Can help with Q for Oslo if someone needs it;)

So much depends on (1) how much advance planning you want to do map out where you want to do and which bus/train/tram stops you need to find and walk between, and (2) if you're comfortable doing a lot of walking. I just checked my Fitbit for that day and I walked 5 miles more than my normal daily avg of 5. Of course, much of that was at the venues themselves (the ski jump, the sculpture park, around museums), but there were quite a few 3-4 block walks to get to/from transit stops as well. Not saying it wasn't doable (we're 4 guys age 57-66), but it was still a pretty good workout for the day.

The ski jump was the biggest part of that though. The roads and paths around it are pretty steep walks, and there's a fair amount of walking involved. It was a little confusing figuring out which door to go in to take the elevator to the top, as there was a smaller shop that didn't open until 10am that we initially waited a few minutes to get in before realizing there's a bigger gift shop you go through for the elevator ride which was already open. You get tickets inside there and then there can be a pretty good line at the elevator. Ours wasn't too bad (maybe 25 minutes), but I suspect at peak times it could be much longer. Total time out of our day to take the train up and back and visit the ski jump was about 3 hours. I suppose you could take a taxi but it is a ways up there and the train takes you almost right to it (10 minute walk, albeit uphill). I would definitely use the train. That part worked pretty well for (despite our unlucky timing throughout the day to catch the next one). Plus the train ride is kind of pretty up and down the mountain. Part of the experience.

I didn't see a separate line at the Visitor Center just for picking up passes, and I don't really see any advantage to buying it online first if you have to pick it up there anyway. Once we got up to the counter, it was just a simple 1-minute purchase (I paid by credit card). Just be aware that there's manned counters by both entrances, and watch both sides. It's an "L" shape area with an outside entrance on one side and a mall entrance on the other (into the train station building, with lots of shops). You can find it from the inside but I'd recommend finding it from the outside, otherwise it's like blindly wandering a mall trying to find a specific store. If you walk to the train station building from the Opera House side as we did, don't go in that south entrance. Walk around the outside of the build (left side) and the Visitor Center is tucked in a little corner at the bottom of the 25 wide plaza steps. There are a few hotels in the area, and the website says many hotels sell the passes as well, so that might be an alternative if you just happen to walk by one. But if you're taking the train to the ski jump, you need to go to that train station anyway.

If you do as we did (go to the ski jump in the morning), on the return train you can get off at the Majorstuen stop, and walk 1/2 mile to the entrance to Vigeland sculpture park. That turned out to be better than I expected. After that we caught a tram to the Solli stop and hopped on the #30 bus to the museums (Viking Ship, Kon Tiki, Fram), and the ferry boat back to the ship area is right behind the Fram.

Even though the Viking Ship Museum is supposed to be the biggie, I might have actually skipped that one had I to do it all over again. It was OK, but not amazing, and it was by far the most crowded. Plus it's further from the Kon Tiki, Fram, and ferry that are all together at the bottom. You either have to get on/off the bus (and any delays that takes) or walk the 3/4 mile down to the bottom, making sure you walk the right road. If we did skip the Viking Ship Museum, I maght have just taken the tram from Vigeland back to the ship area and used the ferry back and forth to the Kon Tiki/Fram instead.

All of the above (the train to the ski jump, the tram, the #30 bus, and the ferry) are included on the Olso Pass. We did not use a HOHO bus. I'd have a plan all mapped out first though for where you want to go and how to get there. Or at least that's me anyway. I'm not one of those that can just "wing it" when we get there.

Hope that helps.

Our stay in Oslo will be an overnight on board our ship but the timeframe is not very good. I plan to buy the 24 hour Oslo Pass using the app so we can just activate it when ready to use and had intended to use bus #30 to go to the Folk Museum before it closes at 6pm. But now I wonder if the ferry would be faster? What do you suggest?

Thank you for all your help. We are arriving on the Navigator of the Seas on Sunday 4th June 017 with my dad who can only walk a short distance. We have a wheelchair which he reluctantly uses. I have printed off a previous reply on how to get to Vigelands Sculpture Park but wondered how far and roughly how much it would be to go to the Ice Bar if we took a taxi? I think I read that taxis like cash so wondering how much to exchange before coming?

I have checked where we dock and it says BAH - where is that, what does it stand for?

Thanks again! Christine.

Our stay in Oslo will be an overnight on board our ship but the timeframe is not very good. I plan to buy the 24 hour Oslo Pass using the app so we can just activate it when ready to use and had intended to use bus #30 to go to the Folk Museum before it closes at 6pm. But now I wonder if the ferry would be faster? What do you suggest?

