Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Fairbourne, good job of bone retrieval. Brenda always choked on her CET chew bones....Horton is meticulous at chewing them, thank goodness.

Have a fun, safe and happy weekend everyone ♥

To those of you who are off on a cruise - Bon~Voyage! :ship: Have a foo-foo drink for me :tropical-drink:

Poor Henri - I don't give her any bones (although I am sure that she would love them). I worry about the choking. Glad that all the doggies are okay.

Dianne

If Horton didn't have his CET Chews, I swear there would be a revolution in our home! :mad:

Halo, my great Dane/lab mobility dog has been on a plane to my parents but never a hotel. We just got back from our first overnight road trip. We stayed in a Fairfield Inn. He was beyond awesome.

I know that legally a service dog can't be refused from any area. The hotel said he couldn't be in the pool area or the breakfast area. We didn't make an issue of it and just crated him, we brought his crate with, when we went to the hot tub and to breakfast. I don't think he made a peep. He isn't much of a barker, but we didn't know what to expect in a hotel. When we got back to the room, he looked at us like how dare we wake him.

The best part, and I sure wish I remembered to have a picture taken, was when we took a 45 minute bike taxi tour of Salt Lake City and he wouldn't have anything on sitting by our feet and not seeing what was going on. He crawled up on our laps, he is a big dog, and looked at everything while on the tour.

I only give thick elk antlers to Halo. When he gets them chewed down, takes forever, I replace the horn. I am so scared of the choking. I am lucky, my husband is a hunter and knows where to find the sheds. He has a grinders and grinds off any sharp areas.

Halo, my great Dane/lab mobility dog has been on a plane to my parents but never a hotel. We just got back from our first overnight road trip. We stayed in a Fairfield Inn. He was beyond awesome.

I know that legally a service dog can't be refused from any area. The hotel said he couldn't be in the pool area or the breakfast area. We didn't make an issue of it and just crated him, we brought his crate with, when we went to the hot tub and to breakfast. I don't think he made a peep. He isn't much of a barker, but we didn't know what to expect in a hotel. When we got back to the room, he looked at us like how dare we wake him.

The best part, and I sure wish I remembered to have a picture taken, was when we took a 45 minute bike taxi tour of Salt Lake City and he wouldn't have anything on sitting by our feet and not seeing what was going on. He crawled up on our laps, he is a big dog, and looked at everything while on the tour.

I only give thick elk antlers to Halo. When he gets them chewed down, takes forever, I replace the horn. I am so scared of the choking. I am lucky, my husband is a hunter and knows where to find the sheds. He has a grinders and grinds off any sharp areas.

Thank you so much for sharing your vacation and wonderful story with us.

No one can separate your Service Dog from you. They may ask that the dog NOT go into the pool itself, I get that, but they may not keep him away from the pool area itself. As long as he is behaving well and you are with him, to supervise him......he goes where you go! They can NOT tell you that the dog is not allowed in the restaurant portion of the hotel. If guests are allowed there, then so is he. He's part of you.

I don't like leaving my dog alone anywhere. What if an emergency occurred; a fire, an earthquake. He'd be alone and unable to escape.

I can just picture him crawling up on your lap. I, too, have a big dog and I know that he'd love to sit on my lap, at times. They have no idea how big they are!

I have not given Horton, elk antlers, pigs ears or any other animal parts to chew on. I think I'll stick to the CET Chews for now.

Halo sounds like a wonderful boy. I hope you have many happy and safe travels with him!

I agree with Roz, a true service dog goes with its handler.

Obviously the dog will not get into the hot tub or eat the breakfast food, but it does accompany the person it is there to assist. That's the whole point - bringing a trained service animal because you need assistance.

It's not making an issue if someone incorrectly denies access, it's simply pointing out Federal law...and I have no problem quietly explaining the difference to hotel staff who are treating a service dog the same way they would a pet based on hotel rules they think need to be followed for all dogs.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Funny story to share. So, Scooter has a little issue with pulling me leaving tht house. We are working on it, and working with the trainer. We also have been working hard on rug training as a stay/down. Getting good at that.

