Mazatlan: golden zone or stone island?

Pugster4

My wife and I are going on the carnival miracle in January 2016 and we aren't planning on doing an excursion in Mazatlan. We want to follow the blue line into old Mazatlan and then go to the beach. Should we go to the golden zone or stone island? I loved going to Dairy Queen when I went 12 years ago and I believe that's at the start of the golden zone but would skip that if stone island is a better beach

My wife and I are going on the carnival miracle in January 2016 and we aren't planning on doing an excursion in Mazatlan. We want to follow the blue line into old Mazatlan and then go to the beach. Should we go to the golden zone or stone island? I loved going to Dairy Queen when I went 12 years ago and I believe that's at the start of the golden zone but would skip that if stone island is a better beach

Pugster.

My wife and I usually catch a bus in front of the central market. Take the "sabalo centro" bus to the dairy queen. When you're finished there..catch the same bus south. Most people get off at the central market...but stay on ..and it will take you past the cruise ship entrance. You then can get off near the entrance to the boat to Stone island.

We go north to the Golden Zone every time and we usually make it to Stone Island about 1:00pm. Much better beach at Stone Island and some GREAT food at Victor's or Lety's(right next door) restaurants.

We're also going on the Miracle in January.

Edited by cruizinator

Thank you so much! I would love to go both! Does the blue line go to the centro market? Also is the bus cheaper than a poluma and mostly other travelers? We sail the January 2 sailing

Pugster,

The blue line goes to the old Plaza Machado. Really a beautiful spot. From there its about 6 blocks to the Central market. When you get out to the street..at the cruise dock...you'll see a blue arch..which is the entrance to the "Blue Line". Also... there should be some gringo tourist aides..that pass out maps, brochures, info...etc.

The bus is about 10 pesos per person. A pulmonia is about 40-60 pesos(depending on your negotiating skills) total for the ride to the Golden Zone...but you get there faster and your hair looks like it:eek:!

We sail on January 31.

Edited by cruizinator

Pugster,

The blue line goes to the old Plaza Machado. Really a beautiful spot. From there its about 6 blocks to the Central market. When you get out to the street..at the cruise dock...you'll see a blue arch..which is the entrance to the "Blue Line". Also... there should be some gringo tourist aides..that pass out maps, brochures, info...etc.

The bus is about 10 pesos per person. A pulmonia is about 40-60 pesos(depending on your negotiating skills) total for the ride to the Golden Zone...but you get there faster and your hair looks like it:eek:!

We sail on January 31.

Thanks so much! Really appreciate your help!

When the water taxi stops and people stand up and get out, do this. j You will walk over a small hill onto the beach and have your choice of bars, restaurants and activities.

We prefer Victors or Lety's as well.

Edited by Bemidji Ty
sp

The blue line is about a 10 minute walk to the square. From there it's 2-3 blocks to the cathedral, then another 2-3 blocks to the Mercado. Pulmonia back to the water taxi was $6 (there are two water taxi stands, you want the one closest to the cruise terminal). The water taxi only makes one stop so as mentioned, when it stops, get out.

Was there last February and Victor's was all but closed down. Don't know why, it was always our favorite spot. But then we found Lety's, ....the best.

Use google maps and you can get a good overview of the area.

The blue line is about a 10 minute walk to the square. From there it's 2-3 blocks to the cathedral, then another 2-3 blocks to the Mercado. Pulmonia back to the water taxi was $6 (there are two water taxi stands, you want the one closest to the cruise terminal). The water taxi only makes one stop so as mentioned, when it stops, get out.

Was there last February and Victor's was all but closed down. Don't know why, it was always our favorite spot. But then we found Lety's, ....the best.

Use google maps and you can get a good overview of the area.

Porky,

Sad to hear about Victor's..we always went there. So... we're gonna try Letys in January and take your word..that it's the best!;)