When is the best time for booking a 22 December Cruise (9 days) on Navigator OTS?

Hello folks!

We are planning to do our first RCCL Cruise in December this year. We already tried other companies (Costa, MSC, Holland, Princess...), but for this time we are going with RCCL.

So, we are arriving in Miami on December 21 aboard the MSC Seaside, so the "best" date was December 22 on the Navigator OTS from Miami, since our flight it's on December 31.

To be honest, i am not finding the fares too much attractives, especially since it's not a new ship and it's not even a New Year's Cruise (ok, it's Chistmas, but not New Year's).

I was looking for a Balcony Cabin for 3 adults and the fares were about 5-6K USD, but i am finding a little bit pricey since our 21 night crossing on MSC Seaside (Gran Suite Aurea with beverage included) it's about 7.5K USD. To be honest, the per day rate in this RCCL cruise is higher than in Holland America.

Are these fares "normal" for RCCL older ships? Or they are higher like these because it's too soon to book? Maybe some special fares on the nexts months or even in December?

I would really aprecciate some recomendations since i am not very into the RCCL price policy.

Thank you all very much!

PS: Sorry for my english! It's not very good i know :(

Royal's prices are unpredictable, there's no "best" or "better" time to book.

I'd book now and keep watching for price drops, which you can get if you are booking under US/Canadian rules, before final payment date.

I see you are from Brasil, so if you are not booking with a US travel agent, then I don't know if you will be able to get price drops before final payment.

The nine-day Navigator of the Seas cruise to the ABC islands seems to be a popular cruise due to the ports and being 9 days. Prices are going to be higher. We booked 6 outside balcony rooms in February of this year for next February 2018. Last week, another couple wanted to join our group and were told no outside balcony rooms were available for the February 2018 cruise. They are on a wait list. If you are planning a cruise on Navigator for December of this year, I'd book ASAP. Prices may be higher because there are fewer cabins available.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

The best time was when the itineraries first opened over a year ago. Prices have gone up since then.

Exactly right. I had that exact cruise priced on May 4th last year on the day that it was first posted for 2 inside cabins for 6 people total. The price was $7246 (all prices I list are in Canadian funds). I went back the next day and the price had increased about $500 to $7762. I booked it anyways. I continued monitoring the prices for the same cabins and they gradually rose to a high of $10430 on November 19. They dropped again ans it was sitting at $8482 on April 9th of this year (about $1200 more than on the day it was first offered).

As a side note, I had to cancel this cruise since my DW did not want to be away from home on Christmas Eve. No worries however since we found a New Year cruise on NCL for $2500 cheaper out of San Juan and it is for an extra day.

You can't compare MSC's prices with anybody else's in the U.S. They are constantly lower in order to establish a foot print here. They had a bad product when they first brought the Divina here, but have worked very hard IMHO to continue to improve. This set them back when people read the reviews, they backed off booking. Now, they are as good as any mass market line, again IMHO. Eventually their pricing will be the same.

Thank you all my friends!

All the replies were in the same direction: "with RCCL, the sooner, the better!". I called today for the TA to make our booking. Unfortunately i could not have book one year ago cause i was depending on other dates and the "infamous" milleage program to buy our plane tickets (just one month ago i could add the milleage to redeem a full ticket).

About the RCCL prices i noticed that the per/day rate is higher than Carnival (this one for sure), NCL, MSC, Princess and even Holland America. Sometimes the price are almost the same as Celebrity!

Well, probably i was wrong, but i thought that RCCL compete with Carnival, NCL, MSC and Costa, but at the end (at least by price), they compete with "upper" brands like HAL, Princess and Celebrity. I am very excited to see how good the experience on RCCL will be, especially this 9 day itinerary.

I noticed you don't like MSC, but don't be bad with them, they are really trying! We made a Divina cruise in the inaugural Caribbean season and was great, of course it's very different from other american cruise companies, but at least is an authentic italian experience, much more real than the one you see in Costa. This one, BTW, is almost like a "cantina" themed cruise, it's not italian at all. In 1996-1998, before the sell to Carnival it was authentic.

And at the end, i cannot use the "price drops" buying from Brazil. The system here is a little bit different; we see the current cruise value and, if you pay by credit card, you can divide the total ammount in 12 months. The cruise company receives the full value in the moment you complete the booking, but the credit card company will debit from you account 1/12 of the price per month.

Maybe you are thinking "why pay something in 12 months, it must have tons of interest in your credit card!". Well, if i pay just in cash the price will be exactly the same, the credit card companies have some kind of a deal with major companies and "force" you to buy in credit, but in longer periods. Of course there are interest in the middle, but they will not give me any kind of discount if i pay in cash. Well, at least i receive some miles to spend in the airlines!

Wow, now i now thinking that i wrote a lot! But that just because you all were gentle and helped me! Thank you very much! Just keep cruising! :D

FYI - last year, the Navigator did an 11 night sailing that included xmas and New Year. While prices were quite high before final payment, there were big price drops closer in 30-60 days out. The prices toward the end were in the $150pp per day range (for a balcony) - very reasonable for holidays.

I think the best time is when the cruises first go on sale. We have a cruise on Adventure around that time...we booked it more than a year ago.

That being said, I'd suggest you find a price you are happy with and hopefully you'll be able to get it.