Thomsons: luggage allowance

Luggage allowance on cruises for Summer 2012 is dropping to 20kg. An extra 5kg can be purchased at time of booking.:eek:

Don't know how this will work as baggage handlers only lift 23kg.:eek:

I wonder if passengers purchasing the extra could have 2 small cases and spread their 25kg allowance over them both although I understood it was one piece of hold luggage per person.:confused:

No mention whether hand luggage is dropping back to 5kg or staying at 7kg.

Also, meals are stopping from Winter 2011. They will be selling a selection of snacks/drinks instead with apparently no guarantee that there will be enough for all passengers.:eek:

11.gif

Thomson Airways Baggage Allowance

Each customer is entitled to a free total baggage allowance of 20kg baggage and maximum 5kg of hand baggage (max dimensions: 55cm x40cm x 20cm (22in x 16in x 9in).

No single item of baggage may exceed 23kg. Customers who have pre-paid for an additonal check-in allowance which places them over the 23kg limit must check in an additional bag.

Baggage allowances can be pooled across a party (e.g. 25kg for one passenger and 15kg for the other).

Other bags such as handbags, laptop bags or laptop computers must be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. We recommend that video cameras, mobile telephones and other valuable items should be carried as hand luggage; they must not exceed the dimensions outlined above.

There are restrictions on what you may carry in your hand luggage – please read carefully the information enclosed with your tickets. Customers will only be able to carry Hypodermic Syringes in their hand luggage if supporting an approved "Diabetic Doctors letter". Customers carrying such items must also advise check-in staff.

You should be able to lift hand baggage into overhead storage compartments yourself.

Please note: Customers booking their holiday within 70 days of departure, may have a reduced baggage allowance of 15kg. Please check this on the Holiday Options page at the time of booking. An additional 5kg per person can be purchased at the time of booking for an extra charge of £10 (this must be booked for the whole party travelling).

Excess baggage charges at the airport

For short haul flights with Thomson Airways (that’s flights to destinations including mainland Spain, Portugal, the Balearics, Italy, France, Slovenia, Switzerland, Andorra, Austria, and Lapland), the excess baggage charge is £10 (€12) per kilogram.

For mid haul flights with Thomson Airways (that’s flights to destinations including Bulgaria, the Canary Islands, Cape Verde, Cyprus, Egypt, Gambia, Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco and Malta) the excess baggage charge is £12 (€14) per kilogram.

For long haul flights with Thomson Airways (that’s flights to destinations including the Caribbean, India, Mexico, Brazil, Kenya, Sri Lanka, Maldives, and USA) the excess baggage charge is £15 ($20) per kilogram.

Payment by credit card will incur a 2% charge. Please note that regardless of excess baggage fees paid, no single item of baggage may exceed 23kg (this is for health and safety reasons).

Hi RR

Had to go out so didn't read it properly and now notice that you are off line - gone for apple juice?

Is that not this year's baggage allowance info? If you look at 2012 summer holidays the hold allowance is only 20kg with the option to purchase a further 5kg as opposed to 23kg with option to purchase 5kg this year.:confused:

Jan

ps: just noticed you're back

Just read this in May 2011 - October 2012 edition

"On Cruises for the Uk. There are no luggage restrictions on cruises from the UK provided no one piece of luggage weighs more thn 20kg."

"On Thomson Airways. You can check in 23kg and take up to 7kg as hand luggage for departures up to 30 April 2012. You can check in 20kg and take up to 7kg as hand luggage for departures from 1 May 2012."

Hi Big Chik

It's 20kg hold and 7kg hand after 1 May 2012 but you can purchase an extra 5kg hold per person at time of booking. However, that makes 25kg per suitcase and the maximum is 23kg so you would need another suitcase.:eek:

When your TA said 30kg that would be 23kg + 7kg. They don't tell you it's broken down into hold and hand luggage.:eek:

At the airport the hold and hand luggage are weighed separately. Although hand luggage is not always weighed, they often ask to see it and depending on size will weigh it. Have, on occasions, seen passengers being told their hand luggage has to go into the hold because of size and weight.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got tickets for Spirit, 9th Sept and on back page under "Conditions of Contract and other Important Notices" it says 5k cabin baggage although in brochure it says 7k. Have emailed Thomsons about this but won't hold my breath for a reply.

Just read this in May 2011 - October 2012 edition

"

"On Thomson Airways. You can check in 23kg and take up to 7kg as hand luggage for departures up to 30 April 2012. You can check in 20kg and take up to 7kg as hand luggage for departures from 1 May 2012."

My tickets for departure on Saturday state 23kg hold and only 5kg cabin!!! and a rather small bag at that 17" x 11" x 9" hopefully big enough to get a change of clothes in and swimwear whilst we are waiting for luggage to arrive.

Just got tickets for Spirit, 9th Sept and on back page under "Conditions of Contract and other Important Notices" it says 5k cabin baggage although in brochure it says 7k. Have emailed Thomsons about this but won't hold my breath for a reply.