If you're going to the Folk Museum, it's a full mile up the winding neighborhood road from the ferry dock at the bottom where the Fram and Kon Tiki Museums are (check it all out on Google Maps first if you haven't already). So unless you plan to walk that mile each way, you're going to need to catch the #30 anyway. For simplicity sake, you may just want to take the #30 from the ship area to get there. Coming back you could go either way (if the ferry runs that late - I never checked since our cruise was a daytime stop).

If you're buying the Oslo Pass and plan to go over to Bygdoy for the Folk Museum, it's kind of a shame not to pop into the 3 ship museums as well since they're all so close (and free with the pass). But of course it depends on your interests and the rest of your schedule too.

Thank you for all your help. We are arriving on the Navigator of the Seas on Sunday 4th June 017 with my dad who can only walk a short distance. We have a wheelchair which he reluctantly uses. I have printed off a previous reply on how to get to Vigelands Sculpture Park but wondered how far and roughly how much it would be to go to the Ice Bar if we took a taxi? I think I read that taxis like cash so wondering how much to exchange before coming?

I have checked where we dock and it says BAH - where is that, what does it stand for?

Thanks again! Christine.

This port schedule shows you're docked at SØNDRE AKERSHUSKAI MIDTEN...

http://www.oslohavn.no/en/?template=cruise_list_en

That's the same place we docked (and where most big ships dock when there's not another bigger ship in port). It's right next to Akershus Fortress. You can see the basic layout on the map on this page...

http://www.ohv.oslo.no/en/passengers/passenger_traffic/cruise/

Or if you look at it on Google Maps, it's right about where Solsiden Restaurant is at. In fact, it you pull up satellite view searching on that restaurant, you can see a ship that was in port when that satellite image was taken...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Solsiden+Restaurant/@59.9090623,10.7277408,1754m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x3e1e0b501471fd0a!8m2!3d59.9074493!4d10.7346363

Edited by dbsb3233

Thank you so much for all the information! We want to buy bus and trolley passes. I saw they were available at a 7-11behind city hall. Is this the closest place to the Askerhuskai pier to buy bus passes? If so, could you tell me what street it is on? Hanks.

Lora

Thank you so much for all the information! We want to buy bus and trolley passes. I saw they were available at a 7-11behind city hall. Is this the closest place to the Askerhuskai pier to buy bus passes? If so, could you tell me what street it is on? Hanks.

Lora

I really don't know if it's the closest place to buy them, but it looks like the 7-Eleven is on Fridtjof Nansens Plass (the circle street on the back side of City Hall. 9 minute walk from your ship. Here it is on Google Maps...

If you're going to the Folk Museum, it's a full mile up the winding neighborhood road from the ferry dock at the bottom where the Fram and Kon Tiki Museums are (check it all out on Google Maps first if you haven't already). So unless you plan to walk that mile each way, you're going to need to catch the #30 anyway. For simplicity sake, you may just want to take the #30 from the ship area to get there. Coming back you could go either way (if the ferry runs that late - I never checked since our cruise was a daytime stop).

If you're buying the Oslo Pass and plan to go over to Bygdoy for the Folk Museum, it's kind of a shame not to pop into the 3 ship museums as well since they're all so close (and free with the pass). But of course it depends on your interests and the rest of your schedule too.

Thanks for you information. It helps a lot! We hope to have time the next morning to return to Bygdoy and see the 3 ship museums, especially the Fram before the ship leaves at noon.

Thanks for you information. It helps a lot! We hope to have time the next morning to return to Bygdoy and see the 3 ship museums, especially the Fram before the ship leaves at noon.

Yeah, leaving at noon the next day doesn't give you much time at all that day. That's a shame. Just a few hours more and you probably could have done the whole Bygdoy sweep all in one day.

Not sure how much time you have the 1st day, but it sounds like that's tight too. If you can manage to squeeze an hour left after the Folk Museum, you could take the #30 bus the mile to the bottom of the road where the Fram, Kon Tiki, and ferry boat are all right there together, and return via ferry (although again, verify closing times for all 3 for the time of year you'll be there). Even if you don't care much about the Kon Tiki, you get to see an actual Oscar (Academy Award) on display, if you've never had the opportunity to see one in person.

Yeah, leaving at noon the next day doesn't give you much time at all that day. That's a shame. Just a few hours more and you probably could have done the whole Bygdoy sweep all in one day.

