Explorer review by a first time cruiser

I wanted to give some thoughts on the Explorer from someone who while relatively well travelled was literally a first time cruiser when they boarded the Explorer. For content we cruised from Rome to Lisbon, April 2017 (11 nights).

As a first time cruiser I was undoubtedly anxious whether the experience would be right for us (mid 40s couple).

First impressions of the boarding process and the ship were overwhelmingly positive. While the design of the ship is absolutely not how I would choose to decorate my own home its hard to deny its memorable, spectacular and luxurious. We had a midship concierge suite and its hard to imagine you would want more except perhaps on a longer journey. The detailing and the thought that has gone into the suites and the public areas of the ship is really very impressive. My only criticism of the cabins are the often identified need for a nightlight in the bathroom and for me, a more comfortable sofa. For me the cabin and the overall aesthetic of the ship was very much the 'floating five star hotel' I was after.

Service in general was good to excellent. Food again was good to excellent. The quality of the food was impressive. My least favourite destination was Chartreuse by significant margin. As I had anticipated the food on board was best when kept relatively simple e.g. Prime 7 and failed only when it overreached which was certainly my experience of Chartreuse. From a design of Pacific Rim was my favourite restaurant but the food for me was far too Western and the flavours lacked punch or were just wrong by design e.g. the sushi dish. My concern prior to the cruise was that the food would be a bit like an endless wedding dinner at a nice hotel, pleasant, just warm but but never good. By and large that concern was proven wrong. What I would do next time is a book a really good restaurant in most of the ports (which I did a few times on this trip) to provide a change from the shipboard options.

Now to some areas of entertainment, I had really looked forward to the performances in the theatre. With the exception of the magician and the large production show I found it pretty average and frankly lazy in approach. Definitely a shame as its a great theatre with the equipment and the resources to do great shows every night. Again hugely looked forward to the Smithsonian lectures as part of the on-board experience. The lecturer was terrific but there just weren't enough of them. I had perhaps naively thought there would be a lecture at least once a day. Missed opportunity for me. It would have been great if there were some "introduction to" courses e.g. bridge for those like me who want to learn but never have time except when on holiday.

So if I look at the whole Explorer experience as a first time cruiser, did it meet my expectations? In summary yes it did. In some areas e.g. the cabin it well exceeded my hopes. In areas such as entertainment, a missed opportunity. The real and powerful magic for me of the cruise experience is arriving at a new location e.g. day without the aggravation of airports etc. A revelation. For me, that alone is probably enough to make me return to cruising.

Would I return to the Explorer, yes but I will look at the ships/lines. I'm not sure any aspect of my experience on the Explorer gave me sufficient 'wow' to say that I would only ever sail or the Explorer or Regent as much as I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Please don't hear this as criticism I guess I just don't have any points of comparison.

Would I return to Regent is an interesting question as the benefits in the loyalty program are insufficient to make me feel like I really must return to Regent in order to achieve status points. Again seems to me to be a missed opportunity for Regent. I would be tempted to try one of the other luxury lines next time e.g., Crystal.

My genuine thanks to everyone who patiently answered my first time cruiser questions in the lead up to our holiday.

Happy to answer questions or comments.

Thank you for taking time to write your review. It's always interesting to read the thoughts of a first-timer, whether it's a first time on a specific cruise line or new to cruising itself. I haven't yet cruised with Regent so I enjoy reading all perspectives - balanced ones at least - from Regent old timers and those new to Regent.

I started cruising around the same age as you, also on a luxury cruise line. I was immediately hooked by the same thing that you wrote :" The real and powerful magic for me of the cruise experience is arriving at a new location e.g. day without the aggravation of airports etc. A revelation. For me, that alone is probably enough to make me return to cruising. ". Yes!

Can you tell me a little more about why you weren't so keen on Chartreuse?

Thank you for taking time to write your review. It's always interesting to read the thoughts of a first-timer, whether it's a first time on a specific cruise line or new to cruising itself. I haven't yet cruised with Regent so I enjoy reading all perspectives - balanced ones at least - from Regent old timers and those new to Regent.

I started cruising around the same age as you, also on a luxury cruise line. I was immediately hooked by the same thing that you wrote :" The real and powerful magic for me of the cruise experience is arriving at a new location e.g. day without the aggravation of airports etc. A revelation. For me, that alone is probably enough to make me return to cruising. ". Yes!

Can you tell me a little more about why you weren't so keen on Chartreuse?

