Explorer Grand Suite Booking Advice, as Regent has poor cabin info on their site

Dear Fellow Regent Friends,

My wife, my son (he'll be 14 months when we embark) and I are reserved to travel on the Explorer Oct 21st in the Med (Rome to Barcelona) for 14 days. We are debating on GS 1015 vs. GS 785? Would anyone have any insight into which cabin would be best, pros and cons. We liked the idea of 785 for the larger balcony but maybe it may be too noisy or better to have the larger suite interior?

We cruised on the Voyager and Mariner four times previously in GS and Voyager, and Mariner suites but have little info on the SS Explorer's suite 785 as there are no pictures or suite plans of that cabin (or 784) available online just suite 1015 (and 1012) which used to be an "Explorer Suite" until Regent changed the name.

I've called RSSC for help and they don't seem to have the info readily available either. I've been waiting several days for them to get back to me. Pretty strange if you asked me. Ever bought a car sight unseen? You'd think if they were selling something so expensive they'd have some sort of photos and room layout.

Thanks so much for your advice and assistance in advance,clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

David Berger, Dr. Caterina Oneto and Lorenzo

davidericberger@yahoo.com

With Regent changing the suite names, it does make things confusing. The original Explorer Suites were in a very poor position. Rather than getting bogged down with details I would avoid anything on Deck 10 as it is under the pool deck and most suites will have noise. IMO, there is no choice - I would book 785!

We were in 787; next door to 785. It is 200 steps from door of 785 to forward elevator lobby which you will use to get to elevator to Deck 4 for Compass Rose. There were also issues with banging when we had following seas. They went into 785 and cut a big hole in the wall to see if there was some issue with the bulkhead. Nothing was found but they left the hole covered by a picture in order to follow up (may be fixed by now).

I would be careful of Grand Suite on Deck 12. When i was discussing with Jason the easy adaptation to allow outdoor wings to get open air pictures from Observation Lounge on Deck 11; he said there was no winning; someone in Deck 12 Grand Suite had just been complaining about how windy it was on balcony making it unusable.

Marc

SohoCruiserX , since the last poster. brought up a suite that you weren't inquiring about, I'd like to add my comment since we were in suite 1200 which is an original Grand Suite. Forward balconies are typically unusable due to the wind and suite 1200 was not exception. While I cannot speak directly to suite 785, we were above it in Master Suite 879 and enjoyed the location very much. Certainly there are noises and different "feelings" from the waves than mid-ship but I would prefer an aft suite over being under the pool deck.

I believe we were in 785. We were in a Grand Suite, and I did not like the suite, but I thought it was in a wonderful location. The balcony is to die for. It is much smoother when you are on the bow or the stern if you are not up high.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Jackie's (TravelCat's) post above we have moved from 1201 to an Explorer Suite - 1005 - which is not under the Pool Deck but under the Culinary Centre. I have asked though for a W/L for 784/785 (grand suites) if possible... Any comments??

Thanks to Jackie's (TravelCat's) post above we have moved from 1201 to an Explorer Suite - 1005 - which is not under the Pool Deck but under the Culinary Centre. I have asked though for a W/L for 784/785 (grand suites) if possible... Any comments??

I think that was a good move!

There was an Explorer review a few months ago noting that, although they liked the Explorer, the only serious negative on the cruise was the noise they heard in 1005 from the Culinary Center. They heard almost daily noise from above between 7 am and 11 pm. (http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=568353) 1005 also connects with 1007 which might be another source of external noise.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
We were in 787; next door to 785. It is 200 steps from door of 785 to forward elevator lobby which you will use to get to elevator to Deck 4 for Compass Rose. There were also issues with banging when we had following seas. They went into 785 and cut a big hole in the wall to see if there was some issue with the bulkhead. Nothing was found but they left the hole covered by a picture in order to follow up (may be fixed by now).

I would be careful of Grand Suite on Deck 12. When i was discussing with Jason the easy adaptation to allow outdoor wings to get open air pictures from Observation Lounge on Deck 11; he said there was no winning; someone in Deck 12 Grand Suite had just been complaining about how windy it was on balcony making it unusable.

