That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

It depends on the type of cruise you are looking for. Both have good food -- Windstar's is usually better. Celebrity's rooms are, of course, larger but Windstar packs a lot of comfort in a small space. There are few planned activities on Windstar while there is something to do on Celebrity at almost any time . You can't beat Celebrity's spa. Windstar stops at small ports that Celebrity can not visit. I have sailed on Windstar 15 times and Celebrity 11 times. It just depends on the type of cruise you are looking for -- you can't go wrong with either cruise line, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

What a spot you are in!! Both are such great choices, you CAN'T go wrong. It depends on what you want from your vacation. Constant structure, formal surroundings, entertainment options, and alot of company, OR a chance for total relaxation, quality time spent with someone over a cocktail or the company of a good book, no suits and ties, and the sound of the sails flapping in the breeze. Sometimes you need one or the other, but lately, I have leaned towards Windstar. You will have all the ammenities to spoil yourself, but a casual environment, no lines, no busy schedule, and excellent dining. Heading to Athens next month for my 5th on Windstar. It is the perfect vacation getaway without the hassles of packing all those clothes to wear on the formal nites, etc....

• 12 years later...
What a spot you are in!! Both are such great choices, you CAN'T go wrong. It depends on what you want from your vacation. Constant structure, formal surroundings, entertainment options, and alot of company, OR a chance for total relaxation, quality time spent with someone over a cocktail or the company of a good book, no suits and ties, and the sound of the sails flapping in the breeze. Sometimes you need one or the other, but lately, I have leaned towards Windstar. You will have all the ammenities to spoil yourself, but a casual environment, no lines, no busy schedule, and excellent dining. Heading to Athens next month for my 5th on Windstar. It is the perfect vacation getaway without the hassles of packing all those clothes to wear on the formal nites, etc....

Good words. Makes me look forward to booking my first Windstar cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. We're sailing on Holland America for the first time next year, and I've noticed that many of the itineraries between Windstar and HAL are similar, and on occasion, so are the prices. Celebrity is our favorite line so far, but I look forward to trying Windstar as soon as it makes sense.

Markt3308 - very good advice. We have started researching Windstar and becoming attracted to the very things you mentioned, and hope to try them within the next 1 or 2 years. We always enjoy the larger ships, but something about the experience just feels special.

WOW...........check the date of the original post....2004:eek:........13 years ago......:eek:.........I knew the guy who started this thread....the archives are so old:eek:

Yes, it would be nice if Windstar locked these old threads. I'm not sure why posters bump them up.

I don't think it is the cruiseline who can lock/delete them....I think Cruise Critic is the one who would "clean out the

old the stuff".

It may be an ancient tread, but it is relevant.

To me you really can't compare them as they are entirely different experiences. I've done 25+ mainstream (including X) and 2 Windstar cruises. It would be like comparing a boutique store where you are immediately greeted and attended to with a big box department store.

I cruise on Celebrity and Windstar. Both are enjoyable. I am elite plus on Celebrity. The perks for elite plus are great. I really like the free internet and laundry. On Celebrity there is more of everything.....people, shows, pools, food venues, excursion choices, etc. Celebrity has better night entertainment. Windstar has far less to choose from. That may or may not be a good thing. Windstar provides more personal service, has better food, small group excursions, great cabins( especially the suites on the Star ships), L'Occitane toiletries, great selection of videos and books, and almost no lines. The discovery events are great. It has a crew that goes out of their way to make guests happy. In warm climates, the sports platform is fun. In cooler climates, I prefer Celebrity for its indoor pool. In the past year, I have sailed on both lines. Given a choice, I would pick Windstar.

We have never been on a large ship only WS and one river cruise. To enjoy whatever type of ship you should be self aware of what you enjoy. We love small, I dislike overt tourist attractions, I can not stand long lines and huge buffets, I would rather not eat. Nightky entertainment means nothing to us. I can not stand saving, like a book on a chair. I enjoy tranquility, dining with only my husband or friends when traveling together. We tend to be shy. We love sails. Small, not hectic or loud is important to us. We do not like ostentatiousness. We are informal. We never complain for us WS is perfect. People need to take responsibility on what they like and take that type of cruise. Then you will be happy. There seems to be a cruise type for everyone, know yourself and go for it. Research, be informed and you should have a lovely time on whatever ship you choose. Happy Sailung.