is not right, simply ask for a change.

good luck

M

Let me just start by saying that I *love* the Main Dining Room, and I love making friends with people on cruises. I'm a chatty kathy, and a bit of a lush - they go hand in hand.

One of the best ways to do this is by opting to share a big table in the Main Dining Room. You, your partner/friend, and six other strangers. What could go wrong?

The last cruise I was on, aboard Liberty OTS, we shared a table with three other couples who were all the same age as us (does RCCL do that on purpose?) and it was great. We all got on like a house on fire, ate together and partied together each night.

• The time a Portugese man asked me to show him how to use a knife and fork (seriously)
  • The time someone sat at our table said they were a bio-engineer, so I struck up a conversation about stem-cell research and I was shouted down for "promoting abortion".
  • The time where a couple, whose names I don't remember, joined us as far as drinks on the first night then asked to change tables.

But on the whole I think the good vastly outweighs the possible bad. It's just that anxiety - hoping you get another epic table of fun people.

Anyone else get this?

Wow, you've had a couple of "winners." We only sat with people we don't know on 3 cruises. Enjoyed them all. Generally we cruise with a group from 4 to 12 of us so we always get an appropriate size table.

My wife and I have done 3 or 4 cruises by ourselves and get a table for 2. It's our time to be together. But the tables for 2 are always so close to other tables that we end up making friends with others. Advantage is that if the other people are like some of the ones you describe, we can just stick with the 2 of us.

Yes, I think that RC makes at least some attempt to match people at dining tables. For example, if you happen to have a kid in your group, then you will be seated with other groups with kids.

We've taken our chances with traditional dining groups on more than 30 cruises, and while not every match has been perfect, we've never had to ask to change tables, conversely we've made many friendships, and now cruise together with people met at dining.

You will have some weird stuff come up once in a while, but these incidents just make for good stories to tell at other dining tables.

As for the couple that left, their loss. We had this happen at our large table a few cruises back. The next night they were replaced by a different couple from a table where no one else showed up - they turned out to be a blast! So, it all works out.

Yeah, when you get a great table it just makes the whole cruise so much better.

We got on so well we even had a group table photo and all bought a copy... (that's me on the far left, my partner Tommy, then our table mates...)

10428346_303229539840580_8032509244103523407_o.jpg

Edited by PositiveLad

Little concerned about this on our upcoming cruise. My DW has cruised several time before but always with groups of friends. This is our first cruise together and while I have no issues meeting making friends she is very shy until she gets to know people. She may even come off as rude but she is just nervous in social situations at first. Granted if she hits it off with someone quick then it gets good real fast but she gets a little anxiety when walking into situations like this. We booked the Mystery Dinner the first night so walking into the MDR the second night maybe an interesting evening for us.

I am completely 100% with you! When my hubby and I cruise alone we always request a big table.

-Our first cruise we had a blast! Loved our table mates and it made the week great!

-Second time, the rest of our table mates were all from the same family. It made us feel like the oddballs. They did chit chat with us some...but it seemed forced. Also, the one guy liked to over exaggerate all of his stories. If they were good stories it would have been fun, but not so much with this guy!

-On our last cruise, all of our table mates were great and again, we got along well with each other. Hung out on the ship together and managed to do an excursion together. We all took pics together. It was a lot of fun.

We are leaving in a few weeks and I have the "anxiety" you referenced. It would never ruin our trip, but it sure does make it so much more fun when you have a great group of people to share time with!

We love the MD too. We tend to make it fun, even when our table mates are a little more reserved than us. My wife is really good at getting people to open up. I always enjoy meeting our table mates. Most of the experiences have been very good. Alot of times we end up planning to meet outside of the MD, for a show, drink or even excursion. By the end of the cruise we usually exchange contact info (i.e. email addresses) and have kept in contact with a few couples.

