What's your favourite UK/Ireland port?

What's your favorite UK/Ireland port of call?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite UK/Ireland port of call?

• Holyhead
    • Edinburgh
    • Dover
    • Belfast
    • Inverness
    • St. Peter Port
    • Waterford
    • Newcastle
    • Southampton
    • Cork
    • Liverpool
    • Glasgow
    • Dublin
    • Other, see below!

We're curious: what's your favorite coastal city (we're thinking more day-long port of call than embarkation port) in the UK or Ireland? Please vote in our poll and feel free to share your picks (you can choose more than one) -- and your reasons -- with us below!

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Portsmouth its an undiscovered gem,historic dockyard with HMS Victory,shopping and resturants with harbour views :):):)

Sorry, G, but I've checked the list.

Apparently, Portsmouth doesn't exist.:D

Will your football team follow suit? :eek:

If it were there, then I'd agree -for spending the day in town, I'd put it way higher than my home city of Southampton.

But all the same hinterland available from both - so gizza vote, I think we'll need it :)

JB

I voted for Belfast because it was the biggest surprise to me in terms of expectations vs. experience. I wasn't very excited about going there but it turned out to be a very interesting experience. We hired a private tour (one of the black cabs) to take us on a tour of the political murals, then the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, then out to Giant's Causeway and then a photo stop at Dunluce Castle. It was such a fascinating combination of sightseeing and being educated in the all too recent history of the Troubles.

Lerwick is not listed as an option, but this is the type of place that you get to only see on a cruise. We would never have gone there otherwise. it would be too difficult to get there. The wildlife there is superb and there is a wonderful feeling of the isolated last outpost of civilisation.

Will your football team follow suit?

It looks like it will get worse before it gets better:o,premiership next year tho :(:):)

Will your football team follow suit?

It looks like it will get worse before it gets better:o,premiership next year tho

shhhhhhh.

too many Americans on this site.

best avoid the word football for a while

shhhhhhh

JB :o:D:D

shhhhhhh.

too many Americans on this site.

best avoid the word football for a while

shhhhhhh

JB :o:D:D

Yeah when you lot were 1-0 up, USA must have been GREEN with envy :D

More to the point though - Its nice to see my home city is leading the poll, but from a tourists point of view, what's so good about Edinburgh?

I've been to all, and Liverpool offers by far the most to visitors. It is now the most popular short-stay city in the UK, and it's not difficult to see why: A fabulous waterfront location with ferries across the Mersey, compact city centre with excellent shops and eating venues, great nightlife (if you are staying overnight), the most Grade 1 buildings in the country outside London, world class museums and art galleries, two wonderful cathedrals, two football clubs, the Beatles museum and tours, underground tunnels to explore, more parks ouside the capital, the largest gateway to Chinatown outside China, world heritage marine complex including the Grade 1 listed Albert Dock, the world's first passenger railway station, some of the best pubs in the country and very friendly multicultural people. And only a hop skip and a jump away from lovely North Wales.

Nowhere else compares - they just need to sort out the cruise terminal and it would be perfect

for more information visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool

junglejane, could you help me with a private taxi in Belfast? I want to see the Giant's Causeway and then go to a small crossroads near Newry where my garandmother lived until age 12 before she came to the US. Can you tell me what the cost was? and how to contact the taxi company? Thanks

I voted for Belfast because it was the biggest surprise to me in terms of expectations vs. experience. I wasn't very excited about going there but it turned out to be a very interesting experience. We hired a private tour (one of the black cabs) to take us on a tour of the political murals, then the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, then out to Giant's Causeway and then a photo stop at Dunluce Castle. It was such a fascinating combination of sightseeing and being educated in the all too recent history of the Troubles.

How did you get the "Black Cab" and how much was the cost, there are only 2 of us.

How did you get the "Black Cab" and how much was the cost, there are only 2 of us.

Sunshine Nana and Floatinrocks: We used Paddy Campbell of Belfast Black Cab Tours http://belfastblackcabtours.co.uk/ . We booked ahead of time and paid when he picked us up. I think it was 200 GBP. There were 4 of us but maybe the cost is the same regardless of # in the cab? It was a tight squeeze for 4 of us. Two or three would be more comfortable. Paddy is excellent and it was a great value compared to the ship tours.

Archived