Disembarking after a transatlantic

neverenoughtime

We're taking the Eclipse across this Fall. The ship first hits US waters in Boston where we all have to clear Customs/Immigration. Then it goes to NY, Bermuda and Nassau before we disembark in Miami. Will we have to clear Customs/Imm a second time in Miami? I'm asking because we're trying to catch a 10:00am flight out of MIA and I'm sure we can do it we self disembark at 7am. NOT sure we can do it if we have to go thru Customs a second time. We're seasoned cruisers and travel carryon only.

Does anyone have any experience with a second Customs check?

We're taking the Eclipse across this Fall. The ship first hits US waters in Boston where we all have to clear Customs/Immigration. Then it goes to NY, Bermuda and Nassau before we disembark in Miami. Will we have to clear Customs/Imm a second time in Miami? I'm asking because we're trying to catch a 10:00am flight out of MIA and I'm sure we can do it we self disembark at 7am. NOT sure we can do it if we have to go thru Customs a second time. We're seasoned cruisers and travel carryon only.

Does anyone have any experience with a second Customs check?

Yes, you will have to, again, clear immigration/Customs in Miami because your ship departed US waters after Boston. Personally, we would never book a 10am flight..although you should be OK if you self disembark. But, having been on several cruises where the US Authorities delayed clearing our ship (once until nearly 9:30) we prefer to book afternoon flights and having a relaxing last morning on the ship.

Hank

P.S. We have always envied those who can do a cruise with just carry-on. DW and I usually manage to keep it to about 3 checked bags (weighing nearly 150 pounds) plus 2 heavy carry-ons. And we are light packers :).

Since you are hitting non-us ports after clearing in boston more than likely.

I know when I last sailed on a ship hitting 2 US ports Key West and then Miami to end we cleared customs in Key West, but there was still a 2nd clearance - much faster in Miami

POM doesn't have Global Entry either, right? Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale was trying it out. With TSA Pre, carry on, and quick legs you'd still need to be airside by 9:15 for an 10:00 am flight if domestic boarding begins around 9:20-35 due MIA terminal size. You might have some wiggle room if your gate is guaranteed to be close to the entrance.

A pre-booked car service might help if you expect a long cab line. I'm sure frequent cruisers can gauge the estimate for a cab line and customs at 7 am better than this infrequent cruiser :)

Yes, you will have to, again, clear immigration/Customs in Miami because your ship departed US waters after Boston. Personally, we would never book a 10am flight..although you should be OK if you self disembark. But, having been on several cruises where the US Authorities delayed clearing our ship (once until nearly 9:30) we prefer to book afternoon flights and having a relaxing last morning on the ship.

Hank

P.S. We have always envied those who can do a cruise with just carry-on. DW and I usually manage to keep it to about 3 checked bags (weighing nearly 150 pounds) plus 2 heavy carry-ons. And we are light packers :).

If you take all that stuff, you are totally deluding yourselves if you think that you are light packers. What would you take if you were heavy packers?

DON

If you take all that stuff, you are totally deluding yourselves if you think that you are light packers. What would you take if you were heavy packers?

DON

Trust me,,,, you do not want to know :)