This morning I'm helping a friend. Friend has cats. Scooter is convinced that one of these days a cat will play with him. Silly pup. So I'm at my friends house, drop his rug, and tell him down on the rug. He stays until I walk out the door to get a tool from the car, at the same time as a cat walks past toward it's food. Sigh. More to work on. No big deal though.

We head to Lowe's for a few things, get what we need and get in line to check out.

He is PERFECT at Lowe's! In line to check out, I tell him to sit and he sits right where i tell him. We move forward and he does right what I tell him. He doesn't even have his vest on, just his seatbelt harness.

The checker looks at Scooter and comments that he is the first dog he has seen just sit/lay there in line and not be looking around. I reply, "He doesn't have his vest on, but he is a service dog. I told him to sit so he did." The guy tells me that they get "plenty" of SDs in, and they never act like that. My reply, "well, either they aren't really service dogs, or their partners need to do a lot of work".

I was just so pleased with Scooter!

Now, off to the vet. Watch him forget all he knows. Sigh.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I agree with Roz, a true service dog goes with its handler.

Obviously the dog will not get into the hot tub or eat the breakfast food, but it does accompany the person it is there to assist. That's the whole point - bringing a trained service animal because you need assistance.

It's not making an issue if someone incorrectly denies access, it's simply pointing out Federal law...and I have no problem quietly explaining the difference to hotel staff who are treating a service dog the same way they would a pet based on hotel rules they think need to be followed for all dogs.

Well said, Chris. I, too, don't mind pointing out the rules and reminding hotels that they are NOT allowed to ask for a "cleaning fee" or "deposit" for my Service Dog. Most folks behind the registration desk have absolutely no idea of what they are allowed to say or ask. A true teaching moment for me!

Happy Friday, everyone!

Funny story to share. So, Scooter has a little issue with pulling me leaving tht house. We are working on it, and working with the trainer. We also have been working hard on rug training as a stay/down. Getting good at that.

This morning I'm helping a friend. Friend has cats. Scooter is convinced that one of these days a cat will play with him. Silly pup. So I'm at my friends house, drop his rug, and tell him down on the rug. He stays until I walk out the door to get a tool from the car, at the same time as a cat walks past toward it's food. Sigh. More to work on. No big deal though.

We head to Lowe's for a few things, get what we need and get in line to check out.

He is PERFECT at Lowe's! In line to check out, I tell him to sit and he sits right where i tell him. We move forward and he does right what I tell him. He doesn't even have his vest on, just his seatbelt harness.

The checker looks at Scooter and comments that he is the first dog he has seen just sit/lay there in line and not be looking around. I reply, "He doesn't have his vest on, but he is a service dog. I told him to sit so he did." The guy tells me that they get "plenty" of SDs in, and they never act like that. My reply, "well, either they aren't really service dogs, or their partners need to do a lot of work".

I was just so pleased with Scooter!

Now, off to the vet. Watch him forget all he knows. Sigh.

Barb, you both are doing great! Soon your expectations will be met and you'll be so proud of him!

Well said, Chris. I, too, don't mind pointing out the rules and reminding hotels that they are NOT allowed to ask for a "cleaning fee" or "deposit" for my Service Dog. Most folks behind the registration desk have absolutely no idea of what they are allowed to say or ask. A true teaching moment for me!

I just had to make reservations for a wedding in San Diego. Once I mentioned that I was bringing a service dog I was told that I would have to pay an extra fee. I politely pointed out that it was illegal to ask for the extra fee and asked to speak to a supervisor. After 25 minutes on hold, they cut me off. This was also after spending 45 minutes on hold to find out if they had a wheelchair accessible room available (which is also a violation of the ADA - if regular rooms can be reserved on-line than ADA rooms must also be able to be reserved on-line). If my nephew wasn't getting married at this hotel I would not be staying there. I did point out to the reservation agent that they were violating both federal and California law and that under California law they were liable for minimum damages of $4000. We will see what happens when we try to check in.

