Regent Tours

Can any one tell us (Travelcat2 most likely) about Regent Choice & Exclusive Cooking Class tours? Are they better than the free ones, less people on a tour or what ever is different about them.

We're not big tour people because of the size of the group on most tours. In some areas we'll hire a ptv car for a 1/2 day to see what we want. Thanks,

Rick

While I hope that you receive more responses than just from me, there aren't too many of us that have been able to take advantage of these excursions since they are only offered on Explorer and only on some itineraries. We have done three different culinary excursions. The excursions start out in the Culinary Kitchen with the Chef who accompanies the group (around 16 people). She explains what you will be doing and then you are off on your adventure.

Our favorite excursion was in Rhodes, Greece where we walked to a local restaurant and spent the morning preparing food (to the extent that you want to - you can sit and watch). You can taste different ingredients and are given samples while you "work". While you are preparing food, we were drinking Ouzo. Following the food preparation, we were given a tour of the kitchen and then we all sat down for a lunch consisting of items we prepared (the food we were served was prepared by their cooks - not us:-) More wine and Ouzo flowed. It was a wonderful time.

The second excursion was different. It took place in Barcelona where we took transportation to La Boqueria Market (not sure if you have been there). It is probably the most interesting and unusual market that we have seen. We had time to walk around before moving to the next market where we did olive oil tasting. Finally, we went to a 2 star Michelin restaurant where we dined on "interesting" food (molecular gastronomy was used in the preparation) and had fine wine to go with it.

Last was our excursion in Madeira (Funchal). Again, there was some food preparation for those interested in putting meat on skewers or working on the bread after which we sat down for a lovely feast with plenty of wine.

I know that these are pricey excursions but are well worth it (IMO). Remember that you can book and pay for the excursion 240 days prior to embarkation and, once onboard the ship, can use on board credits for the excursion and get a cash refund for what you paid for the excursion (they do not refund to your credit card).

Hope that wasn't too much information!

Thanks, good information. We did it on "O" once and cost a lot more on them than Regent. And it sounds better than the ones we did on "O". What about the other tours you pay extra for, are they better, with less people?

Thanks again for your help.

Rick

We actually did the Rhodes tour when we were on the Riviera and repeated it on the Explorer (yes - it was a lot more money on Oceania).

Other "Regent Choice" excursions are variable and could have quite a few people. In general, they are better than included excursions. We tend to go for excursions that include lunch in order to get a taste of local food. Interestingly, the tour we took a couple of weeks ago in Funchal was "included" and we are so happy that we did it since it gave us the opportunity to try Black Scabbard fish. It is also interesting that there were no "Regent Choice" excursions offered on our cruise.

In a way, Regent excursions are a crap shoot. If given the choice, we would likely opt out of excursions in most areas of the world and do our own thing. In remote places we're happy to have the excursions.

There should be more input regarding Regent Choice excursions since most people have tried them.

I've loved almost every Regent Choice Excursion I've been on. Generally smaller groups and longer tour allowing to you see much more. Cost can some times be annoying when they put a value on it and you can go to the website and that on your own would be less expensive (see Railway in Skagway for example).

There is almost always an option to hire a car, guide and driver to go/see exactly what you want.

I've loved almost every Regent Choice Excursion I've been on. Generally smaller groups and longer tour allowing to you see much more. Cost can some times be annoying when they put a value on it and you can go to the website and that on your own would be less expensive (see Railway in Skagway for example).

There is almost always an option to hire a car, guide and driver to go/see exactly what you want.

Thanks, kind of wish Regent didn't offer tours---we like to hire a car and do it our self's. But wanted to hear from others because I feel like your paying for the tour with the cruise so you should us it--but on the other hand I really want to do what I want and come back to the ship when I want. It's always worked that way-but Regent is new to us.

• 2 weeks later...

I was rather annoyed/ disappointed to find that the 'All inclusive' cruise I booked that allegedly included excursions still charged for certain 'Regent Choice' excursions. The one excursion we really were/are looking forward to is whale watching etc in Greenland. When I noticed the above being Regent Choice I was rather disappointed as this cruise isn't cheap.

As an aside I agree with others and hate large tour groups. I used Rome in Limo in both Florence and Rome sharing a Mercedes minivan with 4 other people - better and cheaper after sharing the costs. To me planning your excursions is half the fun (but make sure you get back to the ship before she sails LOL)

We have had pretty good luck with the Regent Choice excursions. On our recent longer cruise in SA, we had a nice OBC, so we used that to roll over our paid excursions so the OBC covered them. As always, the odd excursion turns out to be a dud no matter what you paid, but for the most part, we have found that it's worth the extra money for the added value.

I was rather annoyed/ disappointed to find that the 'All inclusive' cruise I booked that allegedly included excursions still charged for certain 'Regent Choice' excursions. The one excursion we really were/are looking forward to is whale watching etc in Greenland. When I noticed the above being Regent Choice I was rather disappointed as this cruise isn't cheap.

