Handicap Permit to skip lines??

On the Legend and saw something I'd never seen before. We were in a fairly long line for the tender to return to the ship and this couple walks by all of us with an automotive handicap hang tag in one of their hands and walks to the very front of the line and cuts in.

I was very surprised by this, as there were a number of passengers around us with canes and even a wheelchair and none of them tried to go to the front (this cruise has a surprisingly high average age, and probably half of the couples had someone that would probably qualify as handicapped). The interesting part was the couple with the handicapped permit was not that old and were walking quite well (and quite fast).

Anyway, I've never seen that, and assuming it is generally permitted, I hope I'd never need it.

After a little rocky of a start (Mexican customs at the border were a bunch of incompetent baboons that kept each bus there for an hour and a half or more), it's been a great trip over to the islands.

On the Legend and saw something I'd never seen before. We were in a fairly long line for the tender to return to the ship and this couple walks by all of us with an automotive handicap hang tag in one of their hands and walks to the very front of the line and cuts in.

I was very surprised by this, as there were a number of passengers around us with canes and even a wheelchair and none of them tried to go to the front (this cruise has a surprisingly high average age, and probably half of the couples had someone that would probably qualify as handicapped). The interesting part was the couple with the handicapped permit was not that old and were walking quite well (and quite fast).

Anyway, I've never seen that, and assuming it is generally permitted, I hope I'd never need it.

After a little rocky of a start (Mexican customs at the border were a bunch of incompetent baboons that kept each bus there for an hour and a half or more), it's been a great trip over to the islands.

They had their "Automotive Plackard" in hand...were they parking :confused:...Sorry some may not agree but I think in this particular instance you described it was abuse :eek::eek:

Was it perhaps a Gold Seapass Card? As part of the suite program suite guests have priority tender?

Nope it was a big blue handicap parking hang tag that the state issues to disabled drivers. And they were holding it out for all to see as they marched by to the front. It was clear they were using it to justify cutting to the front of the line.

They had their "Automotive Plackard" in hand...were they parking :confused:...Sorry some may not agree but I think in this particular instance you described it was abuse :eek::eek:

I am disabled and have both the plate and a plackcard and I fully agree with you!!

The only time I take plackard on vacation is if we have a rental car! or a borrowed car (family) and to be honest most the time I forget it at home!

Was it perhaps a Gold Seapass Card? As part of the suite program suite guests have priority tender?

I could get onboard with that thought but... if they had a suite why were they flashing the disabled plackard vs the gold seapass?

sad very very sad! I see it all the time when I go out, people think that handicap spots are also permission to park while you run in to the store or post office "really quick"

Nope it was a big blue handicap parking hang tag that the state issues to disabled drivers. And they were holding it out for all to see as they marched by to the front. It was clear they were using it to justify cutting to the front of the line.

My mom has to use a scooter on a cruise due to severe arthritis and would NEVER normally butt in a line however on our most recent cruise my mom was in severe pain and we needed to get back on the ship quickly and the line was 45 minutes long to get back on. In this case I did take her to the front of the line but this is the first and only time I have ever done that.

MAYBE this was the case in regards to the OP's situation. Please try and not jump to conclusions too quickly. I only hope that one day I don't find myself in my mom's situation in regards to her pain.

People can be registered Disabled for many reasons, many that you can't see. They may have been having some sort of medical emergency. An overflowing stoma for instance.

Calling someone Handicapped is considered quite rude in the UK.

I find it's best not to concern ourselves with other people's business. You don't know the facts, and the cruise staff appear to have allowed this to happen, so does it really matter? Enjoy your vacation :)

People can be registered Disabled for many reasons, many that you can't see. They may have been having some sort of medical emergency. An overflowing stoma for instance.

I agree with what you said but I don't think the OP is from the UK.

The blue hanging tag for disabled is for PARKING, not line cutting. Last time I checked RCI doesn't issue them. If the person had issued that meant they couldn't stand/wait in line for long, that's what scooters, walkers and wheelchairs are for. There are also canes that have seats on them. This reeks of abuse.

The only reason the staff allowed it was because they have been taught not to do anything to upset a passenger or confront unless it's a safety issue. Using a parking tag is not necessary nor appropriate.

Edited by BND

I personally would have allowed them to pass us but in the process I would have questioned them in a nice socially accpetable way as to generate a conversation. Not overtly loud but loud enough for others to hear their responses.

"It's really nice that handicap passes are being issued! Is this new for RCL? Do you get these from guest services or did RCL send it to you via mail?

I then would have suggested that all those with canes and scooters be allowed to get on the ship "with them". "You don't mind do you?"

All the while being polite, socially acceptable, and helping others while doing so. But to just allow a blue handicap placard to pass w/o commentary and/or offer assistance would not go unnoticed or unsaid. But that's me.

Because an HC Parking Placard can easily be counterfeited , fraudulently obtained from unethical doctors and or being used by a person to whom it was not originally issued ( which is often done) it is NOT considered legal proof of a disability. It just means that the individual who applied for the placard has supposedly met that specific State's criteria in order to qualify for a the placard. Some people think that a HC Placard is a sense of entitlement.

