Tender times when overnighting in a port

salmn

We are on the Solstice next March. The ship overnights in Cairns. We are trying to do a tour to the GBR on the second day. Can anyone give me any information about how early they usually start running tenders when the ship overnights? It seems to me that when we have previously stayed in port overnight that they ran the tenders early, but it has bee a while and my memory isn't what it used to be, so need help on this. Thanks

We are on the Solstice next March. The ship overnights in Cairns. We are trying to do a tour to the GBR on the second day. Can anyone give me any information about how early they usually start running tenders when the ship overnights? It seems to me that when we have previously stayed in port overnight that they ran the tenders early, but it has bee a while and my memory isn't what it used to be, so need help on this. Thanks

During last sailing on the Silhouette, we had an overnight in Edinburgh. Tenders were scheduled to end at Midnight and resume at 7:00 am. However due to the long and slow tendering process, the last tender left the dock at 2:30 am to return all of the passengers that attended the Tattoo back to the ship. Some passengers waited about 1.5 to 2 hours for a tender. This was not a very good ending for many that were on a Celebrity Signature sailing to attend the Edinburgh Tattoo.

There are a couple of issues with Tendering at Yorkeys Knob (Cairns). It is not uncommon for Tendering to be suspended due to adverse weather. It is a common occurrence. The second issue is that one needs the bus shuttle to get into Cairns and I doubt very much if there will be a 24 hr bus service from Cairns to Yorkeys knob. There would not be enough passengers to justify this. I would guess that there will be a last bus from Cairns around midnight because there is nothing to do in town after that time and I would guess the bus service would commence again around breakfast. Its just a guess from my part based on tendering in Yorkeys knob in the past

This turned out to be NOTHING like what I thought it was about from reading the title. :D

I thought the OP was going to ask for some romance tips.:p

:D:D:D

I didn't notice that until I read your post.

• 3 months later...
There are a couple of issues with Tendering at Yorkeys Knob (Cairns). It is not uncommon for Tendering to be suspended due to adverse weather. It is a common occurrence. The second issue is that one needs the bus shuttle to get into Cairns and I doubt very much if there will be a 24 hr bus service from Cairns to Yorkeys knob. There would not be enough passengers to justify this. I would guess that there will be a last bus from Cairns around midnight because there is nothing to do in town after that time and I would guess the bus service would commence again around breakfast. Its just a guess from my part based on tendering in Yorkeys knob in the past

Hi Beanb41!

I am in the same situation, want to go for an early excursion in Cairns and wondering about tender and transportation.

I think it would be possible to use a taxi to get to Cairns (maybe prebooking it).

I can understand that weather has influence on this but question is: do they offer tender service throughout the night/at 6am or not?

I have never overnighted at a tender port so I can't answer with ultimate authority but I understand that tenders would operate all night as required. That said I would expect most people to be back on board early in the evening as there is not a lot to offer in Yorkeys Knob. You will need to confirm with the ship. Its an absolute waste of port visit in my view to anchor overnight at Yorkeys Knob

I would second the idea that this is one of those times where it really might be worth just doing Celebrity's excursion. Would certainly prefer that than trying to find a hotel to overnight on land. That way you would know that the tender will be running in time for your tour and if there are any weather issues that cancel the tenders you won't have to worry about a late cancellation with another vendor.

Edited by sanger727

Hi salmn! Good question! Looks like you're on the GBR (Great Barrier Reef) cruise too- should be a good one. Also, despite being an overnight stay, the arrival and departure times make it impossible to do a lot of the local tours independently (like reef tours)...