Hi Isklaar, apologies there are a few typos in my post now I reread it.

So to Chartreuse, its a nice looking if slightly twee restaurant. The service was good both times we went. My issue was with the food. To be clear its not that it was bad in anyway rather it just didn't live up to elaborate descriptions and the quality of the ingredients and therefore perhaps our expectations. I had a Bresse chicken dish which was just bland and my partner had a monk fish that was again largely tasteless. The starters were again just ok. Overall, it was just ok which isn't really the point of a speciality restaurant in my view.

Hi Isklaar, apologies there are a few typos in my post now I reread it. So to Chartreuse, its a nice looking if slightly twee restaurant. The service was good both times we went. My issue was with the food. To be clear its not that it was bad in anyway rather it just didn't live up to elaborate descriptions and the quality of the ingredients and therefore perhaps our expectations. I had a Bresse chicken dish which was just bland and my partner had a monk fish that was again largely tasteless. The starters were again just ok. Overall, it was just ok which isn't really the point of a speciality restaurant in my view.
Quality ingredients such as Bresse chicken should be treated with the utmost respect IMO and it's a pity that they're landing up in bland dishes. I understand what you're saying about the point of a speciality restaurant, reading other comments it does seem as if Chartreuse is missing the mark with quite a few reviewers. That's a pity. I'm sure Regent will take the feedback into consideration and make changes.

I was hoping that you would do a review of your cruise so thank you! I agree with much of what you said (but I do like Chartreuse - especially for lunch). So good to read that overall you had a good experience.

When you sail with Crystal, please remember us on the Regent board and do a comparison review between Crystal and Regent. Thanks:D

Many things about Crystal and Regent are equal. I will give a notch up to Crystal for entertainment and food and service. Smaller cabins unless you are in PH or above. Standard cabins are very well laid out and comfortable.

I was hoping that you would do a review of your cruise so thank you! I agree with much of what you said (but I do like Chartreuse - especially for lunch). So good to read that overall you had a good experience.

When you sail with Crystal, please remember us on the Regent board and do a comparison review between Crystal and Regent. Thanks:D

Thanks TC for your great help in the lead up. I totally get why you love Explorer and I think as time plays out we will be likely to return to her for our next cruise. I'm looking at crystal but I've found a nice itinerary on Explorer later this year that is tempting. Prices have been requested. Crystal seems preferable on food but the rooms are not as appetising. Decisions...decisions. I'm a cruise convert either way to my surprise. My partner is incredulous as to how much we loved th experience.

Now I have thoughts on WiFi and the rear staircase if we dare open that for conversation?

Best

Alan

So we do both Regent and Crystal. Also a lot of Oceania.

The Crystal staterooms are very very small compared to Regent generally speaking. We do get a Penthouse Suite with Verandah and we can make long cruises in it. However, my husband is extremely tall and needs the space.

Explorer has glamour! Crystal has understated elegance.

Crystal only has two specialty restaurants and you are limited at this time as to how often you can use them (one time each). You can go more, but you must pay. Their Silk Road is absolutely to die for, but it is Japanese, not fusion.

Crystal has over the top entertainment and lectures. No other cruise line does it better, at this time.

The food in the Main Dining Room is top quality. Not, for the most part, mass produced. Service is excellent.

That being said, we are spending a month on Explorer. Would be uncomfortable for a month on Crystal because of space and lack of restaurants.

This is an unbiased opinion. I am not a cheerleader for any cruise line.

So we do both Regent and Crystal. Also a lot of Oceania.

The Crystal staterooms are very very small compared to Regent generally speaking. We do get a Penthouse Suite with Verandah and we can make long cruises in it. However, my husband is extremely tall and needs the space.

Explorer has glamour! Crystal has understated elegance.

Crystal only has two specialty restaurants and you are limited at this time as to how often you can use them (one time each). You can go more, but you must pay. Their Silk Road is absolutely to die for, but it is Japanese, not fusion.

Crystal has over the top entertainment and lectures. No other cruise line does it better, at this time.

The food in the Main Dining Room is top quality. Not, for the most part, mass produced. Service is excellent.

That being said, we are spending a month on Explorer. Would be uncomfortable for a month on Crystal because of space and lack of restaurants.

This is an unbiased opinion. I am not a cheerleader for any cruise line.

Thanks caroldoll for the thoughts. The limitation around only using a speciality restaurant once without having to pay extra absolutely kills crystal fit me. That's so not luxury. That's mass market. A shame.

