Cruise Port in Livorno - Day Trip to Lucca & Pisa

veplu

Hello,

Could anyone please share your knowledge on the best option to get from Livorno (Cruise Terminal) to Pisa and Lucca. We're family of 10 (1 children) cruising with Carnival Vista this September. I'm hesitant to book the shore excursion with the Cruise or any tour agents.

I have done some research and some people mentioned that the options to go to Pisa/Lucca on your own is either by Shuttle/Bus no.1/Train or Taxi/Train. My question is

1) I read some comments from several years ago that people experienced challenges to get a cab to the train station. Is it still true?

2) Does anyone know a reliable car transfer that can drop us from Livorno Port to Pisa at our designated time? Most of the companies that I came across offer both transfer and tour, which is not what we need. We just need the car to transfer us from Livorno to Pisa. We can take a train from Pisa to Lucca on our own.

3) Does anyone has an experience in renting a car and driving to Pisa/Lucca. I read that driving in Pisa is complicated as some roads are prohibited for non-residents and if get caught by camera, your credit card will be billed for a fine (hundreds of Euro).

I really appreciate any helps/comments. Thank you.

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and he will tell you how to do it on your own, from the time you walk down the gangway until you walk back up. His book is written for those who do not want to do the ships' tours. Also, join the ROLL CALL for your cruise to see what other CC members sailing with you are planning. To find your ROLL CALL, go back to the main boards page, scroll down to ROLL CALLS, click on Carnival roll calls, then Carnival Vista, and look for a thread with the dates for your sailing. I can say that in 2009 I was in Livorno and took the ship tour to Pisa and Lucca. I had more time than I needed both places after the tour narration ended. EM

I've just finished reading Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports too and his instructions for DIY Lucca/Pisa are VERY detailed :) Its worth a read to give you a balanced bite of all the options. Depending on the day you're cruising there's also a shuttle bus from the directly port to Pisa that's quite reasonably priced but a bit limited on times

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Glad you found Cruise Critic! Welcome!

Not sure why you seem reluctant to book a ship's tour to Pisa and Lucca. Neither are "just around the corner" from the port and if you are touring independently and have some difficulty en route, the ship may/can sail without your group if you are not aboard when you need to be.

Pisa's attractions are not located where one can drive and park close to them. Our tour bus had to park in an area designed for such and we had a nice walk--not really too far, though--to get to the site. For me, Pisa is one of those "been there, done that" sites. Once was enough. Unless things have improved, the members of your party might want to consider using the restroom prior to arrival at Pisa. The Port-a-Potties available on site were absolutely the worse facilities that I have ever seen anywhere.

Lucca, on the other hand, is worth a return visit, at least for me. Charming, scenic, and just wandering around after the official tour was finished was a delight. I have very fond memories of my visit there and compliment you for considering a visit there.

We took train to Lucca (via Pisa where we had just enough time between trains for a quick ride to the Tower - nothing much else of real interest in Pisa) and spent several hours enjoying Lucca - which offered so much more. Check train schedules to see whether it is better to spend time in Pisa on your way to, or back from, Lucca. If there does not seem enough time between trains, it makes sense to not stop off in Pisa - and just concentrate on Lucca.

We did the ship transfer (not tour), and found it perfect for what we wanted. Bus was right at the ship, took us to Pisa with a bit of helpful commentary, gave us good directions re time and place for meeting for the return, and left us to choose how to spend the time. One of my favorite port days. Seeing the port, I would not choose to do it on my own.

A private van would be best , Livorno is the worst port for D.I.Y. in Europe I.M.H.O. It is very large and hard to get out of the port . We have D.I.Y. it in every where in Italy except Livorno.

How many hours are you in port? If you have a full day, 7a-7p then that is plenty of time to see Lucca with a quick stop in Pisa. Livorno is really simple despite all the connections. If you have all the info you need and where to go it will run like clock work. In regards to Pisa, it's crowded with everyone trying to take the same photo holding up the tower. It's good to go to say you been there but don't try to go up the tower or you'll need more time. There is a secondary train station (Pisa S. Rossore) just 5 min walk from the tower where you can catch the train to Lucca. Also try to buy all your tickets ahead of time esp the return tickets in case there are lines and write down the train times leaving Lucca.

We did a private van. Not only was it MUCH more convenient, but it was less expensive. We did Pisa and Florence and it was FABULOUS and the best decision ever. The driver took us from spot to spot, accomodated every stop we wanted to make and it was much more relaxing. Use a reliable company. We checked with vendors recommended here and Trip Adviser.