HAL Cruise Pricing; have they gone nuts !

RedneckBob

Club 21 members get some pretty extraordinary deals too. What exactly are you looking for?

"Midnight Sun" cruises on other cruise lines also show little price differential for the inside cabins compared to ocean view rooms. Makes sense to me - not having a window all the sudden becomes a desirable feature. No bulter with the ocean views either so not sure what the quibble is about. You are just bedding down with the animal spirits of capitalism in this case.

What is interesting is the reputation for the VOV always being sold out a year in advance, but only a few cabin classes are now sold out this late in the game for its upcoming August cruising. Must be those animal spirits at play again. Maybe the good fairy will land on your shoulder since all good things come to those who wait. Or not.

If you think HALs prices are crazy, check out Celebrity! The prices on the new Edge are rediculous. Princess currently has some great deals in Alaska and Europe. Another thought is that as it gets closer to a holiday, Memorial Day in the states, prices go up so there can be a holiday "sale."

On our one experience with the cruise line agent I felt as though he was looking for excuses to lower the fare and get us to book. We had checked the on line booking price on the Australian web site. We are over 55- seniors. One month before sailing date.

I wanted to stay on the phone as long as possible. We would normally be entitled to a $200. discount for booking balcony because of our cruise line status. He agent said it would be $200. each. He asked us our age, even though he had our profile up on his screen. He offered us a 'special' seniors rate and said he had one balcony cabin left in that section. That was another $600. saving. The cabin was two doors down from the one he originally priced. Same category. He also threw in a $200. USD on board credit. I kept him talking as long as possible and then said yes.

I just got super confused until I realized you were talking about a different cruise line. lol

Edited by *Miss G*

IMO the reason the insides are close to $300 a night on the VOV is because of the size of the ship plus the unusual ports.. As other posters mentioned they only do this once a year..

We normally book outside cabins & usually pay under $300 a night for two..

However, each time we have booked on the Prinsendam, we paid double what we would normally pay for an "E" outside due to the unusual ports & the size of the ship..:cool: each time it was a special itinerary such as the Amazon or South Amer/Antarctica..

OP you said it was not Oceania, but we went on HAL to the Amazon in April of 2006 on the Prinsendam for 25 days.. Then again went to the Amazon in Nov of 2007 on Oceania for 26 days.. Oceania's fare was $1,000 less the next year & Gratituities as well as all special restaurants, were included..

That's why I base my opinion on the fact that it's both the itinerary & ship which dictates the price..

I would give my eyeteeth to do the VOV & be willing to pay the price if DH was able to do it.. Unfortunately, doubt that we will ever be able to do it..

My advice to everyone is don't put the special cruises off.. If you can do it, go for it now rather than later!!!

Edited by serendipity1499

HAL has increased their prices. The only time I can get good price for me as a solo is in November from FLA. They bring the ships back and the prices are reasonable. HAL is still not doing a good job for solo cruisers. OH and if you are just checking stuff out on their website and then don't book, the next thing ya know an email comes to you. They monitor folks coming and going then track you down. However, Carnival and Princess pricing is up as well. only NCL has good prices these days. But HAL has interesting itineraries so buck up I guess and pay more right.

Prices will remain high just as long as demand is high. HAL is no different than any other cruise line.

Just a few years ago it seems that prices for Med cruises were at the very bottom because demand was so low. Different now....which means a completely different decision tree.

I cannot blame HAL for taking advantage of demand. It is just good business. No different than hotels, airlines, and rental cars.

IMO the reason the insides are close to $300 a night on the VOV is because of the size of the ship plus the unusual ports.. As other posters mentioned they only do this once a year..

We normally book outside cabins & usually pay under $300 a night for two..

However, each time we have booked on the Prinsendam, we paid double what we would normally pay for an "E" outside due to the unusual ports & the size of the ship..:cool: each time it was a special itinerary such as the Amazon or South Amer/Antarctica..

OP you said it was not Oceania, but we went on HAL to the Amazon in April of 2006 on the Prinsendam for 25 days.. Then again went to the Amazon in Nov of 2007 on Oceania for 26 days.. Oceania's fare was $1,000 less the next year & Gratituities as well as all special restaurants, were included..

That's why I base my opinion on the fact that it's both the itinerary & ship which dictates the price..

I would give my eyeteeth to do the VOV & be willing to pay the price if DH was able to do it.. Unfortunately, doubt that we will ever be able to do it..

My advice to everyone is don't put the special cruises off.. If you can do it, go for it now rather than later!!!

I understand. Location, Location, Location. But I can't understand why HAL can't give you something more than a cabin for paying such a high price. I did some research and this may not be comparing peanuts to cashews, I mean apples to apples, but hear goes.

The VoV price for the Vista Suites was $400 a day per person. Except for maybe a cabin credit, no other extras.

Regent offers a similar but longer cruise from Montreal to New York that goes to Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Holland and other countries. This is a one time cruise. Their window suite (300 sq ft) is $440 a day per person; but included in price is Free Airfare, Free Tips, Free Drinks, Free WiFi, Free Shore Excursions, and more. Oh I forgot, a $250 cabin credit.

