One Cabin Steward & No Turndown-Changes Coming!

STLCRUISIN

Just off the Silhouette this past weekend (August 20) and we were told by our cabin steward and his assistant (and verified by our waiter later in the cruise) that there were going to be changes on the Silhouette the next cruise, fleetwide by the end of the year.

1-There will only be one Steward assigned per cabin, not a Steward and assistant. They will now be assigned to 14 cabins each as opposed to the current 24 so it doesn't look like anyone will lose their job.

2-There will no longer be turndown service. Their new duty in the evening is to only provide two chocolates on the pillows...that is it.

3-They are removing those coverlets that go across the foot of the beds and are going back to providing the plastic covering on the bed at embarkation for luggage.

I don't care so much about number 3 but the others are part of sailing tradition in my mind and just another unfortunate, misguided cutback, if true.

Our guys were not happy at all because they feel they are, and rightly so, on the front line and will be the first to hear the negative impact of these continual cutbacks.

Our Steward also said it has already started on one other ship but we haven't heard any rumblings. Maybe someone else can verify what we've heard or has already experienced these changes.

So sad :(

As long as the cabin is clean, and they bring our ice, and leave the next days bulletin it may work out ok...they will have fewer cabins but but probably be on call more..

Guess the assistants will be promoted.. wonder if the attendants .will get upgraded tips or delete what was added for the assistants?

Time will tell ....

No biggie to me, I will request turn down whenever I feel it is necessary, already do. I have requested the steward to refrain from doing it everyday on many cruises, trying to lesson their angst and make their duty lighter.

I always spread our bed in the morning myself, can't stand untidiness and things not put away, etc. Always ship shape is my motto... So we are the exception as passengers go.

But I do like clean sheets every other evening and will request it. They will do it if you do.

As for chocolates, don't need them. If I want a treat, I'll order from room service...mmm...chocolate covered strawberries:D

A big part of the evening service for me has been getting fresh towels, as we use most of the towels during our pre-dinner shower/primping time. Will they no longer be offering that as well?

Same for us. Hope that they will at least take care of that. Our next cruise is on the Equinox this fall.

Maybe someone else can verify what we've heard or has already experienced these changes.

So sad :(

Do you do Facebook?

Ask Celebrity on there if it's true on every thread they start until they answer. You'll find they do sometimes reply when challenging questions are asked there.

I love having the cabin spiffed up at night and fresh towels put in the cabin. If they don't do that, that's just gross IMO. :( And this is "Modern Luxury"?!!! :mad:

Edited to add: I just posted on their FB page. Hope I get an answer.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

If their only specified in cabin task in the evening will be to put chocolates on your pillow I give it 6 months before that quietly disappears.

If true, no fresh towels will be the biggest disappointment, I guess we'll just have to ask for double every morning.

When we spoke to our cabin steward and his assistant they said the only direction they were given for turndown service in the evening was to provide the chocolates on the pillows and nothing else was to be done in the cabin.

On the last night of the cruise he was going to go over again the new procedures since they were to be implemented the following day.

That's why I'm curious as to what anyone else has heard or experienced. I don't care so much if the bed is turned down, although it's nice to come home to a fresh bed made up and not all wrinkled from the day. But not cleaning up the bathroom towels after we get ready from dinner is another thing.

On Millie in May/June Alaska - we only had the one Cabin Steward - no assistant. There was no turn down service but we did get fresh towels and the nasty chocolates that we throw away.

Thank you for verifying what you experienced. Hopefully, it seems towels will be replenished.

It still doesn't make me happy that Celebrity is continually cutting back on their product.

If true, this is really disappointing. One of the nice things about cruising was coming back to a fresh room after dinner.

I couldn't agree more! When we leave for dinner the bed needs straightening from my and/or DH's nap, towels need replacing from us getting ready for dinner.

If this change happens it could be the straw that broke the camels back for us. Have 6 cruises booked, one past final payment & 2 that the $ investment airfare, guides, Carnival tickets, etc., making cancelling not a option. But the remaining 3 could be moved to another cruises line with nothing lost.

I love having the cabin spiffed up at night and fresh towels put in the cabin. If they don't do that, that's just gross IMO. :( And this is "Modern Luxury"?!!! :mad:

Edited to add: I just posted on their FB page. Hope I get an answer.

We always get ready before dinner, so therefore in the evening our cabin is a mess. In the morning it's clean. I'd rather they clean my cabin when I go out for the evening geez............

This is very disappointing news.

We have been on RCCl and they don't have assistant cabin stewards, but still do turn down service and towel animals.

Disappointed to hear this, might be time to jump ship. We have been praising Celebrity to friends who have never cruised. They are joining us on the Silhouette in December in a RS. I feel bad that we encouraged them. While turn down service is not a necessity, when you are paying over $10k for 7 nights you have to wonder if the loyalty status is worth it.

Disappointed to hear this, might be time to jump ship. We have been praising Celebrity to friends who have never cruised. They are joining us on the Silhouette in December in a RS. I feel bad that we encouraged them. While turn down service is not a necessity, when you are paying over $10k for 7 nights you have to wonder if the loyalty status is worth it.

I'd be REALLY surprised if this change applied to suites. But who knows...

Edited by TexSea

Since gratuities now include two people, will they be adjusting that amount?

Bah humbug!

No because the cabin steward without an assistant is now doing the work for both - just for fewer cabins. If they removed the tips that were going to the assistant that would be a pay cut for the cabin steward who is doing the work formerly done by 2.

1-...They will now be assigned to 14 cabins each as opposed to the current 24 so it doesn't look like anyone will lose their job.

.....(

14 to start with and then maybe 15 and so on...

perhaps no one will lose their jobs, but maybe they will recruit less..

No because the cabin steward without an assistant is now doing the work for both - just for fewer cabins. If they removed the tips that were going to the assistant that would be a pay cut for the cabin steward who is doing the work formerly done by 2.

Not just for fewer cabins, no evening turndown = less work