Marc

Yes we are in the same "suite" 787 as of 9/29/17 and same noise, it is always like the sound you would expect if you hit a steel medium sized fishing boat, always in two bangs about 2 seconds apart and happens maybe 5 times a night in heavy seas. It will definitely wake you from a sound sleep. First time you hear it you will fear for your life. Of course the staff swears they know nothing about it. Avoid this cabin and all those around it.

Yes we are in the same "suite" 787 as of 9/29/17 and same noise, it is always like the sound you would expect if you hit a steel medium sized fishing boat, always in two bangs about 2 seconds apart and happens maybe 5 times a night in heavy seas. It will definitely wake you from a sound sleep. First time you hear it you will fear for your life. Of course the staff swears they know nothing about it. Avoid this cabin and all those around it.

So, you are on the Explorer (I'm jealous ;p). If you have time, we would love if you started a thread describing the experiences you are having - both on the ship and onshore.

I do recommend you mentioning the noise that you are hearing on your mid-cruise and final comment cards. These cards go to corporate and they will be interested in what you have to say.

Question on Grand Suites on Explorer. 1012 or 1201?

We were next door to 1201 (1200) last November. It is a beautiful suite but the sound from the Observation Lounge below was an issue. Regent did put in more soundproofing but I'm not sure if that worked. Also, while the deck is huge and beautiful, when the ship is in motion, it is unusable (unless you go over to the side). Most of the time during our transatlantic cruise, the furniture was tied down.

I am fairly certain that 1012 was built as a Seven Seas Suite and changed to a Grand Suite. So when the suite sizes shown on Regent's website is listed as being from 854 sq. - 1013 sq. ft., it would be 854 square feet. More importantly, the range of the balcony is from 277 - 916 and this suite would like be 277 sq. ft.

The only "original" Grand Suites are all the way forward or aft.

Having said that, based on the deck plan on Regent's website, it does not appear that there is anything underneath that area. However, I would have my TA (not Regent*) verify this.

*The reason I stated "not Regent" is because they want to sell all of their suites and may not be as forthcoming as to issues with a particular suite.

1012 was originally an Explorer Suite, and on top of it is the pool area and all of its deck chairs.

Thanks for clarifying that. I continually get confused in terms of what used to be vs. what it is now. The balconies are quite a bit smaller in those suites.

When I looked at the deck plan I also didn't realize that it was where the deck chairs are on the pool deck. Based on this information, I would pick 1201 and hope the noise from the Observation Lounge has been corrected.

After a lot of discussion we decided to go for 784 and have re-scheduled our LAX/MIA cruise by a year to be sure to get it. Which we have- for 2020. Hopefully (a) we will be still alive by then and (b) enjoy the suite and the cruise !! Patience, it seems, is a virtue at least in this case. So meantime anyone with info on 784/785 please post!

After a lot of discussion we decided to go for 784 and have re-scheduled our LAX/MIA cruise by a year to be sure to get it. Which we have- for 2020. Hopefully (a) we will be still alive by then and (b) enjoy the suite and the cruise !! Patience, it seems, is a virtue at least in this case. So meantime anyone with info on 784/785 please post!

That is so funny. We were booked on the 2019 cruise with you. We switched to 2020 because we just booked Singapore to Dubai for 2019. See you on the 2020 LAX-MIA roll call. Will you start it or shall I?

That is so funny. We were booked on the 2019 cruise with you. We switched to 2020 because we just booked Singapore to Dubai for 2019. See you on the 2020 LAX-MIA roll call. Will you start it or shall I?

Actually we are on the cruise before the LAX/MIA one... we sail 2 March 2020 from Miami. I looked at the dates and realised that my garden would not get the attention it needs in late March if we were cruising AND that there is an identical cruise on Explorer going the other direction that starts 16 days earlier. So there we are! Sorry we won't meet... but still would be really happy to get first hand impressions of Grand Suite 784 !