Another Southampton Hotel question

Tina.w12

Hubby and I are sailing from Southampton for the first time next year, we live in Lancashire which is at least a 5 hour drive to Southampton. We don't want to leave travelling down until the day we sail in case of breakdowns/hold ups etc.

The problem is that we both have to work the day before sailing, so will not be able to travel down until the evening, which will make it around midnight when we arrive.

We don't want to pay a lot as it will just be a place to get our heads down, I have looked at the Premier Inn West Quay but the multi storey car park is not open that late.

Can anyone recommend anywhere where there is parking on site?

TIA

What do you intend to do about parking during the cruise?

I ask because if you want a "cheap" park and cruise deal, look no further than the Mercure Dolphin. The hotel is comfortable, albeit old, the staff are lovely and their cruise and parking packages are the cheapest near the port. The cars are not moved off site during your cruise and its only about 5/10 minutes in a taxi depending on which terminal you are going from. We have used them twice now and when compared with CPS, the hotel & taxi stay has cost us about £10 - £15! A no brainer in our book!

You will get cheaper and more modern hotels but the parking may be the problem. Some of them offer cruise parking packages but your car may well be taken off site. The Holiday Inn is also good but is usually quite a bit more expensive.

You don't need to stay in Southampton, there are Premier Inn etc hotels on the rout via the a 34. Shorter run on evening run and a leisurely drive on the sail morning.

We have done this often.

David

Thanks David, I'm struggling with the website to find them en route, can you recommend any?

Thanks

Tina

We live in Lincolnshire and always travel down the day before the cruise. We usually stay in a Premier Travel Inn or Holiday Inn Express, anywhere from Oxford to Southampton. Even from Oxford you are only a couple of hours away, which leave a good margin for possible delays. Always take a map with you, we had a road closure once, no diversion signs, and I had taken my map out of the car!

My son was once stuck on the M25 for 3 hours after an accident and missed his flight, but got one the next day, not so easy with a cruise!

Thanks David, I'm struggling with the website to find them en route, can you recommend any?

Thanks

Tina

If you do a search for Premier Inn map locations this will show a map with all available hotels in easy distance from the A34. Click on the hotel. Details will open up.

David.

There is one on the A34 at Tot Hill services. About 30 miles from Southampton.

Tot Hill services have a Travelodge with Little Chef and a McDonalds on the A34. Close to the A34 it is on the northbound side with easy access across from the southbound side.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

We live near Manchester and in September we stayed at the Holiday inn Eastleigh...35.00 per room ......lovely modern clean room...nice restaurant/pub for your evening meal and breakfast on site, parking on site and a 15 min drive to the docks in the morning...this was booked 6/7 months before when their saver rooms were released so you have to keep your eye on the price.

Hubby and I are sailing from Southampton for the first time next year, we live in Lancashire which is at least a 5 hour drive to Southampton. We don't want to leave travelling down until the day we sail in case of breakdowns/hold ups etc.

The problem is that we both have to work the day before sailing, so will not be able to travel down until the evening, which will make it around midnight when we arrive.

We don't want to pay a lot as it will just be a place to get our heads down, I have looked at the Premier Inn West Quay but the multi storey car park is not open that late.

Can anyone recommend anywhere where there is parking on site?

TIA

Hi Tina, its Len from the T*****n thread. We did are first P&O in January 2015 and did the free CPS parking and then stayed overnight in a Premier Inn. We used Southampton North at Nursling.

We left the Premier Inn at 12 noon, stopped off at the supermarket for a few bits and pieces, filled the car with petrol and proceeded slowly through the traffic and roadworks diversions to the dock. We arrived earlier than our appointed time but there was no problem.

We asked reception for a priority disembarkation , which meant we were one of the first to leave the ship, although you have to carry your own luggage.

The first few passengers off were searched by customs but we walked straight through, reported to CPS who told us where our car was and then it was foot down to get home to Salop.

It may not be the cheapest option but the car was safe and we wanted the speediest departure not wanting to go to a hotel by taxi or wait for a parking transfer.

We paid the Saver price at Premier in but after hearing some cruise dates were changed I would consider the Flexible price in future.

Len

Hi Tina, its Len from the T*****n thread. We did are first P&O in January 2015 and did the free CPS parking and then stayed overnight in a Premier Inn. We used Southampton North at Nursling.

We left the Premier Inn at 12 noon, stopped off at the supermarket for a few bits and pieces, filled the car with petrol and proceeded slowly through the traffic and roadworks diversions to the dock. We arrived earlier than our appointed time but there was no problem.

We asked reception for a priority disembarkation , which meant we were one of the first to leave the ship, although you have to carry your own luggage.

