Need help with Disembarkation in Los Angeles

JUST4JENNA

im nervous because Carnivals recommedation is flight no earlier than 1;00 out of LAX when disembarking in Long Beach. my flight would be 12:35 pm uggh

I thought you were arriving on NCL.

Let me suggest that you post on the Cruise Line Board for the ship that you will be sailing to ask others who were on the same itinerary what their experience was.

In the end, it's important that you book the flight that you will feel comfortable with and I am one who does not want to spend half my cruise stressing out on this so I wouldn't want you to feel stress either.

It's wise that you are asking before you book as often people ask after.

Are there any other later flights. If so what would be the next flight?

Keith

Just realized Disembarkation is an hour later though in Long Beach. So am I ok with a 12:35 flight out of LA, if disembarkation is at 9:00 am in Long Beach? Thanks

Sorry Keith I don't agree with you on this one. If disembarkation doesn't even start until 9:00 and she has to be at LAX 2 hours before departure that means she has only 1-1/2 hours. Sure the freeways can be great - or not. But that leaves very little time to get off the ship. It would be cutting it too close for me. The OP had an extra hour but now has changed the debark time.

It is about 25 miles. You have to get off the ship, load up the car you have booked in advance (or taxi) and head out. Then you drive to LAX. Count an additional 10-15 minutes to get to your terminal and unload. Now you have to check in. That cuts it way to close for me.

All good points. The question is what 9:00 means. Not quite sure it means disembarkation. I think OP should check on the cruise line board to see the experiences of others. I do agree with you that if it does not start till 9:00 that a later flight would be best

Keith

From my personal experience, I would warn you about trying to figure out how early you might fly after a cruise from Long Beach...

After Galveston (clearly the worst), Long Beach is the next worst port for getting off the ship, through the lines and clearing customs...incredibly frustrating...

San Pedro is quite a bit better, but, still, too much of a risk to try to get to a 10:30 am flight...

Good news is that there are plenty of flights...at all hours...From LAX to Newark or JFK...

Just take the cruise out of San Pedro...and find a later flight home...

Just4Jenna-- you're on the Miracle? She almost always starts debarkation before 9am. Carnival's goal is to get pax off by 10-10:30.

Either get an early debark number or do self assist.

Our experience is the opposite of Bruin Steve's. Sailed 7 times last year, 4 out of San Pedro and 3 out of Long Beach. One cruise each port we let the ship take our luggage off, otherwise we self assist. San Pedro was horrible each time. Maybe we just know/when how to debark Long Beach with minimal fuss.

Good information on this subject. There are several things to consider. When doing a express departure some cruise lines (Like Princess) have made rules regarding how much luggage you can take on the express check out. That being one piece of luggage and one carry on per person. (Does make sense to most) On our last departure the first hour went exceptionally well when things came to a halt. It was 9:00 am and no one was allowed to depart the ship. This wasn't a problem for us since we drove to the port so and were not trying to make it to the airport. What had happened was the port authority dogs had sniffed out drugs that someone had brought on board from Mexico. The cruise line was very apologetic about everything going on but people that had flights to catch were starting to panic. Remember there are somethings that just can't be controlled so make sure you have plenty of time to get off of the ship and then to the airport. I think by the time we got to our car it was around 10:30 AM. This was not your normal cruise departure. This departure occurred in November 2014. Just a reminder of what can happen.

Tim