Current captains

rooftop

Previous postings on this subject have revealed that P & O don't publish info on how senior staff are deployed any more.

P & O have not said why but one can only surmise that it would be a safety/anti-terrorism measure. But it also allows flexibility to switch staff at short notice without complaints from passengers who could claim that they booked a particular cruise because so and so was the Captain or Ents Manager.

As a Princess fan who came back to P & O after 13 years, I have been surprised at the lack of info from P &O. The first notable thing was the refusal to give firm port times, just vague late afternoon, etc. A P & O cruiser told me this on a Princess cruise and I didn't believe him.

Get quite a few emails from Princess, welcome from the Captain, Maitre d, Cruise Director re entertainment, etc. Why are P & O so secretive!!

Incidentally, going on a second Azura cruise to get another experience of them, so will see how it goes.

We now look up the port via a cruise calendar app.

It usually gives an indication of P&O timings. As well as if there are other ships in port that day. It's a good way to see if you have a full day or merely am or pm there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We now look up the port via a cruise calendar app.

It usually gives an indication of P&O timings. As well as if there are other ships in port that day. It's a good way to see if you have a full day or merely am or pm there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

I found the times for my next cruise, unfortunately, can't remember for the life of me where!!! Age thing. Usually find Whats in Port useful but not necessarily for times.

Are you allowed to name the app?

Hi

I found the times for my next cruise, unfortunately, can't remember for the life of me where!!! Age thing. Usually find Whats in Port useful but not necessarily for times.

Are you allowed to name the app?

Update 10 minutes later. Finally remembered the website showing the approx. times.

P&O website used to have a page listing who the current captains are - I've searched and can't find the page any more.

Any idea who will be captain on Ventura in October-November this year?

Just off Ventura where Captain Angelo Vago was in command, understand he will be leaving shortly and while I can't be specific, it will be either Simon Terry or Derek Gray taking over.

Bal

• 4 weeks later...
Just off Ventura where Captain Angelo Vago was in command, understand he will be leaving shortly and while I can't be specific, it will be either Simon Terry or Derek Gray taking over.

Bal

We were all told last New Year that Capt Vago was retiring in March and heard all about retirement do's etc. ..... and then he reappeared on Ventura. So who knows....

It doesn't matter to me who the Captain is, but it is nice when some are a real presence around the ship like Captain Camby and Derek Gray.

They do seem to change regularly. Even though we've cruised with P&O quite a few times, I don't recognise many of those names at all.

Our favourite Captain was Chris Wells. He was always personable, informative and entertaining. I think he's now with Cunard. Least favourite was Paul Brown on Britannia. Very little info, the same 'joke' every day (time for a gin and tonic, maybe two) and his pronunciation was appalling - cruisin', sailin', mornin', evenin' etc. No 'g's in his vocabulary, although that seems to be a trend with people nowadays including many politicians (Priti Patel, Sadiq Kahn etc etc) and, the worst of all, Sky News otherwise excellent political editor Beth Rigby. Sounds appalling!

We had David Pembridge on this years Britannia cruise who was infinitely better and made announcements when there were dolphins and pilot whales, which can really make a cruise for people.

Yes, they do seem to change around regularly. We had Ashley Cook and Marcin Banach on Oriana last Dec. They changed over in Gib!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

That's interesting - we had him on our first cruise in 2012 on Azura and I did wonder where he'd gone to! Interesting as on Oriana in 2014 we had Captain Camby and this year we had him on Azura!

They do seem to change regularly. Even though we've cruised with P&O quite a few times, I don't recognise many of those names at all.

Our favourite Captain was Chris Wells. He was always personable, informative and entertaining. I think he's now with Cunard. Least favourite was Paul Brown on Britannia. Very little info, the same 'joke' every day (time for a gin and tonic, maybe two) and his pronunciation was appalling - cruisin', sailin', mornin', evenin' etc. No 'g's in his vocabulary, although that seems to be a trend with people nowadays including many politicians (Priti Patel, Sadiq Kahn etc etc) and, the worst of all, Sky News otherwise excellent political editor Beth Rigby. Sounds appalling!

We had David Pembridge on this years Britannia cruise who was infinitely better and made announcements when there were dolphins and pilot whales, which can really make a cruise for people.

Neil Turnbull did that on Azura last year as well - or it may have been his 2nd in command - either way we were told several times and certainly by the Captain when we passed Ventura (with the "not so handsome captain" in Turnbull's words!)

Edited by P&O SUE

These are all captains I haven't heRd of. Mind you on our Aurora cruise we had Wesley Dunlop and he was a new one..so are they bringing in new Captains..or just the odd one or two

It was 29/8 to 18/9.

We were on that cruise too. It was his first cruise as captain with P&O, he had previously been with SAGA. I think he said he was doing 6 months from August 29th before having a break of 3 or 6 months.

We were on that cruise too. It was his first cruise as captain with P&O, he had previously been with SAGA. I think he said he was doing 6 months from August 29th before having a break of 3 or 6 months.

We have him for the second half of Aurora's world cruise.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Can anyone please share the current staff list for the P&O vessels? I know P&O previously listed their staff however I cannot seem to locate an up-to-date list? I have only managed to find a list from 2014. Does any body have a recent list from 2017?

Thanks

:)