How high is the solo chairlift on Capri?

ken_nyc

It is a single chairlift (one to a chair) where your legs dangle (we love this). The entire ride (which seems like it lasts nearly 15 min) is over land, and the height varies throughout the ride. There are times when you are only 15 feet above the ground, and other times when you are probably more then double that height. We have long recommended this ride, since it is fun and gives you great views. However, we would not recommend it to anyone afraid of heights...unless they are able to control that phobia.

Hank

It is a single chairlift (one to a chair) where your legs dangle (we love this). The entire ride (which seems like it lasts nearly 15 min) is over land, and the height varies throughout the ride. There are times when you are only 15 feet above the ground, and other times when you are probably more then double that height. We have long recommended this ride, since it is fun and gives you great views. However, we would not recommend it to anyone afraid of heights...unless they are able to control that phobia.

Hank

Thank you Hlitner!

When we approached the chairlift I realized that my feet would dangle. Oops. I was wearing flip flops. So I took them off and rode up and back barefoot. I saw several flip flops on the ground under the chairlift as I rode up. If I were to ride the chairlift again I would not wear flip flops or backless sandals!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not keen on heights where I feel exposed eg ladders, open tread staircases or even viewing platforms on tall buildings, but loved the chairlift on Capri when we rode it last Thursday. It's €11 round trip, the single journey takes 13 minutes (as posted, I didn't time it 😎 ) but most of all, the views are spectacular.

I could not find this, but, how high is the solo chairlift on Capri? The 4 of us have a fear of heights. Thank you in advance!

From about 1.04 shows it. I would guess the maximum drop is about 30 feet. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]uujBnlG7ahs[/YOUTUBE]

Can kids ride on parent laps? Is there an age minimum? Thanks!

You need to understand that Greece tends not to be as risk adverse as we are in the USA (they expect folks to be personally responsible). On the chairlift web site they specifically say, "The chairs on the chairlift are made for a single passenger. There is a safety bar, but it is easily lifted, so we do not recommend riding with very young or very active children on your lap."

That being said, they also say that Children under 7, on their parents lap, ride free! The issue is not the rules but whether a parent feels comfortable with a child on their lap,...only being held by the parent. If they somehow scramble out of your arms....then we hope they have a quick acting parachute.

Hank

Take a hydrofoil to Capri.

IN Anacapri, here is a link http://www.capriseggiovia.it/en/impianto.html

Yep! I'm doing an "on your own" excursion through the ship - gets me to Capri and back. I've booked a ticket for a boat tour around the island with stop for the Blue Grotto and will see what I have time for after. :)

You need to understand that Greece tends not to be as risk adverse as we are in the USA (they expect folks to be personally responsible). On the chairlift web site they specifically say, "The chairs on the chairlift are made for a single passenger. There is a safety bar, but it is easily lifted, so we do not recommend riding with very young or very active children on your lap."

That being said, they also say that Children under 7, on their parents lap, ride free! The issue is not the rules but whether a parent feels comfortable with a child on their lap,...only being held by the parent. If they somehow scramble out of your arms....then we hope they have a quick acting parachute.

Hank

Isn't Capri part of Italy?

Yep! I'm doing an "on your own" excursion through the ship - gets me to Capri and back. I've booked a ticket for a boat tour around the island with stop for the Blue Grotto and will see what I have time for after. :)

Well have a great time! We are literally doing Capri on our own.

I'm fine with heights, but generally have a fear of vertical drops and falling. How safe do you feel on the chair lift, and how easy is it to exit, as I am assume it one of those things that keeps moving.

Is there room on the chair for your bag too?

Never been skiing so have no experience that I can think of with chair lifts of any sort.

So here is fruit for thought. When you book an excursion to Capri, somebody will walk the group over to the nearby Molo Beverello Marina (5 min walk from ship) and put you on the same hydrofoil/jetboats used by everyone else. If you walked over to that same ferry terminal on your own and purchased a ticket it would cost you about 38€ (about $42) round trip. How much are you paying for the excursion? Once you arrive at Capri (the pier is at Marina Grande) there are round the island boat tours or boats to the Blue Grotto right on the same dock (independent travelers can take their choice).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

So here is fruit for thought. When you book an excursion to Capri, somebody will walk the group over to the nearby Molo Beverello Marina (5 min walk from ship) and put you on the same hydrofoil/jetboats used by everyone else. If you walked over to that same ferry terminal on your own and purchased a ticket it would cost you about 38€ (about $42) round trip. How much are you paying for the excursion? Once you arrive at Capri (the pier is at Marina Grande) there are round the island boat tours or boats to the Blue Grotto right on the same dock (independent travelers can take their choice).

Hank

Here is "fruit for thought" - some of us like to have things already paid for.

The boat tour is already arranged - INDEPENDENTLY. All the ship excursion does is the transportation over - but it's already paid for so I don't have to worry about the money when there.

I (or maybe we're supposed to use the royal "we" on these boards?) get that ship excursions are not popular with this crowd. But some of us actually like to have things taken care of in advance.

Here is "fruit for thought" - some of us like to have things already paid for.

The boat tour is already arranged - INDEPENDENTLY. All the ship excursion does is the transportation over - but it's already paid for so I don't have to worry about the money when there.

I (or maybe we're supposed to use the royal "we" on these boards?) get that ship excursions are not popular with this crowd. But some of us actually like to have things taken care of in advance.

There is a sort of mania among US travelers (I am one, so no flaming intended) to take care of everything in advance of travel. Yet that also takes away the ability to change plans if needed. What if the day you have in Naples turns out to be gray and rainy, with rough, choppy waves -- it happens. You are locked into what you've decided to do.

There are some things, IMHO, that are worth deciding and arranging in advance. Tickets to the Vatican, for example, to avoid the horrendous lines. But other things (I have come to learn) are better off left until you're on the ground so to speak, as often there is no real 'downside' to getting the tickets or making the plans on the day of your adventure. In fact, costs are usually less.

I understand sometimes wanting it to be done without a lot of work on your part, especially on a Med cruise with a lot of stops, so a lot of needed research if you want to do it DIY.

Some ports are easier to research and figure out than others, Naples is particularly easy which is why many of us here suggest doing this one on your own, saving money there that you can spend on ports that are more difficult on your own.