formal female dress attire (Help Please)

Dom Perignon

hi im new to this forum,and looking for dress advice for the formal nights on ventura please.... going on N631 with 3 formal nights ...... my questions are in relation to types of dress ,ie,long ,short,flowy ,tight ,ball gown, cocktail, i just dont know .... have lovely dress but its rather short !

help me please (Jen) :confused:

Good question, Jen!

I have some cottony, knee-length fit'n'flares from Review, some chiffon dresses of different lengths, a gold faux-silk knee-length dress, and a long, formal dress. I guess I will be taking the two long ones on my cruise, as I am not sure whether the Review dresses are formal enough - they are more like something to wear to the races. It is very confusing what is acceptable and what isn't.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Basically for ladies as long as its smart you will be ok.

Think fabric type more than anything else.

Chiffon,sequins, slinky tends to be more dressy than say cotton.

I go for forgiving fabric now..

Some long dresses, one shorter dress, evening trousers and sparkly tops that sort of thing.

I personally don't wear tight at all as I would look like a sausage......

Probably not ballgown, but I did see a group of ladies on our last cruise who were dressed up past the 9's. very lovely they looked to.

I think whenever I am looking it tends to come under the heading of occassionwear.

Hope this may be of some help (probably not)

Basically for ladies as long as its smart you will be ok.

Think fabric type more than anything else.

Chiffon,sequins, slinky tends to be more dressy than say cotton.

I go for forgiving fabric now..

Some long dresses, one shorter dress, evening trousers and sparkly tops that sort of thing.

I personally don't wear tight at all as I would look like a sausage......

Probably not ballgown, but I did see a group of ladies on our last cruise who were dressed up past the 9's. very lovely they looked to.

I think whenever I am looking it tends to come under the heading of occassionwear.

My most glitzy dress won't be leaving the house, being my wedding dress and all. Way too heavy to pack! ;)

Slinky isn't for me, I am a fit'n'flare gal myself. Hm, not sure what occasion wear is, exactly, but good advice on the material. I might just have to wear one of the two chiffon dresses twice.

I kinda wish that there was a strict dress code...makes things like this easier. The Princess website suggestion of 'cocktail dress' doesn't narrow it down, much. Makes me think of a LBD, which probably isn't right, either.

Edited by kunoichi

hi im new to this forum,and looking for dress advice for the formal nights on ventura please.... going on N631 with 3 formal nights ...... my questions are in relation to types of dress ,ie,long ,short,flowy ,tight ,ball gown, cocktail, i just dont know .... have lovely dress but its rather short !

If it's a dress (apart from perhaps faded denim) it'll be all right. There is no style guru on any of the ships willing to take the chance of telling a lady her formal dress is too scruffy.

Trousers are equally acceptable. Essentially, as long as a lady's clothes aren't so scruffy that she would be turned away on casual night, I can't see you being barred. Even posh jeans with a sparkly top could be argued in. Probably!

Any kind of dress should be okay. When we last sailed with P&O my wife wore her flow-y dress and she was dressed in a similar manner of those to her age. I don't think the length is an issue; mainly just the kind of style it is.

I'm very jealous of you - I could be doing with a break from the office and be popping down to the Canaries! [emoji6]

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Think Christmas Office Party, that might help! A frock rather than a sundress. Sequins good, shiny good, silk good, none of these essential. Knee-length smart, long or mid-calf all OK. Doesn't need to be ball-gown that's for sure. You can always dress it up with a slinky shawl or sparkly bolero, that's a good way to wear something twice, but don't fret about it. Smart trousers & a pretty shiny top would also be OK.

I was surprised on a recent Aurora cruise that many people were far less dressed up than I'd expected on the formal nights. & if you don't want to join in them all, you can always eat in the buffet with your jeans & t-shirt on.

Good afternoon Dom Perignon.

lets see if I can help you with some photographs.

We cruise with both P&O and Cunard so there is hardly any discernible difference in what we wear.

Formal with Cocktail Dress...

12519334823_08ef5dc5b7_z.jpg

Formal with Long...

12519335023_324fcba201_z.jpg

Hope that helps.

PS. If you haven't sailed on Ventura before here is my last review on her...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/06/09/ventura-a-perfect-fly-cruise-med-break/

Hi, short dresses are fine, plenty of younger cruisers wear these - as would I if I could get away with it :) I think the earlier post about "office xmas party" was spot on. Once on board you will wonder what you were worrying about, the variation in interpretations is huge. Not too many full-on ball gowns though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Florry

Such a range of clothing! I guess it may be more important to try to fit in with those I am travelling with, then. Thanks, everyone! Oh, and the photos are very helpful, thank you, Solent Richard.

Hahah, as for office Christmas parties, I must have been going to the wrong ones, as jeans and and t-shirt were normal. I must have worked in the wrong industries! :D