I am legally disabled, do have a legitimate HC Parking Placard and have never used it to bypass any line on a cruise ship or otherwise.

Gold Card holders only get priority tender service when getting off the ship. We have never had priority service when returning to the ship. We wait in line like everyone else.:p

Having had a daughter who passed at the age of two from an extremely rare brain disorder I can attest to the sensativity of this subject. We had a blue pass that we used when we were taking Allie to appointments etc.... However, if the weather was good we would always park in normal parking spots, as others might have needed them more. When she passed we turned in the blue parking pass. My mom also had one for my father when is brain tumour effected his mobility to the point it became an issue. When he passed it too was turned in right away to the Ministery of Transport, the authorizing agent.

In this case the OP speaks of, wouldn't they not have been leaving the ship to head to hospital, if it was a true medical emergency. Instead it appears that this individual had already preplanned their way to skip the tender line; after all why would you need your vechicle parking pass on a cruiseship? It doesn't let the captain dock anycloser to the pier. Not to mention, is their car that they left at port parking or airport parking lot going to be ticked or towed since their pass is on vacation with them? Unless their car was at parked home or in a normal spot where they left it, that is what would happen. Perhaps this "flash pass" might be one of many that they possess for whatever reason.:confused:

Who knows the true reason why they jumped the cue, and we will never know. However, having a two family members that have needed them in the past this topic is close to me, and most likely any other CCers who are in the same situation. Either be it directly, or indirectly.

On a lighter note; when we went to see Russell Peters, the comedian, in the from row there were half a dozen folks in wheelchairs. One of them was wearing the shirt I have attached a photo of. You could only imagine the joking Peters did with them and they were laughing as hard, if not harder than the 15,000 plus people there.

216031342_Idoitfortheparking.jpg.76a39cc1a0dfe20f6e5e4a208d055a40.jpg

Edited by A&L_Ont

Gold Card holders only get priority tender service when getting off the ship. We have never had priority service when returning to the ship. We wait in line like everyone else.:p

Good to know....I expected that it would be both ways....but I am not there yet, in the C&A level to be concerned about it yet.

It doesn´t really matter if a diability is visible or not, it´s still not a reason for skipping the line, especially with other diasbled People waiting in line.

If they had a medical emergency, like an overflowing Stoma for instance, do you really think they had planned ahead and had their blue handicap tag Handy to present visibly to everyone waiting, while Walking ahead?

I´m sorry, but I don´t buy your Explanation, this is not how People act when having an emergency and urgent Need to skip the lines and return to the ship.

Having had a daughter who passed at the age of two from an extremely rare brain disorder I can attest to the sensativity of this subject. We had a blue pass that we used when we were taking Allie to appointments etc.... However, if the weather was good we would always park in normal parking spots, as others might have needed them more. When she passed we turned in the blue parking pass. My mom also had one for my father when is brain tumour effected his mobility to the point it became an issue. When he passed it too was turned in right away to the Ministery of Transport, the authorizing agent.

In this case the OP speaks of, wouldn't they not have been leaving the ship to head to hospital, if it was a true medical emergency. Instead it appears that this individual had already preplanned their way to skip the tender line; after all why would you need your vechicle parking pass on a cruiseship? It doesn't let the captain dock anycloser to the pier. Not to mention, is their car that they left at port parking or airport parking lot going to be ticked or towed since their pass is on vacation with them? Unless their car was at parked home or in a normal spot where they left it, that is what would happen. Perhaps this "flash pass" might be one of many that they possess for whatever reason.:confused:

Who knows the true reason why they jumped the cue, and we will never know. However, having a two family members that have needed them in the past this topic is close to me, and most likely any other CCers who are in the same situation. Either be it directly, or indirectly.

On a lighter note; when we went to see Russell Peters, the comedian, in the from row there were half a dozen folks in wheelchairs. One of them was wearing the shirt I have attached a photo of. You could only imagine the joking Peters did with them and they were laughing as hard, if not harder than the 15,000 plus people there.

I can't read the shirt, but I'm dying from curiosity to know what it says.

What do they call a cigarette butt in the UK. ;)

people think that handicap spots are also permission to park while you run in to the store or post office "really quick"

My dear sister in law did that with hubby's Disabled Vet plate. Her mistake was to run...cost $100 in Florida. Here in NH it could be $250.

My mom has to use a scooter on a cruise due to severe arthritis and would NEVER normally butt in a line however on our most recent cruise my mom was in severe pain and we needed to get back on the ship quickly and the line was 45 minutes long to get back on. In this case I did take her to the front of the line but this is the first and only time I have ever done that.

MAYBE this was the case in regards to the OP's situation. Please try and not jump to conclusions too quickly. I only hope that one day I don't find myself in my mom's situation in regards to her pain.

I would tend to doubt this was the case. How many people would carry around a handicap placard from their car just in case they are in pain someday when in a line.