The best time we ever had on a cruise was because of our table mates. We had planned to cruise with friends who broke up just before the cruise, so they canceled. We wound up at a table with a family from Portugal that didn't speak any English. Before I had a chance to say anything, the maitre de came up to me and told me he saw what was going on and had reassigned our table for the remainder of the week -- the First Captain's table (or whatever you call second in command) -- this was back when they still did Captain's Night and if you were at an Officer's table, they dined with your group on that night. Anyway, we wound up at a table of "rejects" from other tables and we had the best time. We differed in ages and home countries but we blended wonderfully and we were the loud and obnoxious table that was the last to leave the dining room every night. We also went out all together after dinner and just laughed and carried on. It was spectacular. We also bought a group photo and have fond memories. Unfortunately, it was at a time "before" Facebook and even really anyone used email as a tool to stay in touch and so we lost touch with everyone. How I'd love to find them again! I'd plan a cruise around their plans if I knew how to get in touch with them, but alas, I only remember first names!

On the whole we've always had a good experience sharing tables. We've made many friends and still keep in touch. Just once we were put ( just my husband and I) with a family of 6, and although they were pleasant and friendly, we always felt like we'd intruded a family meal. We love sussing out our table mates first night, and love to watch as we all become more relaxed as the cruise goes along.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only strange one we had thus far was on our 1st cruise. We were at a table for four (Us and another couple). If we are seating with folks we are not going to sit there and not say anything so other than hellos when we all first sat down, the other couple did not say anything. When we struck up any conversation the replies were very short, so it was bascaily aone way converstion. If you spoke to the wife, she would always look at the husband as if she was getting his permission to say something before she spoke. After that first night we had a four topper for just us two because they never came back the rest of the cruise. We never even saw them around the ship after that first night. :cool:

Our very first cruise had terrible table mates. Thankfully, we gave it another go and have had WONDERFUL, fun and engaging table mates since then. We've even invited others from nearby tables (who were alone) to join us. The MDR staff were always glad to squeeze in another person.

So far, I guess we've been lucky! We've gotten along with all of our table mates! Sure, some are more "engaging" than others, but we've always managed to have a good time at dinner.

Eating alone is ok (we do it at home all the time!), but if there are others to share dinner with, it's so much more fun! I think it helps if you can both listen AND talk...depending on what your table mates are good at!

Edited by cb at sea

Anyone else get this?

Great post. I've been on 10 cruises all at large table traditional dining, so can I throw in my 20 cents? ;) . When I looked at your profile pic, your mentioning being a "chatty cathy" and the use of the term partner" This implies to me that you may be gay. (I'll pause so people can flame me for that remark................................)

The reason I mentioned it was I thought that might be source of contention you experienced. I'm glad it was something else. I would have probably been as interested in what he had to say as you, but I never considered that a topic to avoid. I've gotten pretty good at reading people on subjects they do an don't want to talk about, but I'm guessing the objection you experienced came from a third party. Am I right? I automatically shut down and tune out on any topic that involves politics and religion. While you would think stem cell research is just science, we both now how others might react.. you know the ones who call talk shows with their scripts in hand.

That said, if someone offers their occupation I can usually judge if they want to talk more and if I'm wrong catch the hints quickly. My occupation is totally boring, even to me, so I have my canned response, " I collect a pay check, try not to get fired and countdown the days to my next cruise.

Now to having like aged people together, Its my opinion that they do, or at least try. Have you ever talked with someone trying to figure out table assignments for a wedding reception? As hard as you try there is always one or two left overs that don't quite fit anywhere. That and some people changes their dining times, or cancel cruises at the last moment. My 2012 Jewel cruise had 3 couple in their 40s and 50's and one newleywed couple. We all got along great. There are lots of horror stories here, but i've never personally had any.

On our first cruise together on the Cunard Crown Jewel, we requested a table for four. We started to get nervous over what companions we would have. As we walked to our table, there they were -- two Catholic priests dressed in black.