I understand. Location, Location, Location. But I can't understand why HAL can't give you something more than a cabin for paying such a high price. I did some research and this may not be comparing peanuts to cashews, I mean apples to apples, but hear goes.

The VoV price for the Vista Suites was $400 a day per person. Except for maybe a cabin credit, no other extras.

Regent offers a similar but longer cruise from Montreal to New York that goes to Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Holland and other countries. This is a one time cruise. Their window suite (300 sq ft) is $440 a day per person; but included in price is Free Airfare, Free Tips, Free Drinks, Free WiFi, Free Shore Excursions, and more. Oh I forgot, a $250 cabin credit.

38 days x $140 more on Regent equals $5,300 more. Where is the extra free stuff you get from Regent?

My checking found a Regent 41 day one-way with limited VOV port duplications with a Baltic extension for $700 a day -Regent balcony.

38 days x $140 more on Regent equals $5,300 more. Where is the extra free stuff you get from Regent?

My checking found a Regent 41 day one-way with limited VOV port duplications with a Baltic extension for $700 a day -Regent balcony.

I'm not a math wizard but I don't think you understood my analysis.

I said this may not be comparing apples to apples;

I compared price of a Vista Suite on HAL (292 sq ft) vs. Window Suite on Regent (300 sq ft).

HAL price was $400 per day per person

Regent price was $440 per day per person plus all the extras.

The Regent cruise starts in Montreal and follows the same route as HAL VoV and also goes to Russia, Spain and back to NYC

I'm not a math wizard but I don't think you understood my analysis.

I said this may not be comparing apples to apples;

I compared price of a Vista Suite on HAL (292 sq ft) vs. Window Suite on Regent (300 sq ft).

HAL price was $400 per day per person

Regent price was $440 per day per person plus all the extras.

The Regent cruise starts in Montreal and follows the same route as HAL VoV and also goes to Russia, Spain and back to NYC

Well, when you play Calvin Ball rules you can come up with anything you want. Got it.

Now let's compare it to a HAL inside or ocean view cabin, and not just the same square feet of the cabin regardless of whether it includes a balcony or not.

BTW I thought Regent was all balcony so their "window cabin" may have been a loss-leader of limited availability? Oceania always likes to do that when they send out their brochures.

Actually, for those wanting to do a one-way VOV-lite, I believe the Westerdam has very nice transatlantic repositioning option that goes to ports even the VOV does not go to and the price is a lot more accessible than the Rotterdam version. .

Well, when you play Calvin Ball rules you can come up with anything you want. Got it.

Now let's compare it to a HAL inside or ocean view cabin, and not just the same square feet of the cabin regardless of whether it includes a balcony or not.

BTW I thought Regent was all balcony so their "window cabin" may have been a loss-leader of limited availability? Oceania always likes to do that when they send out their brochures.

Actually, for those wanting to do a one-way VOV-lite, I believe the Westerdam has very nice transatlantic repositioning option that goes to ports even the VOV does not go to and the price is a lot more accessible than the Rotterdam version. .

Could you please provide more details on the westerdam cruise you are talking about? I'm looking for a month and year. I've tried to find it but with such vague details I'm not having much luck. Thank you.

Could you please provide more details on the westerdam cruise you are talking about? I'm looking for a month and year. I've tried to find it but with such vague details I'm not having much luck. Thank you.

Hope the poster who is taking this VOV-lite cruise shows up to give you the details. I found it myself but now the details are very fuzzy ....might not even be the Westerdam, but pretty sure it was a Vista ship. Sorry if I created a wild goose chase here, but it was a very good itinerary - I was impressed. Maybe if you look for three port stops in Greenland It might show up. I'll give it another try myself since I started this.

Found it: Zuiderdam - Copenhagen to NYC - August 23, 2017 - VOV-lite https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=E7T18S&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=U750&selectedMeta=Interior&shipId=UU

18 day -starting $3100 - $172 a day

Well,

n. .

I have sailed Regent several times. 15-17% of cabins on small ships are Window Suites. They are excellent and I find more space and luxury compared to HAL Vista Suites.

Though have sailed on HAL past +35 years, have gone to other cruise lines that offer more stuff for same prices.

I have sailed Regent several times. 15-17% of cabins on small ships are Window Suites. They are excellent and I find more space and luxury compared to HAL Vista Suites.

Though have sailed on HAL past +35 years, have gone to other cruise lines that offer more stuff for same prices.

Regent are lovely ships -great when you can find bargain prices too.

Hope the poster who is taking this VOV-lite cruise shows up to give you the details. I found it myself but now the details are very fuzzy ....might not even be the Westerdam, but pretty sure it was a Vista ship. Sorry if I created a wild goose chase here, but it was a very good itinerary - I was impressed. Maybe if you look for three port stops in Greenland It might show up. I'll give it another try myself since I started this.