With Silk Road I would so rather a restaurant that was authentically "something" rather than the bland "pan" experience that is pacific rim. Give me a great Japanese or Chinese or Indonesian restaurant any day rather than something that is good at none of them.

Great to hear crystal has good enrichment as I really felt that was so lacking on Regent which really suprised and disappointed me.

Best

Alan

Unfortunately, with any Asian restaurant on a cruise ship they tend to cater to the blander palettes of the majority of passengers. If they ever prepared dishes they way they do in Asian countries you would hear howls of displeasure on these boards about over spiciness and heat.

Exactly the same here, including at about the same age. I'd actually been on one cruise before, and hated it. But that cruise was more ship than destination. A few years later, I wanted to go to the Greek islands, and the travel agent I was working with strongly suggested a cruise. I reluctantly went along, and was hooked. The ship was called the Song of Flower, and was then part of Radisson Seven Seas line. Which changed its name some years back to Regent.

Getting your hotel and transportation in one is a real treat, and has enabled me to see places I might not otherwise have gotten to see. I've become particularly fond of longer cruises, where one can get off for a few days, go inland, and then meet the ship at a later port. I've seen the antiquities of Egypt, visited Petra, explored Angkor Wat, and gone on safari in South Africa that way. And longer cruises often have overnights--sometimes a couple of nights--in one place.

I've had one lengthy cruise on Regent (72 days), and one on Crystal (120 days). Each has its pluses and minuses, but none of the minuses are serious on either. I'd do either again in a heartbeat. In fact, I am. Next year. On Regent Navigator. (Yes, I'm retired).

Thanks TC for your great help in the lead up. I totally get why you love Explorer and I think as time plays out we will be likely to return to her for our next cruise. I'm looking at crystal but I've found a nice itinerary on Explorer later this year that is tempting. Prices have been requested. Crystal seems preferable on food but the rooms are not as appetising. Decisions...decisions. I'm a cruise convert either way to my surprise. My partner is incredulous as to how much we loved th experience.

Now I have thoughts on WiFi and the rear staircase if we dare open that for conversation?

Best

Alan

Alan,

Think that I missed this post. I'm generally able to tell by a person's questions and posts whether or not Regent would be a good fit. I expected you to really like the Explorer but wasn't sure about Pacific Rim since you are from Asia. We personally prefer authentic Chinese, Thai, Indonesian and Japanese food to Asian Fusion but did find the Tempera Lobster in Pacific Rim to be quite good. Everything else was indeed bland (you may recall that it took us many visits to Pacific Rim to find anything that we liked -- except for the saki that we enjoyed - both hot and cold).

We made a decision not to sail on Crystal some time ago due to the small cabins and the fact that they did not have open seating (they now have semi-open seating but after one ship is refurbished this year and another next year, they will have true open seating). Crystal ships are significantly larger than Regent ships which allows them to have a larger stage. Crystal's former owners put a lot of emphasis on entertainment and enrichment. While reports are that things have remained the same, I'd say that the jury is still out on how the new owners will proceed (they already slipped back the building of two new ocean going ships in favor of river boats yachts, etc.)

Feel free to open up the discussion of the "stairway to nowhere" or the "wi-fi". Everyone will likely agree with whatever you have to say about it.

Whichever cruise line you decide to try, you will likely enjoy it as you have a great attitude!

Jackie

Because I am from Hawaii, I love Japanese food. That being said, I also love Chinese food, but I do not like Thai as they put those pesky little red things in there! Too much for me. I want to taste the flavor.

Both lines are excellent. I agree, not being able to go to the specialties is a bummer. Paying $30 each puts it up there. We would rather spend it in other ways.

After the rehab...Symphony now and Serenity much later, it will be better for us as we do Penthouse Suite.

That being said, the MDR is first class and the shows and enrichment perfect. Now on to 24 or more days on Explorer, and maybe 60 on Oceania Marina and then 18 or so on Crystal. The devil is in the itinerary!

Enjoy every moment of every day on each of these fine cruise lines.

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies

I cannot agree more that one of the great advantages of cruising is that you go to places you would otherwise never go to. I would probably have never made it to Valencia but it turned out to be one of my favourite places on the itinerary.

I'm definitely less keen on Crystal than I was at the start of my thread.

I do just wish Regent had better enrichment programs and entertainment.

Can I add a few more thoughts to my initial review:

(1) Internet was borderline unacceptable.