We had the best time with those two. Great stories from their travels around the world and to the Vatican.

When I looked at your profile pic, your mentioning being a "chatty cathy" and the use of the term partner" This implies to me that you may be gay. (I'll pause so people can flame me for that remark................................)

Damn, and here was me thinking it was my post signature that gave it away ;)

The objection to the stem-cell research question was actually from the bio-engineer herself which is why I found it particularly peculiar. She obviously only does the bits of that job that don't offend her. :P

I'll tend to talk about anything. I work in Sexual Health and HIV, and whilst those aren't necessarily subjects that I'd bring up at the dinner table to work in those areas you need a pretty open mind and relaxed attitude.

I graciously changed the subject and everything was fine (after a slightly awkward ten minutes).

There are good tablemates and not-so-good tablemates. I think after the first night, you know pretty well how it's going to go. So don't ever be afraid to ask to change tables. It happens all the time, and the crew just wants you to have a great time.

DW and I are going on a "reunion" cruise in November with two other couples who were tablemates of ours one year. We literally were the last table left in the MDR every night, and had the best time ever. One couple lives about 2 hours from us and we visit them quite often. The other couple is from Scotland....little difficult to see them :p

Jeff

Our first cruise we had MTD so we were always by ourselves. We were apprehensive about the whole sitting with strangers thing so on our next 2 cruises we requested a table for 2. We met so many nice people at brunch, tea, and around the ship on our last cruise on the Breeze that when we sail next week we are not requesting anything special and are happy to try something new. It's only for an hour or so if we don't like the table mates anyway.

Here's my gripe about RC and how they put together MDR seating. We have a grade-school child. Yet, we've never been seated with a family with kids near the same age.

On our last cruise, we were seated with a family who had a son starting his sophomore year in high school. We only saw him the first night, because his cousins were seated at a different table. He sat with them the rest of the cruise.

So, our son has been bored sitting in the MDR, while the grown-ups discuss various boring topics.

I've walked through the MDR and seen other tables that have one or two grade-school children who've looked very, very bored.

Considering that we've with familes in the Windjammer (the kids have gotten to know each other in Advanture Ocean), it just seems like a no brainer to put a couple of small families together at a table in the MDR.

We've never had bad table mates. But we've been seated at a table for 10 and been the only two people at the table on some nights, and a family of four (all adults) joined us on other nights. It's just awkward being at such a large table and there being so many empty seats. That was the last time we did a shared table experience.

We've never had *bad* table mates. Some have been super good and others not as much. On one cruise we sat with a couple who talked about the hours they spent in the gym every day. That got a little old, but they were really nice otherwise. Most of the times our tables have been a blast and we end up seeing people around the ship and end up being pretty good friends.

I wish there was a way to repeat some cruises with exactly the same people. Alas...

We have met people from all over the world and many who don't always speak English well, but their English is always better than our version of their native language. Somehow we always seem to communicate.

One of the nice things about MTD is that you can stay at a group table if you really like it, move to another each day, or just sit by yourselves if you feel like not being sociable some night. There's never any question about awkwardness.

Some of my favorite cruise memories are at shared tables. The great thing about cruising is that it's expected that you'll sit together. I can't remember one other restaurant experience where we'd walk up to a table and just join in with others. It's what makes cruising such a great social experience. Couple that with people from all over the world and you have a fantastic environment for some incredible conversations.

Tom

The only negative experience we have had in the MDR was on our first cruise for our honeymoon. We were at an eight top with three other newlywed couples. We thought the other couples were kind of obnoxious - bickering and snarky between spouses on the first night. The only thing everyone agreed on was they wanted party as much as possible. I guess we weren't their ideal table mates either because the maitre d' called our cabin the next day and asked if we would mind being moved to another table so they could have a different couple of their choosing at the table. We agreed and ended up at a six top with great people - good conversation and no tension!

We always do MTD now for the flexibility in eating time but probably miss out on meeting some interesting people.