This is the "helpul" reply from Thomson:

Good Morning Mr Holland

Thank you for contacting Thomson cruise

We can confirm your hand luggage is 5kg as per your cruise tickets, luggage allowance can vary and that’s why we ask to check once booked and in your cruise tickets.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for booking with Thomson.

So check your tickets carefully!!!

just to add yet another confusion to this - I asked my Thomson TA about luggage allowance and she said you get what you were sold at the time of the booking.... so as we booked next years cruise before the changes came in she expects us to have 23k hold allowance for our aug next year cruise.... Im kind of not expecting this to be right BUT it would be good if it was LOL

just to add yet another confusion to this - I asked my Thomson TA about luggage allowance and she said you get what you were sold at the time of the booking.... so as we booked next years cruise before the changes came in she expects us to have 23k hold allowance for our aug next year cruise.... Im kind of not expecting this to be right BUT it would be good if it was LOL

Do a mock booking (as I have just done) and you will see the following copied direct from Thomson's site:

"Excess Baggage

The hold baggage allowance per passenger (excluding infants) is 20Kg. If that's not enough, avoid check-in charges and book an additional allowance for your suitcase on top of that. The price shown is for your entire journey."

A further 5kg per person can be purchased for £25.00 making 25kg per case. However, 23kg is the maximum weight permitted per case. If two people travelled with the extra 10kg this, plus the free 20kg allowance each, could be split over three cases.

Hope this helps. Don't rely on TAs. CCs, brochures, mock bookings know more.

Do a mock booking (as I have just done) and you will see the following copied direct from Thomson's site:

"Excess Baggage

The hold baggage allowance per passenger (excluding infants) is 20Kg. If that's not enough, avoid check-in charges and book an additional allowance for your suitcase on top of that. The price shown is for your entire journey."

A further 5kg per person can be purchased for £25.00 making 25kg per case. However, 23kg is the maximum weight permitted per case. If two people travelled with the extra 10kg this, plus the free 20kg allowance each, could be split over three cases.

Hope this helps. Don't rely on TAs. CCs, brochures, mock bookings know more.

yes i understand that - but when we booked it was BEFORE thomson announced the changes - thats what she is saying - when we booked for next aug it said luggage allowance was 23k still - so she is expecting that to be what we get on our tickets because thats what we were offered at time of booking.

me - I dont think we will so im not expecting it, but it would be good if when the tickets arrive it says 23k!!

yes i understand that - but when we booked it was BEFORE thomson announced the changes - thats what she is saying - when we booked for next aug it said luggage allowance was 23k still - so she is expecting that to be what we get on our tickets because thats what we were offered at time of booking.

me - I dont think we will so im not expecting it, but it would be good if when the tickets arrive it says 23k!!

It's a bit like the change of charging policy for safes on the Dream. A policy decision was made to charge at the beginning of this season (June time?) and they did charge - irrespective of the fact that tickets were still being sent out to passengers stating they were free.

I bet it's all in the small print somewhere - but I agree it's really not on to change the goal posts after you have booked (last year we booked a cruise when the new brochures came out in April and three changes of port were published in the September up-dated brochure - that's a whole other story but symptomatic of the cavalier way Thomson have in some instances treated their customers! We cancelled on account of it!).

I think you're right to not hold out your hopes Clare - if you do get 23Kg it wll be a pleasant surprise!

But I do wish Thomson would have the courtesy and integrity to honour what they have printed in the brochures and if they are intending to change things at least leave it until the new season brochures are released (not up-dated, mid-season brochures). At least that way we the customer, are responsible for reading carefully what the brochure says and what we sign up to and if that is different than in previous years then it's our fault for not being sure of the terms and conditions.

As it is, we're committing to cruises not knowing what may change between booking and departure. That doesn't seem fair to me.

I suppose the fact they are dropping the allowance back to 20kg with the option to purchase another 5kg is another money-making scam. The fact they are dropping meals, unless you buy on board, phone calls to get you to book seats together, plus whatever else (probably charge to get from flight to ship next:eek:) is really getting a bit much. I can't see whey they have to have all these hidden extras.

If they were up front and told us the full price for the holiday we would be adult enough to decide whether we wanted to continue cruising with them or not. After 22 years cruising with Thomson (which was before they had their own ships and only a few cabins on multi-national ships) we are starting to come round to looking at other cruise lines.

Rant over. Hope you get what TA told you Clare.

Jan:)

This is the "helpul" reply from Thomson:

Good Morning Mr Holland

Thank you for contacting Thomson cruise

We can confirm your hand luggage is 5kg as per your cruise tickets, luggage allowance can vary and that’s why we ask to check once booked and in your cruise tickets.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for booking with Thomson.

So check your tickets carefully!!!

RESULT!!!

After much pestering by email I have just received the following from Thomson:-

Good Afternoon Mr Holland

Please accept our sincere apologies,

We have called Thomson Airways who confirmed its an error on your cruise tickets as all cruise passengers flying with Thomson will have 7kg hand luggage each.

Kind Regards

Gemma Walters

Cruise 'ContactUs' Team

Service Centre - Swansea

email contactus@thomson-************

So if anyone else has been given 5k hand baggage allowance on a Thomson Airways flight, query it. Persistence has paid off.

Archived