(2) Stern stairs to no where is an interesting feature. I'm going to go probably contrary to the tide on this one. We were near these stairs and on deck 8. I personally really liked walking down the stairs to the reception level and having to walk along the deck to the main stair case down to Compass Rose and the theatre. For me it created a bit of sense of arrival and a journey. I would have hated ending up in a secondary entrance to Compass Rose. None of this of course explains the fact that the staircase seems to continue down to the crew level and is blocked off with a barricade that would embarrass a bus line. This bit I just don't get. Perhaps I'm over thinking this.

(3) Pacific Rim, agree with the thoughts about the need to westernise the flavours to make them popular. Do you think if I had done a special request for a more authentic say Indonesia dish I would have gotten it (within the limitations of the available produce)?

Best

Alan

Do you think if I had done a special request for a more authentic say Indonesia dish I would have gotten it (within the limitations of the available produce)?

Alan, given the heritage of many of the galley staff, such requests for "authentic" national/regional dishes are usually greeted with enthusiasm and the results we have enjoyed have never disappointed (and have usually been overwhelming!) We usually gather a bunch of friends towards the end of a cruise and create a special evening in CR, often to celebrate the area through which we have sailed. We've explained our preferences in advance, have usually asked for everything to be served "family style" (so we can try everything!) and then left the experts to get on with what they do best. It's another instance where the responsive style of Regent crew members shines through - given an opportunity to share their heritage and expertise with people who appreciate such things, they rise to the challenge like the true professionals they are.

Edited to add: I think the quality of the on board enrichment programme is one aspect of the Regent experience that has declined since our earliest cruises. Regular port lecturers such as Sandra Bowen, Terry Breen and John...(forgotten his name, sorry) brought a level of expertise and local knowledge to their work and enhanced our cruise experience considerably. Terry seems to be the sole survivor of those days (long may she continue!!) Our last few cruises have offered a couple of good, inspiring speakers, but they have been in the minority, sadly.

Edited by Gilly

Crystal only has two specialty restaurants and you are limited at this time as to how often you can use them (one time each). You can go more, but you must pay.

Please keep in mind that Crystal cruises of 14 days or longer entitle you to a total of four reservations per person without charge. The reservations can be used in either restaurant as you like.

(2) Stern stairs to no where is an interesting feature. I'm going to go probably contrary to the tide on this one. We were near these stairs and on deck 8. I personally really liked walking down the stairs to the reception level and having to walk along the deck to the main stair case down to Compass Rose and the theatre. For me it created a bit of sense of arrival and a journey. I would have hated ending up in a secondary entrance to Compass Rose. None of this of course explains the fact that the staircase seems to continue down to the crew level and is blocked off with a barricade that would embarrass a bus line. This bit I just don't get. Perhaps I'm over thinking this.

Alan,

I do understand what you are saying about the journey of walking down the stairs to the reception level and then taking another staircase to Compass Rose. Unfortunately, many Regent passengers are not able to walk down multiple flights of stairs (or even one flight). It wasn't until my knee became bad a few years ago that I fully understood this. Prior to and for a year after my knee replacement surgery, walking stairs was quite the challenge. Thankfully this is no longer an issue but others may not have a "fix" to their disability.

The other Regent ships have two entrances to Compass Rose and this makes it particularly difficult for the servers and Maitre 'd (especially on the Mariner where the sight lines in CR are particularly difficult). So, while I do like having only one entrance on Explorer, there needs to be a way for passengers in aft suites to take an elevator without walking to the other end of the ship.

In terms of enrichment programs, I agree with most posters but want to add that there are lectures every morning and afternoon on itineraries with several sea days. Regent contracted with the Smithsonian a couple of years ago and there have been some less than positive reviews. On the other hand, we really enjoyed the gentleman that was onboard in November. While we haven't been on Crystal, I have no doubt that their programs are better than on Regent.

In terms of other luxury cruise lines, I recommend Silversea (based on personal experience and only on the Silver Whisper). The ship is small (around 380 passengers), a bit older but full of charm. We like the suites and, although there are only two restaurants in addition to the MDR that have no charge (and one with a charge) it wasn't an issue for us. The service is equal to Regent and some of their food is better than Regent and some is not. Their sailings with a food theme are really fun -- interesting interactions with the Chef - hands-on classes (not like Explorer - more about knife skills, pairing different food with the same wine to taste the dramatic difference, etc.) and the Chef takes a group shopping with him at a port.

