Specialty Restaurant questions

dcassetta

Sailing in about 3 weeks and there is still plenty of availability at the specialty restaurants. With the exception of the one night only Sel de Mer, is it essential to book ahead? Have quite a bit of onboard credit that could be used for dining. If booking ahead is recommended, can onboard credit be used for tips in the specialty restaurants?

Not essential to book ahead, unless you have a larger group that MUST dine on a particular day and time. OBC can be used for any additional gratuity at a specialty venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OBC can be used for any additional gratuity at a specialty venue.
How? There's no way to add a tip to a check. You don't even get something to sign unless you order wine or drinks. Did you mean to say can not?

Unless it is something quite new, There haa never been any palce on the check to add a tip. We always tip in cash it would be conv enient if possible to addd it on the written checkifone is presented . When ever I have pre0booked our reservations, we have not gotten a check for food o nly for wine/ beverages.

Sail - maybe I was thinking of the alcohol check (we always have cocktails and/or wine).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, Hunky. HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT cruise and enjoy Tamarind. :)

There isn't any way you can add tips to the check in any specialty restaurant for any dinners that you order.

Also there are no lines for extra tips to be added on the bar bills anywhere on the ship.

I guess I assumed tipping would be additional. Thanks!

Sailing in about 3 weeks and there is still plenty of availability at the specialty restaurants. With the exception of the one night only Sel de Mer, is it essential to book ahead? Have quite a bit of onboard credit that could be used for dining. If booking ahead is recommended, can onboard credit be used for tips in the specialty restaurants?

What ship and what restaurants? Also, what time?

We missed out on the Pinnacle Grill on our Veendam trip since I waited until getting on board. I went on embarkation day and they were already completely booked with the exception of one night at 5.30 pm which is way too early for dinner. I did get to have lunch there [with the wonderful Captain Card no less!] later in the voyage but I would have booked dinner ahead if I'd known.

On the Westerdam we booked Pinnacle ahead for the first night and it was a wonderful way to start the voyage.

On my upcoming Zuiderdam trip I've booked ahead Canaletto as I've never tried that venue before and wanted to give it a go to break up the 12 night trip.

If you want a specific time it may be best to book ahead.

What ship and what restaurants? Also, what time?

We missed out on the Pinnacle Grill on our Veendam trip since I waited until getting on board. I went on embarkation day and they were already completely booked with the exception of one night at 5.30 pm which is way too early for dinner. I did get to have lunch there [with the wonderful Captain Card no less!] later in the voyage but I would have booked dinner ahead if I'd known.

On the Westerdam we booked Pinnacle ahead for the first night and it was a wonderful way to start the voyage.

On my upcoming Zuiderdam trip I've booked ahead Canaletto as I've never tried that venue before and wanted to give it a go to break up the 12 night trip.

If you want a specific time it may be best to book ahead.

Thanks, on the Eurodam to Alaska. I saw similar advice on another thread so went ahead and booked dining today. I am sure the onboard credit will get spent!

Thanks, on the Eurodam to Alaska. I saw similar advice on another thread so went ahead and booked dining today. I am sure the onboard credit will get spent!

Good idea. Several months out no Pinnacle Grill openings were available any night of the trip. Glad you booked

Have a great trip! I did the same itinerary last year on the Westerdam. The scenery is breathtaking.

AND enjoy the PG; it's a nice dining experience.

I have aded tips to dhecks in the salon....... had mani, pedi and there was a line where i Icould write in tip.

Salon operators are contractors to HAL. Yes, they do have that. I find it kind of funny since the few things I have done on board have a tip added already.

For the specialty restaurants, we just bring cash for the tip. (I think that is what this thread is about ;) )

I have aded tips to dhecks in the salon....... had mani, pedi and there was a line where i Icould write in tip.

Sail, in recent years a 15% tip has been included in the bill in the salon.

Sailing in about 3 weeks and there is still plenty of availability at the specialty restaurants.
How do you check this? Start a fake reservation? I've tired that but never had a denial before bailing out. Do you have to add to cart and then remove from cart?

Also - we have a PG night on Explore4 promo. Do we need to reserve this or will we be assigned a night and if so how soon can we find out? Will it be coordinated with our MDR fixed late seating and also be at about 8pm? Given the high number of people with Explore4 I suspect PG will be pretty much pre-booked up completely.

We wanted to do one Canaletto night but wanted to see MDR menu first to determine which night. I had asked previously if entire cruise menus were available to check when we board but apparently not.

How do you check this? Start a fake reservation? I've tired that but never had a denial before bailing out. Do you have to add to cart and then remove from cart?

Also - we have a PG night on Explore4 promo. Do we need to reserve this or will we be assigned a night and if so how soon can we find out? Will it be coordinated with our MDR fixed late seating and also be at about 8pm? Given the high number of people with Explore4 I suspect PG will be pretty much pre-booked up completely.

We wanted to do one Canaletto night but wanted to see MDR menu first to determine which night. I had asked previously if entire cruise menus were available to check when we board but apparently not.

Just log in and go to dining. When you select the restaurant you can see all the dates, click and see the current available times. You don't have to add it to your cart unless you want to reserve.

The Explore4 promo for the PG will be assigned for you by HAL. The reservation will be in your room when you get on board. Don't expect it to match your dining time in the MDR though. It will be what they wish to assign and, you can potentially go to the PG on embarkation day to see if you can change it.

You could also potentially book and see if you can get credit for your paid PG dinner and substitute that time with your Explore4.

Canaletto is not booked up in our experience. You can get the next night's menu usually onboard and, if you do so, that should give you enough time to get a time close to your liking I would think.