I agree with everyone, it was a great teaching moment. Usually I will say something, I don't know why I didn't. It was a no pet hotel, I had no issues with them getting us a room or charging us extra and they were very friendly. I think after the long drive and being so new to having a service dog, I was tired and didn't think of it as a big deal. I had my cane and my husband to help.

He is an awesome dog and I get the comment of people not even knowing he is there, he is so quiet and well behaved. Unless he doesn't want to work and then he will lay but groan occasionally, like he did at my daughters track meeting. And he is a mobility dog for a person who isn't very mobile. It is not like an alert dog, he isn't "on" all the time. Yes, he is a bit spoiled.

Linda

I just had to make reservations for a wedding in San Diego. Once I mentioned that I was bringing a service dog I was told that I would have to pay an extra fee. I politely pointed out that it was illegal to ask for the extra fee and asked to speak to a supervisor. After 25 minutes on hold, they cut me off. This was also after spending 45 minutes on hold to find out if they had a wheelchair accessible room available (which is also a violation of the ADA - if regular rooms can be reserved on-line than ADA rooms must also be able to be reserved on-line). If my nephew wasn't getting married at this hotel I would not be staying there. I did point out to the reservation agent that they were violating both federal and California law and that under California law they were liable for minimum damages of $4000. We will see what happens when we try to check in.

I just hope they actually made the reservation, since they did not get the extra fee. I would hate for you to get there and find out there isn't "any" room for you. Why can't people just do their job and if they don't know it or the answer they should be asking a supervisor.

I, too, am not getting "alerts" like I used to. I come to the forum to check regardless but it sure is nice when the "prompted alerts" would come up.

I also get asked to register a lot.....so annoying!

It's so discouraging to still find hotels that have no idea about Service Dogs. I have very little patience for them and do find myself getting a bit short tempered.

I NEVER mention that I have a Service Dog when I'm making my reservations. Hotels have a tendency to save the less updated rooms for the Service Dog family. If I notice that I'm being taken to a more obscure room in the hotel, I will ask to be moved to a better room.

EXAMPLE: When checking in, ask your dog to "sit" and "stay"...walk a few steps.....Say "come", ask him to "lay down". I've had folks come out from behind the counter and ask to pet my dog. It's even better if you do this in front of other guests who are checking in. They'll always comment how their dogs would NEVER behave this well. You and your dog will truly be the shining stars. Everyone is so impressed. I'll do this at the bank when there are folks who are whispering to one another in wonderment of why this dog is in the bank and they can't bring "FiFi" in with them.

It's really good practice for you and your dog and it makes all the whispering and "side-eye" glares go away and turn into admiring glances.

I know that it seems like "game-playing" and we shouldn't have to prove anything in this day and age......but, unfortunately, at times, it's just plain necessary!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I agree, Roz, it is really irrelevant for an American hotel to know at reservation time that you travel with a trained SD. Ships have to know to provide the relief station, and airlines can move you to bulkhead seats if they know in advance, but hotels don't need the info.

We're en route to a Miami airport hotel and I can't recall whether we gave advance notice. Flying tomorrow to St. Croix where we lived for eight years - big centennial celebration of Transfer Day in 1917 when the US bought the Danish West Indies, now the US Virgin Islands. We're renting a villa across the road from where we used to live. Lots of old friends say they can't wait to meet Raylene!

I agree, Roz, it is really irrelevant for an American hotel to know at reservation time that you travel with a trained SD. Ships have to know to provide the relief station, and airlines can move you to bulkhead seats if they know in advance, but hotels don't need the info.

We're en route to a Miami airport hotel and I can't recall whether we gave advance notice. Flying tomorrow to St. Croix where we lived for eight years

What a difference between where I live and other places. Not only has Scooter been welcome at our small town bank from the start, but they keep dog treats behind the desk. :)

He has also been with me in the car dealers, and the service station shuttles.

