Hydro Pool question

jbobst

We were on the Westerdam last November and purchased the spa/hydro pool package. We really enjoyed the thermal suite and hydro pool, but a couple days into the cruise, the hydro pool was not looking so good. The water was really foamy and cloudy. I asked the spa staff and they said they would look into it, but nothing was done. By the end of the cruise, it was really bad. I recently read on another thread that someone else had noticed the same thing on the Eurodam. We are going on the Eurodam this coming week, and while we would like to buy the package again, I am hesitant because we probably won't want to use the hydro pool later on in the cruise if it gets nasty. Has anyone every had success getting the ship staff to change the water during the cruise? I am sure they will try to sell us the package on embarkation day during the spa tour, but I doubt they will make any promises about changing the water mid cruise.

I know many cruisers will never get into a hot tub or hydro pool on a ship. I hope this thread doesn't regress into a lecture about how bad they are for you :) . But, any advice would be helpful from those of you who have had similar experiences would be good.

Thank you for your post. I am on the same sailing as you on Eurodam and I didn't know what the situation was with the hydra pool.

I didn't know it was only accessible if you purchased a spa package, so thank you for that information.

Hopefully somebody who has been on board recently can shed some light about it.

We also had the hydropool pass. During our 16 day Eurodam cruise, they closed the pool from 8-10 PM for cleaning about 4 times. One day it got particularly bad, but they straightened it out in a few hours. I posted on another thread, but while we really enjoyed the hydropool, it seemed like the spa really struggled to keep it clean and at the right temp.

I would not hesitate to get the pass again, but as this last time, I'd be a thorn in the side of whoever was in charge of it, if it wasn't running properly.

The hydrotherapy pool is the amenity that I enjoy the most on the Vista and Signature Class ships. I have never seen the situation that the OP describes on any of my cruises. But, I have been on several when the pool is closed early in the evening for cleaning.

If speaking with the Spa Manager, who ought to be responsible for the pool since it is a Spa amenity, does not resolve your concerns about perceived issues, ask to speak with the staff member who oversees the operations of the concessionaires. (I don't recall that person's exact title. But, he/she exists.) The Guest Relations Manager ought to be able to assist as well.

I've said my beef on another thread, but will explain what we know of the Eurodam spa on this April sailing.

And yes, I've heard all the horror stories about using them... also heard the documented scientific data on the use of the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, but you couldn't drag me away from it :)

Our 16 day spa pack embarkation special $559.00 US for a couple. ($767.00 Canadian.) That is waaay too much money for the offerings, but we splurged. (Almost asked for half of it back)

The aroma therapy steam room ran out of aroma after day 2. The ladies change room offers plenty of towels, lockers (which were mostly broken or wobbling). They give you hard plastic flip flops, which everyone was complaining of them being too small, myself included, as too were the men. The robes were huge and double layered. The soap, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion are labelled as Elemis products. (they are in bottles marked as such. The Ladies change room was always tidy, showers were always being used. I liked the fact that I could shower and shampoo right on the spot after using the spa without having to walk back to the cabin to do. There are two small private change rooms that are supposed to be used just for that. Unfortunately during two of my visits a young lady had laid out her towel supply with rolled towels etc and was lying on the short bench, relaxing there. Hence holding up the one private change room. She was furious when I asked if I could use for a quick 2 min, so furious in fact, she had a stare down, then threw a tantrum, including the towels all over the room.......... LOL.... I guess the rumour that violinists are tempermental crazy diva's, is correct.

Anyway.. I was so furious with the 3rd day of a cool spa, slime, and scum, and no aroma, I quietly reported the young lady's misuse of the change areas (her tantrum pushed my buttons), and the spa ( my second time to report). Obviously nothing was done. The therapy pool remained in same condition, so we gave up using. Once the Norovirus Outbreak was called, we stopped visiting the area all together.

I know the first time I reported, I was one of many who reported the pool. They stated someone was trying to work on the heating of it. The next time, the reply was "yes, we know, we'll put another call into them, we've been waiting"

A sign was posted on the door the first time. Some customers were outright indignant and frustrated.

I have much more patience, but reflecting back, I would love that $767. back in my pocket right now.

At one point they had added so much chlorine it ate the bottom of my bathing suit, yes, it ate it. And when I ran my fingers on the once white tiles, (at that point they were yellow), the scum removed remained on my fingers in a gel, burning my fingers. All signs of overloading of chlorine.

The thermal beds are comfortable for some, and no chogging is supposed to happen. I never saw any.

At beginning of cruise we asked to purchase just the therapy pool, "can't do". I asked if we could purchase a day pass, and no "can't do". They told us only 42 spa packs were sold, and they go quick. I have a hard time believing that.

I wondered about the cabana's on that cruise, as I only ever say a few in use???

Personally I think the spa pack is a huge waste of money, and very sorry I wasted that money. I didn't do the gym this trip, but it looked like a great little gym.

I've said my beef on another thread, but will explain what we know of the Eurodam spa on this April sailing.

And yes, I've heard all the horror stories about using them... also heard the documented scientific data on the use of the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, but you couldn't drag me away from it :)

Our 16 day spa pack embarkation special $559.00 US for a couple. ($767.00 Canadian.) That is waaay too much money for the offerings, but we splurged. (Almost asked for half of it back)

The aroma therapy steam room ran out of aroma after day 2. The ladies change room offers plenty of towels, lockers (which were mostly broken or wobbling). They give you hard plastic flip flops, which everyone was complaining of them being too small, myself included, as too were the men. The robes were huge and double layered. The soap, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion are labelled as Elemis products. (they are in bottles marked as such. The Ladies change room was always tidy, showers were always being used. I liked the fact that I could shower and shampoo right on the spot after using the spa without having to walk back to the cabin to do. There are two small private change rooms that are supposed to be used just for that. Unfortunately during two of my visits a young lady had laid out her towel supply with rolled towels etc and was lying on the short bench, relaxing there. Hence holding up the one private change room. She was furious when I asked if I could use for a quick 2 min, so furious in fact, she had a stare down, then threw a tantrum, including the towels all over the room.......... LOL.... I guess the rumour that violinists are tempermental crazy diva's, is correct.

