Oceana - wondering about security banner

jaapstam

When arriving on MSC Splendida into Barcelona a few days ago, we passed along P&O's Oceana. I was wondering about a warning banner stating "Security warning keep 50 metres away".

Does anybody know the reason that lies behind this banner?

IMG_20161022_110614.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmwxjtrau2136m5/IMG_20161022_110614.jpg?dl=0

I hope the image link does work...

Edited by jaapstam

We have cruised with P&O since 2005 and this banner has been displayed on the seaward side of the ship on every port of call, in addition in one or two Carribean Ports we have had a Police Launch/Boat constantly patrolling the seaward side of the ship.

I would think that they maintain the same security state in all ports unless there is a particular risk and the security state is raised.

I would not let this banner cause you concern.

Wow! Although Strawberry field's reason made quite much sense to me, it seems they actually do it because of security concerns. I am not concerned about it at all, but quite heavy times we have, don't we?

Thank you all for your quick replies (Millers, for your funny reply as well of course :-) ).

When I was last on Oceana in 2012 they had acoustic disruptors on the promenade deck as well as the banner (Morocco).

We experienced this too in Istanbul on the QE. As soon as we sailed away the acoustic disruptors were removed. This is going back about three years now but it did bring home to us the security concerns.

Yes!

I can understand this to a certain extent. But aren't Americans even more frightened about terrorist attacks? Is something like that also done on ships of Royal Caribbean, Carnival or NCL?

And what happens if you do not understan English or notice the banner and come closer than 50 metres? Shot immediately???:eek:

Edited by jaapstam

Hi,yes Princess are the same,in the Baltic on the Emerald they had the same thing.On the coral last month from Whittier to Fort Laudadale they had 2 armed coast guard cutters flanking us in and out of every port,cheers,Brian.

In all the years we've been cruising with P&O (15 yrs) they have always been extremely tight on security. They employ ex-Ghurkas as the security personnel and have always been extremely vigilant in checking passes getting back on board in ports.

As far as I was aware, the banner has always been there. Obviously, with the increased risk over the past few years to terrorist attacks, they have increased security even more, hence the acoustic disruptors.

We've always felt extremely safe travelling with P&O - they are certainly one of the best.

Edited by Cruise Puss

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an acoustic disrupter?

The one we saw on the promenade deck of the QE looked like a satellite dish on a tripod (there may have been two come to think of it). I thought they emitted high frequency sound which is very painful and deters boarders. I guess it is only switched on though in an emergency situation.

But I found this much more detailed reference which gives a range of deterrent uses and times when they have or may have been used including their presence on some cruise ships. Makes interesting reading!

The one we saw on board looked much like the image in the report.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device

Edited by kruzseeka

I'm not giving anything away that isn't already easy for the bad guys to find out/things they already know :

LRADS (Long Range Acoustic Devices) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device

are now common equipment on cruise and military ships. Some merchant ships also carry then although the cost of the equipment and training means that not all do.... on the other hand anyone attacking a Billionaire's Mega-Yacht is going to get one hell of a surprise (and not just from the LRAD).

There are other ways of defeating the bad guys - P&O cruise ships have on average a significantly higher maximum speed than most merchant ships, they are much more manoeuvrable at high speed, and a large ship making a series of sharp turns at high speed will throw up one hell of a series of wakes - sufficient to swamp any small boat.

VP