Needless to say, he is also welcome in the farm and home stores, and has been since we got him. One of them generally has a big box of pig ears out and gives them away if you bring in your dog. My biggest problem is people who bring in their dog, it makes a puddle on the floor, and they just leave it without notifying anyone or cleaning it up. I always seem to discover those.

Regarding hotels: I have the box checked in my Hilton Honors account, but generally choose my preferred room the day before I arrive. So far, it has not been an issue.

We're en route to a Miami airport hotel and I can't recall whether we gave advance notice. Flying tomorrow to St. Croix where we lived for eight years

I just hope they actually made the reservation, since they did not get the extra fee. I would hate for you to get there and find out there isn't "any" room for you. Why can't people just do their job and if they don't know it or the answer they should be asking a supervisor.

I did get an e-mail confirmation - but of course it did not specify that it was a wheelchair accessible room. So I had to call back and wait another 25 minutes on hold - they said their confirmations aren't set up to reflect that the room is accessible. I finally was able to get them to send me an email confirming that. Hopefully it won't be an issue when we get there!

Dianne

I, too, am not getting "alerts" like I used to. I come to the forum to check regardless but it sure is nice when the "prompted alerts" would come up.

I also get asked to register a lot.....so annoying!

It's so discouraging to still find hotels that have no idea about Service Dogs. I have very little patience for them and do find myself getting a bit short tempered.

I NEVER mention that I have a Service Dog when I'm making my reservations. Hotels have a tendency to save the less updated rooms for the Service Dog family. If I notice that I'm being taken to a more obscure room in the hotel, I will ask to be moved to a better room.

I usually don't tell the hotel ahead of time either. At least I will know to have a copy of the Department of Justice's handout to give them. It is discouraging because I am sure that there are some service dog teams that do not know the law and they are being taken advantage of.

Dianne

I usually don't tell the hotel ahead of time either. At least I will know to have a copy of the Department of Justice's handout to give them. It is discouraging because I am sure that there are some service dog teams that do not know the law and they are being taken advantage of.

Dianne

I hope that anyone who is walking or wheeling with a Service Dog knows the law and asserts their rights.

We're en route to a Miami airport hotel and I can't recall whether we gave advance notice. Flying tomorrow to St. Croix where we lived for eight years - big centennial celebration of Transfer Day in 1917 when the US bought the Danish West Indies, now the US Virgin Islands. We're renting a villa across the road from where we used to live. Lots of old friends say they can't wait to meet Raylene!

Have a great time Chris and Raylene!

Dianne

Thanks, all...we had a smooth overnight and flight. All very easy at the Hilton Garden Inn Miami airport west. We've stayed there before and the staff is very friendly to us, there's easy access to grassy areas just outside, and the airport van had steps built in, which made it easy in & out, with plenty of room for her. Their restaurant has a corner table for two we have found available each time we've eaten there, with a nice slice of space alongside the wall for the dog the stretch out and sleep. Funny how a little thing like that makes life easier.

The AA agent at check-in asked if we had a health certificate but didn't want to see it. On arrival, no formalities at all - for the US Virgin Islands.

On the 3-hr flight to St. Croix, Raylene was an angel once again. I am SO lucky that she has a calm reaction to flying. For the third time, a flight attendant mistook the dog for a black tote bag because she settles immediately and is so still. There was a small emotional support dog on board, on leash but not in a carrier, and not very well-controlled in the departure area, barking at Raylene. As the owner came down the aisle inside the plane, she loudly said to a companion, "Where's that big black dog sitting?" - not even realizing she was walking right past us, because Ray behaves herself properly!

We were lucky that the 3rd person in our 3-seat bulkhead row decided to move to an empty row in back, so we had the extra leg room to spread out a little.

So now we're in our old neighborhood, already running into people we knew when we lived here from 1999-2008. Raylene is wagging her tail watching all the little lizards running around outside.