Anyway.. I was so furious with the 3rd day of a cool spa, slime, and scum, and no aroma, I quietly reported the young lady's misuse of the change areas (her tantrum pushed my buttons), and the spa ( my second time to report). Obviously nothing was done. The therapy pool remained in same condition, so we gave up using. Once the Norovirus Outbreak was called, we stopped visiting the area all together.

I know the first time I reported, I was one of many who reported the pool. They stated someone was trying to work on the heating of it. The next time, the reply was "yes, we know, we'll put another call into them, we've been waiting"

A sign was posted on the door the first time. Some customers were outright indignant and frustrated.

I have much more patience, but reflecting back, I would love that $767. back in my pocket right now.

At one point they had added so much chlorine it ate the bottom of my bathing suit, yes, it ate it. And when I ran my fingers on the once white tiles, (at that point they were yellow), the scum removed remained on my fingers in a gel, burning my fingers. All signs of overloading of chlorine.

The thermal beds are comfortable for some, and no chogging is supposed to happen. I never saw any.

At beginning of cruise we asked to purchase just the therapy pool, "can't do". I asked if we could purchase a day pass, and no "can't do". They told us only 42 spa packs were sold, and they go quick. I have a hard time believing that.

I wondered about the cabana's on that cruise, as I only ever say a few in use???

Personally I think the spa pack is a huge waste of money, and very sorry I wasted that money. I didn't do the gym this trip, but it looked like a great little gym.

Yuck! I think at the very least you deserve some sort of refund since you couldn't use the hydra pool after a few days.

I was thinking about renting a cabana but I want to see them first. I called yesterday and they still have some available but they did try to get me to pay for it then. I think I'll wait.

Wow, that is disgusting! We've had great luck with the cleanliness of the spa and thermal suite (Zuiderdam and Oosterdam), but if it was as bad as that, I'd be asking for a refund.

I wish we could get a pass only for the hydropool. We do use the ceramic loungers, but could live without them. Don't bother with the sauna, steam, etc. It's disappointing that the smaller ships don't have the hydropool. For those who have been on the S and R class, what is the big tub in the thermal suite like? Is it warm like the hydropools, or hot like typical hot tubs?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this thread. We got off the Eurodam this morning and did the thermal suite for the week. It was VERY nice! So much better than our previous Westerdam cruise last Fall. The water in they hydro pool was a clear and blue all week long. The whole pool/thermal suite area was just so nicely done compared to the Westerdam. We were very impressed. I'll post some pictures soon. (Westerday recently went into dry dock, so it might be better now)

When there was a norovirus outbreak on one of our Westerdam cruises, we received a partial refund for our thermal suite pass for the unusable days when they closed the thalassotherapy pool.

On the Zuiderdam a few months ago, we decided the cost of the 10-day pass was more than we were willing to pay. I had hoped to get a day pass for one of the port days when we were not planning to get off the ship. We ended up not doing so because of miscommunication with the spa staff about a possible port-day discount. We never saw many folks using the thermal suite on that cruise.

Just wanted to update this thread. We got off the Eurodam this morning and did the thermal suite for the week. It was VERY nice! So much better than our previous Westerdam cruise last Fall. The water in they hydro pool was a clear and blue all week long. The whole pool/thermal suite area was just so nicely done compared to the Westerdam. We were very impressed. I'll post some pictures soon. (Westerday recently went into dry dock, so it might be better now)

Thanks for the update - I'm also going to be on the Eurodam in two weeks and have purchaced the pool/thermal suite for the week. I wondered if that was a mistake early on this thread. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, the thermal suite is closed on the last night of each segment for cleaning, refilling and reheating so that it is ready for embarkation the next day. When you are doing short segments, such as Alaska and the Caribbean, then the cleaning is frequent and problems are unlikely. When you get longer segments, though, it can be more problematic.

That being said, good hygiene practices on your own part (shower before and after use, for example), will mitigate many risks (but not chlorine damage to your swimwear!)

In my experience, the thermal suite is closed on the last night of each segment for cleaning, refilling and reheating so that it is ready for embarkation the next day. When you are doing short segments, such as Alaska and the Caribbean, then the cleaning is frequent and problems are unlikely. When you get longer segments, though, it can be more problematic.

That being said, good hygiene practices on your own part (shower before and after use, for example), will mitigate many risks (but not chlorine damage to your swimwear!)

I have noticed that the Hyrdo pool will fade swimsuits.

I have noticed that the Hyrdo pool will fade swimsuits.

YES! That is a fact. My good quality swim trunks went from a navy blue color to a pleasant purple. No harm to the fabric on the exterior or interior. I continue to wear them. They had experienced several of the Hydropools on Vista, Signature, and R-Class ships. So, it took some time for the fading to take place.

Thank you for your post. I am on the same sailing as you on Eurodam and I didn't know what the situation was with the hydra pool.

I didn't know it was only accessible if you purchased a spa package, so thank you for that information.

Hopefully somebody who has been on board recently can shed some light about it.

Styles, how did the thermal spa look on your cruise. Was it clean?