Cabo San Lucas Nicest Beaches

dongordon

If you want a beach with restaurants, bars, and facilities that would be Medano beach. It is the main beach in Cabo. There is a beach at Los Arcos but it is just beach, nothing else.

You can get to Medano beach by both water taxi and land taxi. You can catch a water taxi on the boardwalk after you get off your tender. Be sure to bargain. Water taxis are plentiful. I wouldn't pay more than $5 to go over to the beach and then have them arrange to bring you back. Keep in mind if you do the water taxi you have to jump off the taxi/boat and have to jump into a couple of feet of water. The boat is bobbing as you do this. You can also get a land taxi for about $6.00. Again, be sure and negotiate the price before you get in. A good drop off point to tell your land taxi driver would be the restaurant called "The Office". Once you get out of the taxi you can walk down to the beach.

Medano beach has a lovely view of Los Arcos. You can rent water sports equipment at different locations.

If you want a beach with restaurants, bars, and facilities that would be Medano beach. It is the main beach in Cabo. There is a beach at Los Arcos but it is just beach, nothing else.

You can get to Medano beach by both water taxi and land taxi. You can catch a water taxi on the boardwalk after you get off your tender. Be sure to bargain. Water taxis are plentiful. I wouldn't pay more than $5 to go over to the beach and then have them arrange to bring you back. Keep in mind if you do the water taxi you have to jump off the taxi/boat and have to jump into a couple of feet of water. The boat is bobbing as you do this. You can also get a land taxi for about $6.00. Again, be sure and negotiate the price before you get in. A good drop off point to tell your land taxi driver would be the restaurant called "The Office". Once you get out of the taxi you can walk down to the beach.

Medano beach has a lovely view of Los Arcos. You can rent water sports equipment at different locations.

Thanks Michelle for the information....greatly appreciated! :)

Don

If I had one beach in Cabo San Lucas to swim, relax and enjoy a beautiful view, which would it be and what would be the best way to get there? :)

Don

Don, I agree that Medano Beach is your best bet, but if this is your first trip to Cabo, I might suggest that you pay a bit more (~$10US pp) for your water taxi and get a tour of the Arch and beaches, then have them drop you off at Medano. You will be afforded the view of Pelican Rock, Lover's Beach, the Arch, the sea lions, and Divorce Beach, as well as being able to feed the fish (that will swim right up into your hands). Being dropped off at "The Office" is not a bad idea. There are lots of Cantinas and restaurants on Medano Beach, so just wander along, until you find one that you like. None come to mind that I would not spend time at.

Enjoy Cabo, we love it there!

• 2 weeks later...
Don, I agree that Medano Beach is your best bet, but if this is your first trip to Cabo, I might suggest that you pay a bit more (~$10US pp) for your water taxi and get a tour of the Arch and beaches, then have them drop you off at Medano. You will be afforded the view of Pelican Rock, Lover's Beach, the Arch, the sea lions, and Divorce Beach, as well as being able to feed the fish (that will swim right up into your hands). Being dropped off at "The Office" is not a bad idea. There are lots of Cantinas and restaurants on Medano Beach, so just wander along, until you find one that you like. None come to mind that I would not spend time at.

Enjoy Cabo, we love it there!

Thanks for this information....you have convinced me to go this route at Cabo!

Is the water taxi a small boat marked "water taxi" or are they independent people with boats?

How many people fit on the boat?

If I have a group of 10 people, can they take that many?

When I think of "Water Taxi" it reminds me of these boats that carry 20-30 people at some of the Carribbean ports like St. Marteen.

Also, is it difficult to get off the boat when it arrives at Medano Beach?

My wife is not a very good swimmer and wondering if it comes right into shore.

Thanks again...great info!! :)

Don

Thanks for this information....you have convinced me to go this route at Cabo!

Is the water taxi a small boat marked "water taxi" or are they independent people with boats?

How many people fit on the boat?

If I have a group of 10 people, can they take that many?

When I think of "Water Taxi" it reminds me of these boats that carry 20-30 people at some of the Carribbean ports like St. Marteen.

Also, is it difficult to get off the boat when it arrives at Medano Beach?

My wife is not a very good swimmer and wondering if it comes right into shore.

Thanks again...great info!! :)

Don

Don, you should not have a problem finding a "water taxi" that can handle you all (we travel as a herd of 9, and have never had a problem). There are some water taxis that have steps in the front, which makes it a lot easier to disembark at Medano. Again, if this is your first trip to Cabo, I still recommend a tour of the arch, and then to Medano. We've done it at least half dozen times, and I still get a kick out of having the tropical fish swim up into my hand to be fed! As for the ride back....sometimes after one has a "few" beverages at Medano, (happens to me every time!) I might suggest a land cab back to the cruise docks. You should expect to pay $15-20US total for the land cab for all 10 of you. For both the water taxi, and the land cab, try to negotiate! It is expected! You're only going to save a few bucks, but it is part of the culture.

