Norwegian fjords on Magellan April 16th

sooty56

Hi

My sister and I are in this cruise with you, we have been on many cruises but first time on Magellan and with cruise and maritime.

We live in Southport Merseyside and plan to get the train from Liverpool to Newcastle.

The only excursion we are doing with ship is the Edinburgh coach transfer.

Eidfjord - we haven't booked anything, we are only there for a few hours, so probably just go for a wander around.

Flam - we have booked the train direct with flam railway, it was 680 nok for me and 340 nok for my sister, as she is a senior citizen! So it was approx £80 for the two of us.

Geiranger - we have booked panorama bus tour direct, the bus tour is for about one and a half hours and stops at viewpoints Flydalscanyon and Eaglesbend.

Cost was approx £69 for the two of us no senior discount on this trip!

Bergen - we have bought tickets for Funicular floibanen, to avoid having to queue. Cost 128 nor approx £7.00 for me and £ 3.50 for senior

Also we would like to do the cable car but are going to wait until the day to see what the weather is like as no point in paying in advance and it's cloudy.

The tours with the ship seem quiet reasonably, but we have probably saved a a bit and are doing what we want at our own pace and time.

Most attractions seem to give senior citizens half price as well.

My name is Sue and my sister is Jean hope to see you on board!

Hi Sue

If you type in -

What's in port

Click on Norway

Click on the ports we are visiting.

Flam if you are interested in the railway journey, go down to highlighted sightseeing and it takes you to nsb website where you can book.

Geiranger, go down to highlighted tourist office, gives info on excursions this is where we got bus tour from.

Bergen, quite a lot of things to do so just again click on highlighted and see what interests you.

It's a great site gives plenty of info and also maps to print.

Hope this helps

Sue

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Another question. Someone recently told me there are little trains in some of the Norwegian Ports. We have used these in France and found them a good way to get around the small towns.

There is one in Alesund ... It takes you up to the beautiful overlook of the town and around the most important sites.

• 2 weeks later...

It's important to book the Flam railway before hand - either through CMV or directly. We were among the many who didn't pre-book and missed out; we could have got the train up - but there was no way back down! We ended up getting a minibus to Gudvangen and then a smaller ferry back to Flam - good for getting a better close up view of the fjords. It cost two of us £62.

In Bergen we bought the do it yourself tour. Get to the furnicular quite early - by the time we got back down there was quite a queue. The salmon/shrimp/ham&cheese roll they include was tasty and easy to pick up.

If you stop in Eidfjord check out the free museum behind the hotel.