Canadians pre-paying tips-deal is done

Well, it looks like the savings ( on the exchange rate) has been corrected.

It's no longer cheaper in Canadian funds to prepay tips.

At least, not for us.

We decided to prepay tips to our balance ( due in Dec) before the new price increase in June.

We were charged $91.78 per person for our 7 day cruise.

I should add for those that were not aware,

For whatever reason, if you prepaid tips before you sailed, and had a reservation in Canadian funds, it was actually a few dollars CHEAPER to prepay.

Took advantage of it last March..

But looks like it has been adjusted. It is still at a better exchange rate then our Canadian banks though.

Sorry son of 3 cruises, I think we were posting at same time.

Yes, you are right, I prepaid about 1 month ago for my next Feb. cruise in Canadian and paid 76.87 pp

So, just wondering.....

If you paid $76.87 Canadian just one month ago, did you actually PAY for it upfront, or add it to your reservation to pay later, when balance is due.

I added mine so I don't have to actually pay until December. Last March, I actually paid in full when I called. Wondering if there is deal to be had for paying now instead of just adding it.

Again, the exchange rate is still better then our Canadian banks.

That link is for onboard purchases.

Right now, Royal has a really good exchange rate for prepaid stateroom credit and tips if your booking is in Canadian funds. Does not apply to Canadians with US dollar bookings.

Onboard, you are right, if you use a credit card, the rate is the same as our banks ( if not a bit more)

Edited by son3cruisers

Our gratuities are already added to our total cruise price, so when I pay off our cruise this month it will include the gratuities. Of course I am paying in US dollars not Canadian.

This deal was for Canadian bookings only.

Just wondering if someone ( Canadain) who has paid in full paid less....

I booked the Romance Package yesterday for $100 USD; it came to only $108 CDN. I checked twice before I booked thinking I had the wrong package but I had the right one. That was an amazing exchange rate considering its at about $0.83 at the bank right now.

Edited by Anubi

Well, it looks like the savings ( on the exchange rate) has been corrected.

It's no longer cheaper in Canadian funds to prepay tips.

At least, not for us.

We decided to prepay tips to our balance ( due in Dec) before the new price increase in June.

We were charged $91.78 per person for our 7 day cruise.

I'm confused why your charge is so much. Each member of our cruise was charged $76.87 CAD for gratuities. This is at the $12 / person / day rate.

We are very happy that we can pay for our RCL cruise in Canadian dollars since we know upfront what we are paying (as opposed to the exchange rate at the time of paying it off).

Edited by LuCruise

Hi 3sons,

No, I just added it to my bill and will pay all when I am due next

December.

I am not sure why buy I do know that 2 years ago when I paid my gratuities ahead of time, the total came out to less than the American price.

76.87 for a 7 night in canadian dollars and I imagine even Americans are paying 84.00

Maybe they finally saw the error in their accounting but I know I am not the only canadian to have received this.

I recently booked an Oasis Cruise that sails Nov 2015. I prepaid grats because it was less in CAD then it would have been to pay onboard in USD.

We were charged $76.87 CAD per person for a 7 day sailing on the Oasis for Nov 2015. We have not made final payment yet, but that amount will not change. When we sailed on the Freedom in March 2015, we also prepaid grats and it was $82.79 CAD per person. As stated above, it would have been $84 USD on board which, based on todays Bank of Canada exchange rate, should have been around $100 CAD.

RCCL has been charging a 10% exchange when purchasing OBCs in advance and it appears 10% is the standard exchange they use. It sounds likely they might have corrected the auto grats so they fall inline with the 10% exchange vs the negative exchange we have been seeing lately.

I am not sure what is going on with RCCLs CAD exchange rates, but I love it.

So others are still getting the deal?

Maybe I should cancel my gratuities and call back to have some one else add them.

Not sure why there would be different prices for Canadians....

I am not sure if anyone who added prepaid grats in the last few days are different than what you paid. I booked several weeks ago.

Interesting...

I just called and cancelled the gratuities.

The agent asked why, I told him other Canadians were paying $76.87 Canadian and I was paying $91.78

He put me on hold, said yes, that other cruises were coming up with that price.

He could not honour the price, as he said it was probably a " glitch in the system" but if I wanted to keep the gratuities they would offer us $60 onboard credit.

Problem solved.

Thanks for your responses....

Interesting...

The agent asked why, I told him other Canadians were paying $76.87 Canadian and I was paying $91.78

He could not honour the price, as he said it was probably a " glitch in the system" but if I wanted to keep the gratuities they would offer us $60 onboard credit.

Problem solved.

So glad it worked out for you!

I opted to prepay my tips for my January cruise which i am paying for in Aussie $. Total cost for my 7 night cruise was $74 which works out at about US$8.40 per day. No idea why the rate was lower than the US rate given that the AUD is under 0.8 at the moment but I'll take it, esp given as a solo it cost me over US$1500 for my ocean view (no balcony) cabin:cool:

Interesting...

Problem solved.

I just thought of something - are you in a suite by any chance?

I just thought of something - are you in a suite by any chance?

I know what you're thinking.... Lol. There is no rhyme or reason for Royals price discrepancies....

No, I'm in an oceanview.

Edited by son3cruisers