Not sure how much time you have the 1st day, but it sounds like that's tight too. If you can manage to squeeze an hour left after the Folk Museum, you could take the #30 bus the mile to the bottom of the road where the Fram, Kon Tiki, and ferry boat are all right there together, and return via ferry (although again, verify closing times for all 3 for the time of year you'll be there). Even if you don't care much about the Kon Tiki, you get to see an actual Oscar (Academy Award) on display, if you've never had the opportunity to see one in person.

We will just have to see how it all works out, since the ship doesn't dock until 4pm. The museums close at 6pm but the Fram and Kon Tiki open the next morning at 9 and 9:30 so we can go back. It would be cool to see a real Oscar close up.

Thankfully we have been to Oslo once before and visited Vigeland Park and the day before Oslo we will be in Haugensend where it looks like there is a Viking settlement.

Kaisatsu, thank you again and I am wondering if you can help answer my question, please.

If you were taking the train from Bergen to Oslo, which side of the train would you select for the best views? I've had a couple of different answers, and I do value your opinion. Have you done this train trip or are familiar with someone who has done it and can assist, please?

I personally prefer the south side of the Oslo-Bergen route, in order to see the glaciers near Finse. That would be the righthand side when traveling from Bergen to Oslo. There is nice scenery on both sides, but that would be my choice.

A few additional comments:

If you use the Oslo Pass app, you need to be able to connect to the internet once (each day, if you're in port overnight) to download the control codes for the transit system. The coffee shops around the city hall have WiFi if you need it.

Taxis handle most of their transactions by bank card. Of course they would take cash, but I wouldn't expect them to have much change. Since taxis are expensive (200+ NOK for a 10-minute trip), most people just pay by card.

A few additional comments:

If you use the Oslo Pass app, you need to be able to connect to the internet once (each day, if you're in port overnight) to download the control codes for the transit system. The coffee shops around the city hall have WiFi if you need it.

Taxis handle most of their transactions by bank card. Of course they would take cash, but I wouldn't expect them to have much change. Since taxis are expensive (200+ NOK for a 10-minute trip), most people just pay by card.

Oh thanks. I had not thought about having to download the codes both days on our overnight. Appreciate the heads up. On another note, are you familiar with Haugesund? We will be there the day before Oslo and I wonder where we should concentrate our time there. How do the Viking Farm and Nordvegen History Centre at Avaldsnes compare to the Folk Museum in Oslo?

Hi

We are visting Oslo on 3rd July, arriving on the Independence Of The Seas, although I do not know which port. As we have been to Oslo before we are not booking an organised excursion, but would particularly like to visit the Vigeland Park, which we missed last time. Can you advise how to get to the city centre, and where we might board a tram for the park (I believe its Tram 12)? After our visit, is there a convenient bus back to the city centre or do we have to return by tram? FInally, can we buy or tickets on the tram & bus, or do they have to be obtained before boarding?

Thanks in anticipation

Trevor & Susan Hall

I personally prefer the south side of the Oslo-Bergen route, in order to see the glaciers near Finse. That would be the righthand side when traveling from Bergen to Oslo. There is nice scenery on both sides, but that would be my choice.

Thanks so very much, Kaisatsu, really appreciate your help on the port of Oslo, etc.

It sure helps all of us to make the most of our time in Norway so we can enjoy our visit to the fullest extent.

Liz

Hi

We are visting Oslo on 3rd July, arriving on the Independence Of The Seas, although I do not know which port. As we have been to Oslo before we are not booking an organised excursion, but would particularly like to visit the Vigeland Park, which we missed last time. Can you advise how to get to the city centre, and where we might board a tram for the park (I believe its Tram 12)? After our visit, is there a convenient bus back to the city centre or do we have to return by tram? FInally, can we buy or tickets on the tram & bus, or do they have to be obtained before boarding?

Thanks in anticipation

Trevor & Susan Hall

Check the link I posted a few posts down with the port schedule. It shows you're at the Akershus pier that most big ships use. It's the most convenient, next to Akershus Fortress. On Google Maps, use the Solsiden Restaurant as the best navigation point for where your ship will be.

We didn't take the #12 all the way from Vigelang Park back to the ship, but it looks like it gets very close, to the Kontraskjæret stop. You can see it on Google Maps too (just a 6 minute walk from the ship). The #12 stops right at Vigeland Park entrance (although be prepared to walk about a mile inside the park).

Alternately, the next #12 stop is Aker Brygge in front of the Nobel Peace Center (which is also right where you'd pick up the ferry over to Bygdog for the ship museums).

