North Sea Cruise in December - How is it?

Cruiser Bruiser

Hello, I've booked by first-ever P&O cruise. I'm going to several North Sea ports in December 2016, including Oslo, Copenhagen, Hamburg, an overnight in Amsterdam and Zeebrugge. I will be sailing solo in one of Aurora's Single Outside cabins, which should be fun.

While I am very excited about the cruise, I have had several reactions from friends and family that suggest I'm insane to cruise to southwest Scandinavia near Christmas-time. Besides the cold weather, it will be dark by about 15:30 most days. But the towns should be festively lit, and Aurora has an indoor pool. And my home of Portland, Oregon is relatively cold, wet and dark that time of year, too.

So, here's my question to all you seasoned P&O passengers: have you done a similar cruise? If so, how was it? My cruise isn't a proper Christmas cruise, but it is well into December. Does P&O decorate that time of year? Are the excursions that time of year geared toward night time? I appreciate any stories or advice you may care to share. Thanks. :)

I assume it is r621

We have sailed this time of the year a few times..must admit not northwards.

I think the North Sea has a mind of its own...can be nice, can be not nice any time of year.

Looking at the excursions on the website they are not geared to the evenings, but during the day.

The ship will probably be decorated as your cruise progresses , so that it is all done by the time the Christmas cruisers board.

The only port you will probably have problems with is Bruges...Ofcourse there are other reasons why you may not call at ports, but I think that is the only one that may be weather effected.

We have done Northern Europe cruises in December twice and loved both of them. In 2012 we went to Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Oslo, Bruges and Amsterdam, all of the town's had Christmas markets in place and there was a festive atmosphere everywhere, the seas were quite calm but we did have to stay in Amsterdam and Oslo overnight because fog made it impossible to leave the ports safely. In 2014 we went to Copenhagen, though the Kiel canal to Hamburg and Bruges again we had reasonable seas. The Christmas markets in Hamburg were absolutely wonderful and there were Christmas markets in Copenhagen and Bruges. On both ships, the decorations were put up during the cruise, I have to say that Adonia's decorations last year were much nicer than the ones on on Aurora in 2012. I would have no qualms about going north again in December though this year we are going to the Canary Islands, hopefully for a little Sun and warmth.

We have friends who come across from the US most years in December to visit the European Christmas markets. As it gets dark so early you will get to see the lights etc before you set sail. As others have said, the North sea is a bit unpredictable but I'd be prepared for some rough seas at that time of year

We have done the December trips a few times, in fact this year we are booked on Aurora's Christmas cruise with a similar itinerary to yours. I personally don't think the North sea is as bad as the Bay of Biscay. You don't get the swell, sometimes it can be windy but the ships tend to go nearer the coast as its such a busy shipping channel. I love the Christmas markets and the lights and they are all lovely ports to visit.

I'm sure you will have a great time, Aurora is a lovely ship too, my favorite P&O ship and she will almost certainly be decorated up. Good choice, just wrap up warm :)

I have done this or similar Christmas markets cruises about three times now and love them. You''ll probably only have the one or two sea days anyway and Scandinavia in winter and at Christmas is magical. Copenhagen - do the Tivoli Gardens at night if you can. Oslo has a small but delightful Christmas market near the harbour and City Hall and Hamburg has the best Christmas markets anywhere. The ships are usually already decorated for these cruises and sometimes you get local choirs on board to sing carols in their native languages. There is also a huge gingerbread village on each ship. At Copenhagen Santa Claus came one board and ran riot round the ship after which we had a firework send off.

254%252520Tivoli%252520Gardens%25252C%252520Copenhagen.jpg

155%252520Skating%252520in%252520Oslo%252520city%252520centre.jpg

I did a Christmas markets cruise in 2012 on Oriana. The most memorable thing about that cruise was the snow in every port. It was the first time I had seen a cruise ship covered in snow. We had a snow storm in Copenhagen but I still managed to see The Mermaid and local sights - just! It was treacherous under foot and I fell down a snow covered pot hole and had a glove blow away in the snow. I went on the evening tour to Tivoli Gardens which was pretty with all the Christmas lights, but I thought it a bit rundown, it was good for those people who wanted to go on the amusements and rides for an extra cost.

I remember swimming in the outside pool, having to dash to the warm water over the snow. The worst part was getting back. Luckily my cabin was one of the new cabins by the pool, built where the children’s area was pre the adults only conversion.

The ship was decked out Christmas decorations. The markets were festive if a little icy underfoot and expensive. I like Host Sharon liked Hamburg best

In conclusion it was good to “do” the Christmas markets cruise but once is enough for me. I prefer a warm weather cruise to be able to do outdoor swimming, deck sports and walking.

Photos are of Oriana's snow covered pool deck, The Little Mermaid and Oriana in snow storm.