Found it: Zuiderdam - Copenhagen to NYC - August 23, 2017 - VOV-lite https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=E7T18S&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=U750&selectedMeta=Interior&shipId=UU

Thank you.

That is as great itinerary. I have done two inexpensive TAs from Europe to US, with great itineraries, which I'd love to repeat. However, one way international air fares were too expensive from Australia.

Hi y'all, Redneck Bob hear.

Since I have sailed Oceania pass 4 years, once they set there prices on line, they never or rarely change. That's why if I sale HAL I only book last minute when prices have dropped like a rock. So unfair to high paying customers.

I'm Redneck Bob and see it like I tell it, I mean tell it like I see it !

Well, HAL has sucked me back in.

Just received email from HAL that I acted on immediately. Today I booked a Alaska cruise out of Seattle sailing in 16 days. Got Signature Suite on Oosterdam; price dropped approximately 60% !

I will continue to always wait for last minute deals. Can't afford to stay home :)

Agree with you entirely. We do the same.

There is another benefit to booking Alaska as close to sailing date as possible-weather. The weather can certainly be variable but our experience from living in Vancouver is that the closer you get to sailing date the more accurate the weather becomes. Not difficult to get an outside for $499/599 or a balcony for 949/999 if you shop around-on HAL and others.

More than once we have planned land trips in Europe around the possibility of securing a good late booking offer. We have been successful more often than not in the past.

"I know HAL is in business to make money but their cruise pricing makes no sense. In the past two weeks I saw the price for VoV inside cabin for 8/2/17 selling between $170 to $260 per person per day for an inside cabin. This is crazy. $170 is too high. I know this is a popular cruise but almost $300 per day per person for inside cabin. I am not sailing on Oceania or Seabourne! In 2009 I paid $100 per day per person for inside on VoV."

You say you paid $100 per day per person in 2009. Tell me what else hasn't increased in cost since then. Certainly not taxes, fuel, wages, groceries.

"I know HAL is in business to make money but their cruise pricing makes no sense. In the past two weeks I saw the price for VoV inside cabin for 8/2/17 selling between $170 to $260 per person per day for an inside cabin. This is crazy. $170 is too high.

You say you paid $100 per day per person in 2009. Tell me what else hasn't increased in cost since then. Certainly not taxes, fuel, wages, groceries.

Let's see. And let me say I'm not great at math. The price of an inside cabin from 2009 to 2017 has increased 260% but fuel prices are currently lower in the US today than in 2009. I don't think wages or groceries have increased 260%

I guess it depends on how much you want to cruise that particular itinerary.

We have just paid quite a premium for our next cruise but there were very few SS cabins left and we really needed to book now or miss out.

We don't cruise for the sake of cruising - we cruise on itinerary.

We have many travel options and a long bucket list. We only pick up a cruise if the price is right, often inside the final payment window. We won't pay over the odds simply because demand is high. We move on to another ship, itinerary, or another travel option.

We have many travel options and a long bucket list. We only pick up a cruise if the price is right, often inside the final payment window. We won't pay over the odds simply because demand is high. We move on to another ship, itinerary, or another travel option.

Ditto.

Though itinerary is important to us, any Alaska cruise from one who lives in Florida is a dream itinerary. In the past year we have booked three cruises 3 to 16 days prior to sailing with incredible savings. When I look for cruise deals, which I research a lot, I check several months out how the cabins are selling so I know what may be out there

Ditto.

Though itinerary is important to us, any Alaska cruise from one who lives in Florida is a dream itinerary. In the past year we have booked three cruises 3 to 16 days prior to sailing with incredible savings. When I look for cruise deals, which I research a lot, I check several months out how the cabins are selling so I know what may be out there

Way to go! Looking forward to your cruise reports!:)

There are some wonderful values out there...it all depends on the ship and itinerary.

I think using the Voyage of the Vikings as a barometer is flawed...its an itinerary that HAL does just once a year and on a smaller ship. Demand fuels the pricing, so to see it cost upwards of $300 per night for an inside doesn't surprise me at all.

It's no different than if the best show on Broadway was playing once a year versus once a week. Of course the once-a-year ticket price will be high, for the number of seats is very limited.

I agree with you it is once a year.

The Celebrity CEO is on record as saying the same.

But here is problem. A ship is 30 days from sailing and occupancy is 65 percent. What to do?

Sail at maybe 70 as per what your pricing model is telling you IF you maintain current pricing?

Or reduce prices, bundle in more value in the form of OBC's, prepaid grats, maybe a drink package, whatever and thereby sail at 95. Then hope that the extra 25 percent spend some cash on board or take excursions in order to increase revenue/profit?

It is a tough choice....especially for a Noordam or a Kdam. Once she sails, the inventory has no value whatsoever. Is something better than nothing?

The bean counters will figure it out and the CEO will do what is best for the bottom line. Airlines and hotels have the same challenge. That is why they use consolidators, Priceline, and Hotwire. And we use all three from time to time.

We are retired, have no problem with last minute travel, and are very flexible. So we watch for the offers and grab the good ones as they go by. Why not, why stay home?