As an aside I agree with others and hate large tour groups. I used Rome in Limo in both Florence and Rome sharing a Mercedes minivan with 4 other people - better and cheaper after sharing the costs. To me planning your excursions is half the fun (but make sure you get back to the ship before she sails LOL)

For the reasons that you mentioned, we do not care for most included Regent excursions (crowds, multiple buses going to the same places, etc.) We have enjoyed most Regent Choice excursions. However, despite paying for included excursions in our cruise fare, we have already booked a private tour for our Amazon cruise in November (and passengers on Roll Call for May, 2017's Amazon cruise have filled up private excursions at two ports and has a third listed with a couple of Regent passengers. For many repeat Regent cruisers, the "free" excursions have not only lost their luster, people are avoiding them.

For many repeat Regent cruisers, the "free" excursions have not only lost their luster, people are avoiding them.

We respect your personal opinion, but strongly disagree with your sweeping concluding statement

We still enjoy many of the Regent FUSE offerings. Yes there are some not-so-good, but in many ports of call around the world they are more than acceptable

I have read comments on these boards for years, but people really seem to be very picky now.

I've said this before, but I think a big factor is WHY people cruise. Some folks are there for the ship. Some folks (including my DH and I) are there for the places the ship takes you too and want to do it in comfort.

We only have the ability to do one big trip a year (time and money restriction). Due to lack of time, we're never going to be the couple who does 3-4 cruises a year (even if we went mainstream). Due to lack of money, we're never going to be a couple who does 2 Regent (or other luxury line cruises or land trips). One trip a year, that's it for us. That means with so much to see in the world and so little time, its unlikely we're ever coming back to any given port.

So if it's critical to either of us to see X, Y, AND Z in the limited time in port, then yes, I'm going to be picky. I'm not going to book us for an excursion that lets us see X&R or one to see Y&Z -- I want an excursion that does X, Y, and Z. AND even if there is an excursion that does X, Y, and Z -- Neither of us like or want to do it on a bus with 40+ of our new friends. That means, I'll get an excursion that gets us what we want to see be it private or choice. And I'm extremely grateful that I have the ability to do that. Further to date, the costs of private and choice excursions has never ended up being a high percentage of the overall cost of the trip (except in South Africa when we did an adventure ashore).

Hope that helps.

-Indi

I've said this before, but I think a big factor is WHY people cruise. Some folks are there for the ship. Some folks (including my DH and I) are there for the places the ship takes you too and want to do it in comfort.

We only have the ability to do one big trip a year (time and money restriction). Due to lack of time, we're never going to be the couple who does 3-4 cruises a year (even if we went mainstream). Due to lack of money, we're never going to be a couple who does 2 Regent (or other luxury line cruises or land trips). One trip a year, that's it for us. That means with so much to see in the world and so little time, its unlikely we're ever coming back to any given port.

So if it's critical to either of us to see X, Y, AND Z in the limited time in port, then yes, I'm going to be picky. I'm not going to book us for an excursion that lets us see X&R or one to see Y&Z -- I want an excursion that does X, Y, and Z. AND even if there is an excursion that does X, Y, and Z -- Neither of us like or want to do it on a bus with 40+ of our new friends. That means, I'll get an excursion that gets us what we want to see be it private or choice. And I'm extremely grateful that I have the ability to do that. Further to date, the costs of private and choice excursions has never ended up being a high percentage of the overall cost of the trip (except in South Africa when we did an adventure ashore).

Hope that helps.

-Indi

Pains me to agree with a Redskins fan but good post.

IndiTravler - Agree with you as well! There are some places in the world where I find it better to use Regent excursions but it does, as you stated, depend upon why you are cruising. Having been fortunate enough to travel internationally since the mid-80's and cruising since 2004, we now are going to many ports which are repeats for us. Still, there are some ports where we will continue to use Regent excursions (mostly Regent Choice excursions but sometimes the free ones). In many ports, we prefer to walk or take local transportation to places that we want to visit. We enjoy trying local food and walking through shops that locals use rather than going to tourist places.

I haven't seen Bill on this thread (another regular poster on CC), but found it interesting that even he is not as enthralled with Regent excursions as he once once. It also seems that there are huge differences between the number of people on excursions. While we experienced around 25 people on buses on our last cruise (we took two Regent "free" excursions as Regent Choice excursions were not offered and the places we visited were quite far away). On the cruise following ours, some excursions had full buses which would not be acceptable to us at all.

Perhaps we need to also look at where people live and what their experience with crowded modes of transportation is. Being raised in L.A. where one would not think about getting onto a bus, our tolerance for that mode of transportation is pretty low. I suspect that people in cities where mass transit is how most people get around would not be bothered by buses as much.

On Regent, I find myself patiently waiting for people with disabilities to get on the bus (don't mind waiting at all) but get frustrated when the same people hold up everyone on the bus to get off. I find a lot of rudeness from passengers on the bus. If that isn't enough to put you off, the restroom stops often has multiple buses stopping at at the same place - many times with only one or two stalls.