Don, you should not have a problem finding a "water taxi" that can handle you all (we travel as a herd of 9, and have never had a problem). There are some water taxis that have steps in the front, which makes it a lot easier to disembark at Medano. Again, if this is your first trip to Cabo, I still recommend a tour of the arch, and then to Medano. We've done it at least half dozen times, and I still get a kick out of having the tropical fish swim up into my hand to be fed! As for the ride back....sometimes after one has a "few" beverages at Medano, (happens to me every time!) I might suggest a land cab back to the cruise docks. You should expect to pay $15-20US total for the land cab for all 10 of you. For both the water taxi, and the land cab, try to negotiate! It is expected! You're only going to save a few bucks, but it is part of the culture.

So, you suggest I take a tour of the arch before going to Medano. If I have a group of 10-12 people, can this be negotiated for both or will I have to do the tour and Medano separately with different taxis?

I will certaily take your suggestion and take the land taxi back.

I was on a Medican Riviera cruise over 30 years ago and I remember the tequila induced ports making it a bit difficult walking up the gang plank when returning to the ship! :D :D

Thanks for your suggestions.

Don

No, the water taxi that you find at the cruise docks will do both, the Arch tour, and then drop you off at Medano. Do that, have a great time, (and I am almost certain that you will), and at the end of your day at Medano, walk a short distance to one of the parking lots and find a land cab. Taking the land cab will also afford you a view of Cabo San Lucas that you might not normally see (and I mean this in a good sense). We love Cabo.

No, the water taxi that you find at the cruise docks will do both, the Arch tour, and then drop you off at Medano. Do that, have a great time, (and I am almost certain that you will), and at the end of your day at Medano, walk a short distance to one of the parking lots and find a land cab. Taking the land cab will also afford you a view of Cabo San Lucas that you might not normally see (and I mean this in a good sense). We love Cabo.

Thanks so much....I am set for Cabo!! :)

Don

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds awesome! Thanks for the question and the great replies.

I just had a couple of follow up questions. First off, when you say a water taxi is $10, is that TOTAL? Or per person? Either way, sounds like a good deal!

Second, is Medano a good beach for children? We'll have our DDs with us, and they would love to get in the water (with us, of course). Is this a good beach for that? I've heard riptides can be quite strong in Cabo.

This sounds awesome! Thanks for the question and the great replies.

I just had a couple of follow up questions. First off, when you say a water taxi is $10, is that TOTAL? Or per person? Either way, sounds like a good deal!

Second, is Medano a good beach for children? We'll have our DDs with us, and they would love to get in the water (with us, of course). Is this a good beach for that? I've heard riptides can be quite strong in Cabo.

The water taxi is per person, but depending upon the crowd, and the demand, that can be bargained. We've paid as little as $5.00US per person, and as high as $12.00US per person. This is for a water taxi from the Marina, out to the Arch, and beaches, and delivered at Medano. As for good for children...well, a beach is a beach. We've been there when I don't think that I would want my little ones swimming, but typically, no problems, what-so-ever. Just watch the water, and use good sense. BTW...Tabascos is our favorite Cantina on Medano, but up the beach a bit might be better for swimming. Just find a place that you are comfortable with. They are all good!

The water taxi is per person, but depending upon the crowd, and the demand, that can be bargained. We've paid as little as $5.00US per person, and as high as $12.00US per person. This is for a water taxi from the Marina, out to the Arch, and beaches, and delivered at Medano. As for good for children...well, a beach is a beach. We've been there when I don't think that I would want my little ones swimming, but typically, no problems, what-so-ever. Just watch the water, and use good sense. BTW...Tabascos is our favorite Cantina on Medano, but up the beach a bit might be better for swimming. Just find a place that you are comfortable with. They are all good!

I am going to check out Tabasco's.

How are their drinks (espcially the margaritas)? :D

Please tell me why it is your favorite....any special dishes I should order? :)

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Getting off and on the water taxi may be challenging for some people. You may have to jump off into knee high water, so have someone ready to catch the kids. Getting back on is fun too, especially with the boat bobbing up and down. It is a lot of fun and a source of funny stories once back on the ship😅. I second Tabascos. The food is great and the atmosphere more famIly friendly. There are a lot of wet tee shirt and drinking contests around the Office area, which families may not want the kids to see. Good thing is that Happy Hour is all day, so the $9 drinks are only half price 😀

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the questons and answers on this thread. We are thinking of a day at Medano Beach, also. We have been to Cabo several times, but have never spent the day at the beach before.

