Hubbard Glacier or Tracie Arm

woogie

Personally I loved Hubbard Glacier. On Grand Princess last summer we were amazed at how active it was - enormous chunks of ice cascading into the sea every few minutes. Never been to Tracy Arm so don't know if it's comparable. But I loved Hubbard! Loved all of Alaska, actually; it's a terrific cruise experience. So beautiful...

It depends on if you prefer fjord or glacier viewing. Tracy Arm is a day of fjord cruising with a brief glimpse of a glacier. On the other hand, Hubbard Glacier is a day spent sitting in front of the glacier. I find both to be really spectacular. If you can catch Hubbard when it's calving, it can be an amazing experience. But Tracy Arm is gorgeous when the weather is good. I have no preference for either as both experiences have been fabulous.

Michael

They are really two different experiences. If you want to see a glacier, do the Hubbard Glacier cruise. If you want to cruise up a fjord with the possibility of seeing a glacier and the possibility of not seeing one, do the Tracy Arm Fjord cruise. I've been to Tracy Arm twice and neither time did we make it all the way to the glacier. It's beautiful in the fjord, but you won't necessarily see the glacier. Hubbard Glacier, on the other hand, is a spectacular experience.

Or to see both Fjord and Glacier, take a Tracy Arm sailing this year (e.g. Solstice), as you will be diverted to Endicott Arm, as Tracy is still full of ice until now, where seeing Dawe's glacier sighting is guaranteed unlike Tracy Arm's Sawyer.

Hubbard Glacier is beautiful. Tracey's Arm pales in comparison. The only way to get close to the glacier in Tracey's Arm is to take a small boat excursion. We found the most beautiful parts of Alaska to be north of Juneau. I would recommend either starting or ending your cruise in Whittier or Seward.

I'll let you know and post pics next week for Tracy.

Too much ice this season to even enter it. Hoping by next week the ice will have diminished enough for us to get into it, taking the small boat tour also. We were looking forward to taking the narrow Fjord this time.

Hubbard is on a huge Bay so you can get up really close to it, spectacular! No problem with too much ice there. There is actually 2 glaciers at Hubbard. This pic was taken there:

24cw743.png