A word about Regent Choice excursions. I was just doing research on a Regent Choice excursion that Regent is offering in the Amazon next month but not in November. On Regent (the excursion offered next month) the cost is $159/person. The "going rate" on the web for identical excursion is $90/person. Sometimes it is worth checking out excursions that you are really interested in doing on the web!

IndiTravler - Agree with you as well! There are some places in the world where I find it better to use Regent excursions but it does, as you stated, depend upon why you are cruising. Having been fortunate enough to travel internationally since the mid-80's and cruising since 2004, we now are going to many ports which are repeats for us.

Sweeeettt.... We've only been traveling internationally since about 2005, no repeats for us yet.

While we experienced around 25 people on buses on our last cruise (we took two Regent "free" excursions as Regent Choice excursions were not offered and the places we visited were quite far away). On the cruise following ours, some excursions had full buses which would not be acceptable to us at all.

Perhaps we need to also look at where people live and what their experience with crowded modes of transportation is. Being raised in L.A. where one would not think about getting onto a bus, our tolerance for that mode of transportation is pretty low. I suspect that people in cities where mass transit is how most people get around would not be bothered by buses as much.

On Regent, I find myself patiently waiting for people with disabilities to get on the bus (don't mind waiting at all) but get frustrated when the same people hold up everyone on the bus to get off. I find a lot of rudeness from passengers on the bus. If that isn't enough to put you off, the restroom stops often has multiple buses stopping at at the same place - many times with only one or two stalls.

Interestingly, you're middle point is my problem -- here in DC I use mass transit a lot... Bus, rail, subway, taxi, what ever gets ME out of driving/parking in DC traffic is a fine mode of transportation. BUT..... I hate being packed in and the time to load/off-load people That's where my distaste for the full buses of 40+ new friends comes from. On a mainstream line, sure, fine, give us coach class excursion transportation with our 50+ new friends. On a LUXURY line, spread us out, let us get comfy -- and reduce the load/off-load times so we can go see the sights. And I'll be much more interested in taking the "free" excursions.

A word about Regent Choice excursions. I was just doing research on a Regent Choice excursion that Regent is offering in the Amazon next month but not in November. On Regent (the excursion offered next month) the cost is $159/person. The "going rate" on the web for identical excursion is $90/person. Sometimes it is worth checking out excursions that you are really interested in doing on the web!

Which one was that?

Love how you do multiple quotes. Just noticed that you are doing the Amazon next month. I was reading your Roll Call yesterday. The excursion that I was checking out today was the catamaran with snorkeling and lunch in Barbados. As I posted, this is not offered in November so I was looking for one online and found several. While not private excursions, they sound quite good. There will be two other ships in port with us so I need to make sure that there will not be too many people on the boat.

In terms of our international travel in the 80's and 90's, my DH had a million frequent flyer miles when it meant something. We started out by going around the world for only 125,000 thousand miles total (business class on Qantas and TWA). This was one of many great trips when our airfare was free and many hotels were half price. Anyway, we obviously love Regent and cruising.

Really looking forward to reading about your adventures on your cruise next month (actually on the west coast it will be next month in a little over an hour)

So OBC can be used for a cash reimbursement of any Regent Choice excursion? I did not know this. lol-Now I'm really upset that I booked directly through Regent!

Sorry that you did to book through a TA that is familiar with luxury cruising (specifically Regent). Many Regent TA's also give a percentage of your cruise fare back to you in cash in addition to OBC's. Suggest that you find a TA so that when you are onboard the ship you can make a booking (if you don't know which cruise to book - book anything as it is transferable one time), In addition to the TA benefits, you will receive a credit for booking onboard. You will also have 30 days to cancel without penalty and almost forgot...... you receive $100 OBC while onboard to use on your current cruise and will have a price guarantee - just in case the fares go down!

So many reasons to read CC!

P.S. Bil, thanks for my daily chuckle!

So OBC can be used for a cash reimbursement of any Regent Choice excursion? I did not know this. lol-Now I'm really upset that I booked directly through Regent!

Regarding this, we are taking our first ocean cruise to Alaska in June. We booked through a TA and have an OBC. How do I go about using my OBC to pay for my pre-booked Regent Choice excursions?

In previous threads I have read that it is necessary to cancel and rebook, with the risk of falling into the wait list. In more recent threads there was talk of simply transferring the excursion to the OBC and taking the cash.

What is the procedure currently?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In November we went to Destination Services and said that we wanted to pay for the excursion with our OBC's. It was no problem other than having to take the refund in cash. They cannot put it back on your credit card.

On May 10, I can start to book tours for our cruise. However the tours aren't quite available yet, so I called Regent and they said they should be there a couple of days before May 10. Is that normal? I don't remember the window being quite so "tight" the last time we cruised.