Their new ship, the Muse, is getting weird reviews and they are now charging for more restaurants. IMO, specialty restaurants on luxury cruise ships should not have an additional charge. Regent limits reservations but you can dine in a specialty restaurant multiple times (with no charge) if there is availability.

I hear good things about Seabourn but have not sailed them (the main reason being that they had a liberal smoking policy around the ship until the past year and, for us, we are very spoiled by the benefits afforded us on Regent from their Seven Seas Society program so we are not about to try a new cruise line). To my knowledge, there is no charge to dine in specialty restaurants on Seabourn.

Not sure if this helps as it is only one person's opinion.

Jackie

Interesting review and thanks for posting. We have not been on the Explorer yet - perhaps soon. We really like the other Regent ships and encourage you to give them a try. Just watch the cabin you book...some still shake a bit. What I find the most interesting is the claim that other cruise lines make that they too are luxury or 5 star...however the "phraseology"...And then read some of the reviews on Regent..and cannot help but chuckle to myself... I am certainly not a Regent cheerleader, there is a lot that Regent can improve on, entertainment being one....however try some of the other 5 star lines (that I will not mention names of), the BIG production numbers they claim are at best totally boring and overproduced and at worst I have seen much better done in local high schools. Regent productions are smaller in nature but as good. I am sad that Signatures is gone ( i understand)...it was my favourite..especially the rotating menus. What I do like the most about Regent is that once you step on board - that is it for your credit card and your pocket book....On other 5 star lines the credit card fun never stops...Oh and as for the internet...yes, again Regent could improve that especially considering the price of the cruise...but once again...on the other 5 star line you were extremely lucky to get 35k in your cabin AND you paid by the minute...

Please keep in mind that Crystal cruises of 14 days or longer entitle you to a total of four reservations per person without charge. The reservations can be used in either restaurant as you like.

Sorry, I believe that specialties should be included. However, after the redo which is soon for Symphony and next year for Serenity, I believe in some categories they are letting everyone come more. Not all though. I believe this is a major rip-off. We are booked again in 2018 on Serenity though.

For those who want "authentic", Nobu is the chef for Crystal, so the Japanese is "authentic". I love it all, so I am good!

Not good for price gouging though. Love Pacific Rim and that Lobster Tempura, but since I am on a perpetual diet, that doesn't work too much for me! LOL

Just read Travelcat's comments on other cruise lines. We have just returned from a cruise on Seabourn and really appreciated that their dress code was mainly smart casual, and on the two formal nights it only applied in the main restaurant and even then no tie was required for men or women. We will not sail with Silversea until they relax their dress code from formal and informal with just the occasional smart casual. Long may Regent stick to their smart casual code. We have seldom observed smart casual being abused on any of the lines.

We are currently (May 2017) on the Explorer going around the Iberian peninsula on a seven day cruise. The cabins and facilities cannot be faulted, and your comments are spot on. One feature, in addition to the lack of a night light in the bathroom, that caused a problem is the suite doorbell, which on the first night woke us at 3 am when it was rung continuously for a minute, probably by a passenger who had overindulged.

Seafood entrées at all of the restaurants are typical of most other cruise lines and suffer from being frozen and defrosted. Alaskan king crab legs in Prime 7 were small and dry; and may have been Snow crab rather than King crab The exception is shrimp and possibly lobster which can survive freeze/thaw. Lobster in Chartreuse was mushy, beef ribs were tender and cooked to retain the beef flavor but came with a flavorless sauce. The meat dishes are more reliable. Overall the menu and preparation at the Chartreause restaurant was inferior to the Compass Rose and the Prime 7 restaurants where the variety and quality of the meat dishes were top quality and top quality wines were offered. Chartreuse restaurant misses the mark, Mediocre wines are offered initially. Higher grade wines will be served if the initial offering is not satisfactory. On cruises less than two weeks guests are limited to one dining reservation at each of the specialty restaurants. The Regent web site implies that additional reservations are possible once on board, but this is only true for longer cruises. Several unusual occurrences during a seven day cruise around the Iberian peninsula are listed. Less than 50 people attended the captain’s reception. Less than 50 people attended the Smithsonian sponsored presentations by a former member of the US state department. The Observation Lounge bar never had more than 20 people in a space that could accommodate more than 100. These low turnouts may be related to the two travel groups on board and a larger than normal group of non-English speakers. The exact explanation is not clear. The number of groups on board is something you might check before booking.