We will be in port from 12:30 PM until 7 PM, so we would probably be more nclined to a late lunch or tapas. Which one would you recommend? (We are active seniors, not into the wet tee shirt competitions. Well, DH might enjoy it more than me.....:rolleyes:) Also, is the land taxi easy enough to find to get back to the ship a bit later in the day? I am thnking we should head back by 5:00.

Ginny, you will normally have to walk through one of the resorts (depending upon where on Medano Beach you're at.) Once through the resort, and out to the parking lot, you should have no problem finding a cab. If you light at Tobasco's, you can skirt the resorts to a parking lot, to find a cab. Lots and lots of cabs in Cabo. We've never had trouble finding one. Be sure to use your "stern face" when the cabby tells you the price....it's not always effective, but it is almost expected to bargain, a bit. The trip in a cab from the beach to the cruise docks should not take much more than 10-20 minutes.

Ginny, you will normally have to walk through one of the resorts (depending upon where on Medano Beach you're at.) Once through the resort, and out to the parking lot, you should have no problem finding a cab. If you light at Tobasco's, you can skirt the resorts to a parking lot, to find a cab. Lots and lots of cabs in Cabo. We've never had trouble finding one. Be sure to use your "stern face" when the cabby tells you the price....it's not always effective, but it is almost expected to bargain, a bit. The trip in a cab from the beach to the cruise docks should not take much more than 10-20 minutes.

Thank you. If we go to Tobasco's will we be able to find chairs and umbrellas at the beach? Also, how much should we expect to pay for a cab back to the pier?

Thank you. If we go to Tobasco's will we be able to find chairs and umbrellas at the beach? Also, how much should we expect to pay for a cab back to the pier?

Ginny, Tabasco's has great(?) plastic chairs under cover at the Cantina....I say great(?) because the sand is a bit soft, and the chairs tend to slowly sink into the sand. The rule of thumb for us is that when the table reaches your shoulders, it is time for another bucket of beer! :9)

As for umbrellas on the beach, they will deliver one to you (It seems to me that they ask for $5US for the afternoon, but if you order a bucket (or two) of beers, they seem to forget the umbrella rental....

Tabasco's also has great food and snacks at a reasonable price, as well as good Margaritas and other mixed drinks. Truly our favorite location on Medano Beach.

[edit]

Oops....the cab back to the pier should not be more than $10-12 for 4 people. Take the cab, you will enjoy the drive through the town!

Edited by downsized
added content

Ginny, Tabasco's has great(?) plastic chairs under cover at the Cantina....I say great(?) because the sand is a bit soft, and the chairs tend to slowly sink into the sand. The rule of thumb for us is that when the table reaches your shoulders, it is time for another bucket of beer! :9)

As for umbrellas on the beach, they will deliver one to you (It seems to me that they ask for $5US for the afternoon, but if you order a bucket (or two) of beers, they seem to forget the umbrella rental....

Tabasco's also has great food and snacks at a reasonable price, as well as good Margaritas and other mixed drinks. Truly our favorite location on Medano Beach.

Thank you! It sounds like a winner to us. Now to figure out if the water taxi to the beach will be a problem for my SIL and her DH.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, it's been awhile since I posted. Anyway, just wanted to get the word out that Tobascos Beach Club no longer offers umbrellas to customers sitting in lounge chairs. We arrived around 11 AM this morning to meet about 14 friends and were told we could rent umbrellas for $15 each for the day. We took our business to a beach club that was more than happy to accommodate us.Too bad they missed out on $250-$300 in business plus tips.

This was posted earlier today and I thought I should bring it to everyone's attention because I wouldn't want you to get to Tabascos and be disappointed.

Also, Moxitos, formerly Medano Beach Club closed their doors last week. I think the hurricane brought a lot of financial hardship on the folks here.:(

Hi everybody, it's been awhile since I posted. Anyway, just wanted to get the word out that Tobascos Beach Club no longer offers umbrellas to customers sitting in lounge chairs. We arrived around 11 AM this morning to meet about 14 friends and were told we could rent umbrellas for $15 each for the day. We took our business to a beach club that was more than happy to accommodate us.Too bad they missed out on $250-$300 in business plus tips.

Well, that is disappointing. There will be four of us, and I can't see renting the umbrellas at that price if we are also ordering food and drinks. Any suggestions as to another place to go on Medano Beach? We are not intot he loud music and wet t-shirt contests.