002cc.jpg.5f966aad2be555813fb27ea403015475.jpg

015cc.jpg.315c8c66b9a0e977a4e0066a91d8f6f0.jpg

025cc.jpg.3196ade76e9afd02b657b813e32ce61f.jpg

I assume it is r621...I think the North Sea has a mind of its own...can be nice, can be not nice any time of year...The only port you will probably have problems with is Bruges...Ofcourse there are other reasons why you may not call at ports, but I think that is the only one that may be weather effected.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's R621. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that the North Sea is feeling hospitable. I take it that Bruges is a bit like Grand Cayman in that the weather frequently makes it difficult to visit? I guess it's good to know if advance that we might have to skip that port. Fortunately, I've been to Belgium, but I've never seen Bruges.

We have done Northern Europe cruises in December twice and loved both of them. In 2012 we went to Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Oslo, Bruges and Amsterdam, all of the town's had Christmas markets in place and there was a festive atmosphere everywhere, the seas were quite calm but we did have to stay in Amsterdam and Oslo overnight because fog made it impossible to leave the ports safely. In 2014 we went to Copenhagen, though the Kiel canal to Hamburg and Bruges again we had reasonable seas. The Christmas markets in Hamburg were absolutely wonderful and there were Christmas markets in Copenhagen and Bruges. On both ships, the decorations were put up during the cruise, I have to say that Adonia's decorations last year were much nicer than the ones on on Aurora in 2012. I would have no qualms about going north again in December though this year we are going to the Canary Islands, hopefully for a little Sun and warmth.

Exactly what I was hoping to read. Thanks for the reply, and I hope you have a lovely time in Las Canarias. They're on my to-do list, too. :)

We have friends who come across from the US most years in December to visit the European Christmas markets. As it gets dark so early you will get to see the lights etc before you set sail. As others have said, the North sea is a bit unpredictable but I'd be prepared for some rough seas at that time of year

Good to know the Christmas Markets are a done thing. Now I can reply to my doubting friends with a bit more confidence. ;) Cheers.

We have done the December trips a few times, in fact this year we are booked on Aurora's Christmas cruise with a similar itinerary to yours. I personally don't think the North sea is as bad as the Bay of Biscay. You don't get the swell, sometimes it can be windy but the ships tend to go nearer the coast as its such a busy shipping channel. I love the Christmas markets and the lights and they are all lovely ports to visit.

I'm sure you will have a great time, Aurora is a lovely ship too, my favorite P&O ship and she will almost certainly be decorated up. Good choice, just wrap up warm :)

Have a lovely time on your cruise. I've been on a couple rough-weather cruises, including one near the path of Hurricane Sandy, so I'm not to worried about heavy seas so long as were able to get where we need to go. And I'm glad to hear some good words about Aurora. She looks lovely. Cheers.

I have done this or similar Christmas markets cruises about three times now and love them. You''ll probably only have the one or two sea days anyway and Scandinavia in winter and at Christmas is magical. Copenhagen - do the Tivoli Gardens at night if you can. Oslo has a small but delightful Christmas market near the harbour and City Hall and Hamburg has the best Christmas markets anywhere. The ships are usually already decorated for these cruises and sometimes you get local choirs on board to sing carols in their native languages. There is also a huge gingerbread village on each ship. At Copenhagen Santa Claus came one board and ran riot round the ship after which we had a firework send off.

Thanks for posting your beautiful photos, and for your port tips! Choirs, Santa and fireworks all sound very exciting. I will keep my fingers crossed, and now I'm really keyed up for this cruise. Cheers.

I did a Christmas markets cruise in 2012 on Oriana. The most memorable thing about that cruise was the snow in every port. It was the first time I had seen a cruise ship covered in snow. We had a snow storm in Copenhagen but I still managed to see The Mermaid and local sights - just! It was treacherous under foot and I fell down a snow covered pot hole and had a glove blow away in the snow. I went on the evening tour to Tivoli Gardens which was pretty with all the Christmas lights, but I thought it a bit rundown, it was good for those people who wanted to go on the amusements and rides for an extra cost.

I remember swimming in the outside pool, having to dash to the warm water over the snow. The worst part was getting back. Luckily my cabin was one of the new cabins by the pool, built where the children’s area was pre the adults only conversion.

The ship was decked out Christmas decorations. The markets were festive if a little icy underfoot and expensive. I like Host Sharon liked Hamburg best

In conclusion it was good to “do” the Christmas markets cruise but once is enough for me. I prefer a warm weather cruise to be able to do outdoor swimming, deck sports and walking.

Photos are of Oriana's snow covered pool deck, The Little Mermaid and Oriana in snow storm.

Thanks for your post and the photos! I will have to bring some sturdy boots along with the hats, gloves, scarves, etc. I'm glad Aurora has an indoor pool, but if the outdoor pools are open, I may be tempted to use the hot tub if it is indeed hot. I've never seen snow on a cruise ship, so lots to anticipate. Thanks again. :)