Hamburg by train then Altona Terminal

We will be arriving by train from Amsterdam mid-day on a Saturday for a cruise that leaves Sunday. Would you recommend any hotel within walking distance of Altona cruise ship terminal? If so, what is the best way to get from the train station to the hotel near Altona cruise terminal?

Would we be better off staying within walking distance of the train station over-night and then making our way to the port in the morning? If so, which hotel would you recommend and then what type of transportation would you recommend to get to the terminal?

Thank you in advance :)

I think I may have answered my own question. It looks like I can take the same train from Amsterdam to Altona without having to connect in Hamburg Hbf. If this is the case it makes my transitions much easier. If I can go directly from Amsterdam to Altona (with one connection in Osnabruck) then we will stay in Altona (walk to hotel) and then walk to Altona cruise terminal.

Does this make sense? Could I consider another route?

You could also stay near the main station and take public transportation to Altona. More hotel options that way and probably a better choice of restaurants and sights for the night before the cruise. The next morning you could take the u-Bahn or s-Bahn a few stops to Landungsbrucken and then take the 62 ferry two stops directly to the Altona pier (Docklands). It's a very short walk between the s-Bahn and the ferry. All one ticket too, so just a few euros. Plus, it would be a fun approach as you would pass directly by your cruise ship on the ferry and get a good look at it from the water.

I've never done it but I understand the walk from Altona station to the pier is a little confusing because you walk around a large park. If you don't want to take the ferry but are set on walking, the Konigsrasse s-Bahn station might actually be a slightly easier walk. Not sure -- that's a question for a local. Cab would be easiest and really not too expensive from either Altona station or the main station.

You could also stay near the main station and take public transportation to Altona. More hotel options that way and probably a better choice of restaurants and sights for the night before the cruise. The next morning you could take the u-Bahn or s-Bahn a few stops to Landungsbrucken and then take the 62 ferry two stops directly to the Altona pier (Docklands). It's a very short walk between the s-Bahn and the ferry. All one ticket too, so just a few euros. Plus, it would be a fun approach as you would pass directly by your cruise ship on the ferry and get a good look at it from the water.

I've never done it but I understand the walk from Altona station to the pier is a little confusing because you walk around a large park. If you don't want to take the ferry but are set on walking, the Konigsrasse s-Bahn station might actually be a slightly easier walk. Not sure -- that's a question for a local. Cab would be easiest and really not too expensive from either Altona station or the main station.

This is very helpful, thank you. We already booked Clipper-Ebb which are executive apartments nearly adjacent to Altona Port. We will literally be able to watch the ship sail in and dock. I google walked the route from Altona station to the pier. It is all downhill (which is nice with luggage), but you are right, once you get to the park I can see where some might get confused. You have to cut through on the park walkways. The google walking guy is amazing for this stuff :). Thanks again.