I don't know about tickets. We got the Oslo Pass that covered all the transportation so I never checked on individual tickets.

:D(y)Thanks for all of the useful information!

We will be traveling to Oslo in mid-May with another couple. We are healthy and don't mind walking.

Could we walk from the cruise port (SAK) to Vigeland Park? According to Google Maps it seems to be about an hour away by foot via Frognerveien.

Could you recommend a route that would pass other tourist sites?

Thanks again :)

:D(y)Thanks for all of the useful information!

We will be traveling to Oslo in mid-May with another couple. We are healthy and don't mind walking.

Could we walk from the cruise port (SAK) to Vigeland Park? According to Google Maps it seems to be about an hour away by foot via Frognerveien.

Could you recommend a route that would pass other tourist sites?

Thanks again :)

We never made it over that way so I can't really say for sure. But if we did have time, were going to walk from the ship past City Hall, over to the Parliament building (Sortinget). Then from there walk the park/mall to the Royal Palace. That's about a half mile stretch from one end to the other with various museums, stores, etc. The National Museum is just a block off of that mall area, where "The Scream" is hanging.

Between the Royal Palace and Vigeland Park, though, I really can't say. Just looks like basic sides streets from what I see on Google Maps. Looks like it's about 1 mile walk from Royal Palace to Vigeland.

If after walking all that (plus about a mile in/out of Vigeland Park), if you get a little tired and want to just ride the #12 Tram back near the ship, I think you can buy tickets on the tram. Or they're cheaper at 7-Eleven (there's one next to City Hall). 8.7 NOK = US$1.

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=182075

If you carry a smartphone and use Google Maps (and don't have data available there), remember to DOWNLOAD OFFLINE AREA in the app before you leave. That will store that map area to your phone for 30 days, so you can use GPS to help you get around.

Edited by dbsb3233

Hello CC!

We are living in Oslo, Norway. So if someone has questions for Oslo and needs help whit planning feel free to ask. We ask you when we go somewhere new, so we can share from the homeport:cool:

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Hello Norway lady.

Greetings from Toronto.

Do you have any suggestions for a train tour into the interior of the country, please?

We are there Friday May 26 (is this a public holiday?), when the P&O Aurora docks from 09:00 to 22:00 (all in daylight).

So unfortunately, we are too late to board the 08:25 train towards Bergen, which would have been perfect.

The timetable shows a second train at 12:03. If we took it part of the way then pick up the train that leaves at 11:55, would this allow us to see some of the high country? What might be a good place to switch trains? It gets us back into Oslo at 19:13. This would give us time to enjoy your capital city both before and after the rail trip.

Perhaps there is another route we should consider, too?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

The tram 12 line is still under the final phases of some construction and may only be running to Aker Brygge and Kontraskjæret in one direction. It's expected to be back to normal in June, but check the signs at the stops. The closest stop on the alternate route would be Nationaltheatret.

Walking to Vigelands Park is completely possible. It's quite a ways (slightly uphill on the way there). I would recommend walking up to the royal palace, cutting across the palace park, and then from there walking up the central shopping streets Hegdehaugsveien and Bogstadveien, or finding a good map or GPS and wandering through the residential side streets. There's not much in the way of major sights, but it's an okay walk if you just want to see the everyday city.

Can you tell me how far it is from where the cruise ships dock to where we catch the ferry out to the Viking ship museum?

The Bygdøy ferry departs from Rådhusbrygge in front if the city hall. The distance depends on where your ship docks, since there are four piers commonly used for cruise ships:

http://oslohavn.no/admin/filestore/Cruiseliste/Forventedecruiseanlp10022017.pdf

Akershuskaia (SAK) & Vippetangen (VIP) are alongside the Akershus fortress, right in front of city hall. It's roughly 600m from Akershuskaia to Rådhusbrygge. Vippetangen is the slot farther out, so it's closer to 1000m.

Revierkaia (REV) is on the east side of the peninsula, so taking one of the cross streets would be around 1400m.

Filipstad (FIL) is to the west side near the Color Ferry terminal. It's not as straight a line, but the optimal route following the walking path along the E18 and then skirting around Aker Brygge is around 1500m.

• 1 month later...

We are thinking of using the Oslo Pass app and bypassing the purchase of the pass once we get there. Hopefully, any bugs found for the Apple app have been worked through in the past few years. Our question is on using the smartphone app ~ do the Metro, trams, buses and ferries have easy to locate control boards to read the bar code on our phones? Curious if these system are in place for local use as well, thus making it easier for the passes to be used.