What is safe to bring and wear in port?

jazzyallday

I will be traveling with me and my DH. I was wondering how to prepare for port traveling in Mexico and what items to bring off the ship and how to carry them while in port. I understand all of the important documents and sunscreen etc. I would like to go to the beach and get in the water but will my items be safe left on the sand or at a chair? Should I buy a fanny pack and put my items in a plastic covering? I was thinking of wearing water shoes but should I have sandals as well for the town shopping? I am just trying to get an idea of what most people do because I could be over thinking things. Thanks in advanced.

I never leave my belongings unanttended anywhere in the world. Be it in Mexico, the USA or Europe. Take turns going into the water.

I saw some people use something similar to this. Good reviews also

http://www.amazon.com/SGM-Waterproof-Pouch-fishing-hiking/dp/B00I030EC8/ref=pd_bxgy_200_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Card-Holder-Case-Submersible/dp/B00LG33QRO

I actually brought one along, but never used it. I just put everything in a camera bag and slung that over my shoulder. Tons of pockets for wallet, phone, ID, cash, batteries, sunscreen, water bottles, all within easy access

Although we felt very safe, it's just not worth any potential hassle in leaving anything valuable behind. If you don't plan on bringing much stuff to the beach, just get a cheap waterproof pouch

We brought water shoes also. But they weren't really necessary or useful. Sandals were much more comfortable

The DH and I have always used waterproof, plastic boxes which you can buy at any place that sells beach supplies. Walmart for sure has them. It's just a small plastic box (like the blue one that a previous poster showed) that you hang around your neck.

We never take our passport off the ship but instead carry copies of same. The only things we take are a small amount of cash, one credit card between the two of us, and our sign and sail card from the ship. It wasn't until recently that we bring our cellphones because the DS is now 20 and sometimes goes off on his own with his friend and we like to keep in touch with them. So the new pouch that the previous poster showed is exactly something we would like for our next cruise as they wouldn't fit into our small boxes. So thanks to Richfei for posting it.:D

Basically you don't want to take anything ashore that you would be sad to lose. Also, we don't take our good jewelry on our cruises. I leave my wedding rings at home as I would be devastated if I should lose them. I wear a set of good cubic zirconium ones instead.

As far as clothing...if I know I'm going into a church or any other religious facility...I always wear appropriate clothing out of respect. But that's just my thing. Other than that I wear whatever is weather appropriate or appropriate for whatever activity I plan to participate in. For example...I always wear long pants or jeans, a hat, and sneakers when I go horseback riding.

Edited by mousey

The DH and I have always used waterproof, plastic boxes which you can buy at any place that sells beach supplies. Walmart for sure has them. It's just a small plastic box (like the blue one that a previous poster showed) that you hang around your neck.

We never take our passport off the ship but instead carry copies of same. The only things we take are a small amount of cash, one credit card between the two of us, and our sign and sail card from the ship. It wasn't until recently that we bring our cellphones because the DS is now 20 and sometimes goes off on his own with his friend and we like to keep in touch with them. So the new pouch that the previous poster showed is exactly something we would like for our next cruise as they wouldn't fit into our small boxes. So thanks to Richfei for posting it.:D

Basically you don't want to take anything ashore that you would be sad to lose. Also, we don't take our good jewelry on our cruises. I leave my wedding rings at home as I would be devastated if I should lose them. I wear a set of good cubic zirconium ones instead.

As far as clothing...if I know I'm going into a church or any other religious facility...I always wear appropriate clothing out of respect. But that's just my thing. Other than that I wear whatever is weather appropriate or appropriate for whatever activity I plan to participate in. For example...I always wear long pants or jeans, a hat, and sneakers when I go horseback riding.

We always travel with cameras, iPods, cell phones and cash/credit cards and use to hate the fact that we had to take turns going in the water. I now use a Pacsafe. It holds all of our stuff and we offer to store any travel companion's things as well. There is a cord that you can wrap around a chair or something. I just stuff it in a beach bag, lock it and off in the water we go :D

http://www.pacsafe.com/travelsafe-5l-portable-safe.html