Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread (Updated July 2016)

Andy

As long as the shirt has sleeves the length seems not to matter.Enjoy the "Chic Evenings" and enjoy the cruise too.

I'm still not positive. I read that the sport shirt needs sleeves. I have sport shirts that have short sleeves and others that have long sleeves. I don't have any that have no sleeves.

I am a huge fan of Guayaberas, and that's what I plan to wear. They are casual or formal and fun. You can wear one to the beach or to a party. Very comfortable and practical. Guayaberas are worn by presidents, movies stars and your average Joe. Today, it is common to see women wearing one.

103_config_traditional_wine_ss.jpg.1cc7bd07cb3664947cd040f7890a9580.jpg

guayabera5.jpg.f9de5de86f5c220c1ac599652ed32f83.jpg

cub1036.jpg.17b3ce370df65838c11038aa5045e541.jpg

I have been cruising for a while and never have I heard so much back and forth on what to wear (tux no tux...button down no buttons...evening gown or cocktail dress, jacket or no jacket) as I have on cruise critic. This is my belief...

I am on VACATION...REST...RELAXATION...HAVE FUN. Which by the way I paid for with MY hard earned money. I am not on a runway, doing a photo shoot or trying to impress others with what I wear. My clothes are clean and age appropriate for me. Nothing too short, nothing revealing, nothing exposing. If someone wants to wear jeans to dinner, why shouldn't they. If a gentlemen does not want to wear a tux or tie on formal night, why should he. I for one am glad cruising has taking a turn. This is not the days of old. When cruising was for the elite and rich.

My husband and I are not ones to wear jeans, tank tops, or short to dinner. We wore the dress up clothes way back when. However, time have changed. I don't insist that others dress the way I do. This is their vacation and they should dress how they want to as long as it is appropriate and fits the dress code the cruise line as set forth.

I have seen far worst (and I mean far worst) and totally inappropriate at the pool on cruise ships. Maybe that is where there should be a dress code and where concerns should be directed. I suggest some cruisers concentrate on having a wonderful vacation and less on what they are going to wear. Just my two cents.

Happy cruising :)

Just off the Summit, I did not see shorts and myself wore jeans every night. On chic nights it was a ranges of casual to very dressy, all other night very casual and as for shirts for men, I saw plenty with no collar, I myself wore short sleeves with a collar every night. Happy cruising

Just off the Summit August 7th cruise and saw 4 men in tuxes at the evening show on elegant chic night, 10 men in suits, about 15 percent of the men in sports jackets (most without ties) and 5 men in jeans. During the last evening in Blu, a 30 something couple were seated wearing shorts. Her shorts were really short shorts while his were knee length. They were both wearing t-shirts. They really looked out of place. I enjoyed the elegant chic dress code and would like to see it enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bet they were happy and comfortable.

They looked perfectly happy. Perhaps, the cruise lines just need to get out of the dress code business and just treat folks as guests. I would never tell a guest in my home how to dress...except if We were hosting a costume party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a huge fan of Guayaberas, and that's what I plan to wear. They are casual or formal and fun. You can wear one to the beach or to a party. Very comfortable and practical. Guayaberas are worn by presidents, movies stars and your average Joe. Today, it is common to see women wearing one.

I took my guayaberas on my last cruise, but didn't wear them on cruise elegant night (I think that's what they call it on Princess). I will pick up a long sleeve guayabera shirt for my next cruise. I have a tux I'll probably wear on the first "chic" night, but I'd like to wear something like a guayabera on the second night.

I, too, don't care what others wear, but I felt like I stuck out on my last cruise when I wore my white dinner jacket. Far fewer people wearing formal wear than I'm used to, but that seems to be the trend. Of course I was on an Alaskan cruise so that may have skewed the dress somewhat.

Jim

Thanks for the imput on Celebrity's new dress code. We are taking the NE to Quebec fall cruise and not having to worry about packing appropriate formal night wear is a big relief. Since we have to pay for luggage on our airline this will be a savings!:)

I am so jealous! I would love to do that cruise however, my Bride's job prevents her from taking off in the fall. we will just have to put it on the retirement bucket list! Enjoy your cruise and I'm sure you will love Celebrity.

The irony is that even though Celebrity's dress code is now "wear whatever you want as long as it isn't swimwear/gymwear," we are still talking about it! I'm wondering when the whole discussion will peter out... I think having the entire issue go away was Celebrity's goal in redefining "formal night," anyway.

It is equally funny to me that with the new definition, folks in dinner jackets -- still totally within the parameters -- now feel out of place :o, whereas in the past, folks in casual clothes -- totally outside the parameters at the time -- felt completely at home...:eek:

It is equally funny to me that with the new definition, folks in dinner jackets -- still totally within the parameters -- now feel out of place :o, whereas in the past, folks in casual clothes -- totally outside the parameters at the time -- felt completely at home...:eek:

'In olden days a hint of stocking.......now....Anything Goes'

We're just off Connie and on all three of our 'Chic' nights, shorts were worn in the MDR by several passengers. Now it doesn't matter to me what pax wear as it doesn't affect the taste of my food, however, my DH did take umbrage to the fact that people couldn't be bothered to dress for dinner (and before anyone states they could have just put them clean on, some of these were the same shorts and T-shirts we'd seen them in for the past 48 hours, and they hadn't lost their luggage :eek:). We also saw women walk into the buffet in bikinis with towels wrapped around their shoulders - no cover ups.