The first few passengers off were searched by customs but we walked straight through, reported to CPS who told us where our car was and then it was foot down to get home to Salop.

It may not be the cheapest option but the car was safe and we wanted the speediest departure not wanting to go to a hotel by taxi or wait for a parking transfer.

We paid the Saver price at Premier in but after hearing some cruise dates were changed I would consider the Flexible price in future.

Len

Thanks Len from the T******* site!!! We have free CPS parking as booked a select fare, There was only£100 difference between select and saver, and extra obc due to promotion and "free" parking there wasn't much in it, so booked select to confirm freedom dining. Having been with T********* so many years the thought of fixed dining scars me!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I once had to pickup my parents from Southampton, this was in the 90s. I travelled down from South Yorkshire after work. Just took a steady drive and when I was getting tired of driving I was going to get a bed a breakfast. No Sat Nav in those days. Well I just kept on going eventually I pull into one of those bed for the night places. It was just outside of Southampton. Next morning I headed for the docks. I've never seen it again. [emoji3]

Edited by zib_zib

What a shame you cant travel down the day before. We too travel from Lancashire and usually stay in the travel lodge in Winchester which is just off the motorway. It has a really good restaurant and its a lovely morning having a mooch around Winchester the morning of the cruise. Just bear in mind the traffic is unpredictable. Sometimes its a straight run through. Other times its horrendous.

What a shame you cant travel down the day before. We too travel from Lancashire and usually stay in the travel lodge in Winchester which is just off the motorway. It has a really good restaurant and its a lovely morning having a mooch around Winchester the morning of the cruise. Just bear in mind the traffic is unpredictable. Sometimes its a straight run through. Other times its horrendous.

Are you sure its a Travelodge we usually stay at Tot Hill didnt know there was one in Winchester.

Edited by majortom10

Hi Tina,

We travel down from Staffordshire to Southampton and the last few times have stopped at Banbury Premier Inn on the M40 J11.

It's large and clean and has free parking there's a Frankie and Bennie's and a carvery type pub next door if you don't fancy eating there.

We've always had great service there and it breaks up the journey nicely. Not too long travelling down and a short journey down to Southampton from there.

Breakfasts aren't great but functional but you can get take out coffee.

Thanks everyone I have booked Southampton Eastleigh travelodge, reviews are good, 9 miles from the port, plenty of parking and a harvester next door for breakfast. We will be having evening meal at a services on the way down

• 2 months later...
Thanks everyone I have booked Southampton Eastleigh travelodge, reviews are good, 9 miles from the port, plenty of parking and a harvester next door for breakfast. We will be having evening meal at a services on the way down

hello Tina, we hope you enjoyed your Havana tour with Havana Journeys. Had a great day but did not bump into anyone else on the same tour. The starting arrangements seemed haphazard but we all appeared to be taken care of. We hope you enjoyed the second weeks cruise.

We were told by a cabin neighbour of yours that you had booked a Northern Lights cruise. Putting 2 and 2 together and hopefully not getting the wrong answer I wondered if you were on a P&O Northern Lights cruise. We are on one in 2017 so were wondering if relevent you might be so kind as to give us some inside info.

Len & Jane

We use the Grand Harbour,really close to the cruise terminal and nice. Our view form the bedroom window on the morning of our cruise looked out to the ship we were sailing on. Friends of ours stayed at another cheaper hotel the same night and the view from their window was of a bus and a discarded takeaway on the pavement ha ha :eek:

hello Tina, we hope you enjoyed your Havana tour with Havana Journeys. Had a great day but did not bump into anyone else on the same tour. The starting arrangements seemed haphazard but we all appeared to be taken care of. We hope you enjoyed the second weeks cruise.

We were told by a cabin neighbour of yours that you had booked a Northern Lights cruise. Putting 2 and 2 together and hopefully not getting the wrong answer I wondered if you were on a P&O Northern Lights cruise. We are on one in 2017 so were wondering if relevent you might be so kind as to give us some inside info.

Len & Jane

Hi Len,

Yes we had a great time with Havana Journeys, one of the best trips we have done!!

Yes we are doing northern lights next year with P & 0. Going on 6th March 2017

Just started the research, looking at what clothing we need and excursions

They look a bit pricey but that's Norway

Maybe we should start a roll call

Tina

Hi Len,

Yes we had a great time with Havana Journeys, one of the best trips we have done!!

Yes we are doing northern lights next year with P & 0. Going on 6th March 2017

Just started the research, looking at what clothing we need and excursions

They look a bit pricey but that's Norway

Maybe we should start a roll call

Tina

Tina, what a coincidence:). Someone has already started a roll call. It's such a long way off. Maybe we can get some information from those going this year. We were wondering how much the P&O excursions cost.

Len & Jane