He did mention this to the CC Host, who said it's only a suggested code. My DH continued by stating he thought there was no point in printing a dress code if staff were unable to to say anything to the guests who didn't comply. As I mentioned above, I'm indifferent about the whole 'Chic' night debacle - he, on the other hand, was quite frustrated with the lack of regard/respect by other passengers to adhere to the guidelines - why book a line with a suggested dress code and then do the opposite. Yes, they are only suggestions and not compulsory, but why for instance would you reserve a table at a Thai restaurant and then insist on them making you a pizza? He insists it's a slippery slope.

So the question is: in their literature, should X bother to print the suggested dress code at all?

"So the question is: in their literature, should X bother to print the suggested dress code at all?"

No! They need to print a "REQUIRED" dress code!

I don't care what the code say's however, make it a rule period. That way it isn't up for interpretation. If they allow shorts, fine. If not put it in writing what is and is not allowed. If they do this EVERYONE knows the rules to the game before you sign up to play!.....End Rant. Cheers!:D

I'm still not positive. I read that the sport shirt needs sleeves. I have sport shirts that have short sleeves and others that have long sleeves. I don't have any that have no sleeves.

I had dinner the other night at a Ruth Chris' Steak House in Washington DC and it supposedly has a strict PM dresscode.. ya well... there was everything from Tux/Wedding party dress up to what belonged on the beach or pool.

I think its time to accept what's happening everywhere in the world and if you really want formal.. there are cruise ship lines which really focus on that... aren't there? e,g. Crystal, QEII

The Filipino button shirt can be quite dressy as someone mentioned and it is intended to be W/O TIE..

Enjoy.. aren't you on vacation :-)

Edited by draftxhorselover

"So the question is: in their literature, should X bother to print the suggested dress code at all?"

I don't care what the code say's however, make it a rule period. That way it isn't up for interpretation. If they allow shorts, fine. If not put it in writing what is and is not allowed. If they do this EVERYONE knows the rules to the game before you sign up to play!.....End Rant. Cheers!:D

Agreed that a code is needed, but they also need to enforce whatever code is published. That's always been an issue. We've seen it many times on ships where the dress code states something particular for a given night or venue and you see several who have clearly not complied but were not turned away. It's also not a matter of going somewhere else if one wants formal, as another posted mentioned, it's about respecting the guidelines/code set by the management and dressing appropriately for the event/occasion/atmosphere. Beach attire is just fine for the beach/pool/beach bar, but it's not at a place like Ruth Chris or in the MDR of a cruise ship. In both instances it should be enforced, and when it's not, people know that they can ignore what's been presented. There have been countless threads for years on these boards of people discussing ways to interpret or even avoid the dress codes imposed by the ships, and when the customers know that the guide lines aren't enforced, they are less likely to comply. For me, I like dressing up when we go to a nice restaurant, and I treat the MDR or specialty restaurants as such, and I'll continue to bring nice dresses (some formal, some more casual) and nice heels to go with them. I guess I have just never gotten what the big aversion is to complying with the code or dressing up for a nice event?

They don't need a required dress code. The suggestions are fine and all that is needed. We can decide ourself how to dress.

I had dinner the other night at a Ruth Chris' Steak House in Washington DC and it supposedly has a strict PM dresscode.. ya well... there was everything from Tux/Wedding party dress up to what belonged on the beach or pool.

I think its time to accept what's happening everywhere in the world and if you really want formal.. there are cruise ship lines which really focus on that... aren't there? e,g. Crystal, QEII

The Filipino button shirt can be quite dressy as someone mentioned and it is intended to be W/O TIE..

Enjoy.. aren't you on vacation :-)

Some of us like go on vacation with well dressed fellow pax. If we did not, then we'd all go to Applebee's in our shorts & flip flops & watch the fights at the bar!

What's the point of a guideline if pax don't adhere to it and no one says otherwise if they don't comply? You may as well not bother at all.

The point is to provide guidance. What vacationers decide to actually wear is up to them. That is as it should be. We are on a vacation that we paid for. We don't need nannys or cruise police or fashion police to make us comply to a dress code.

What's the point of a guideline if pax don't adhere to it and no one says otherwise if they don't comply? You may as well not bother at all.

The point is to respect your passengers and treat them like adults by letting them make their own decisions based on the guidance you supply.

The point is to provide guidance. What vacationers decide to actually wear is up to them. That is as it should be. We are on a vacation that we paid for. We don't need nannys or cruise police or fashion police to make us comply to a dress code.

The point is to respect your passengers and treat them like adults by letting them make their own decisions based on the guidance you supply.

As I stated previously, I don't care what anyone wears but I still can't see the point in bothering to even mention/print a guideline that is meaningless :confused:. It may rain this afternoon, there again it may not - pointless me typing the sentence. X may as well just say, wear what you want, anytime, any place, anywhere.

As I stated previously, I don't care what anyone wears but I still can't see the point in bothering to even mention/print a guideline that is meaningless :confused:. It may rain this afternoon, there again it may not - pointless me typing the sentence. X may as well just say, wear what you want, anytime, any place, anywhere.

The guidance is not meaningless. Most people do follow the guidelines. So they are not meaningless. From all reports and my own experience, they are effective, not pointless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk