Ramada on Marina Mile Blvd, Ft. Lauderdale - thoughts?

firstimer2

• 2 years later...
Please advise on this hotel. Looking for a hotel for one night pre cruise. Need it to be non-musty and clean.

Anyone use this recently?

Thank you.

The location is horrible and Ramada Inns in South Florida are pretty dismal.

The location is horrible and Ramada Inns in South Florida are pretty dismal.

I totally disagree. With respect and whatever it takes to get real.

Not every family who cruise out of Everglades is willing to drop $250+ per night for hotel rooms if they are only looking for a decent overnight before their cruise.

The Ramada is in a perfectly fine location only 3 miles from the Port entrance and with rates under $100 ( sometimes $125) it serves its purpose rather well.

I trust the people who book this kind of motel are adults who can research TripAdvisor and Yelp and be perfectly aware of what they are going to get for their money.

What they will get is a fine affordable place to stay very near the Port. No, this is not an Embassy Suites, there are no strip malls next door, no fast food joints and certainly no boulevard for people watching. This is not 17th Street or Las Olas. Just a very good and friendly waterfront restaurant/bar (Rendezvouz) a short walk away where very interesting people gather and multi-million dollar yacht deals are negotiated over lunch and dinner. Patrons are well-dressed and well-behaved and international.

And no, there is no boardwalk to stroll after dark. I expect most guests to be in their rooms by 9pm or so getting ready for their cruise the next day. So there is nothing to afraid of because no-one is planning to walk the streets after midnight.

In early 2017 a new Tryp hotel will open across the street. This should be an indication that the area is seeing growth and not falling in despair.

My best advice is to keep an open mind, do your research and book hotels that fit your budget instead of overspending for no reason.

Edited by SteerageJoe

SteerageJoe, while I appreciate what you are trying to do, people like you slay me.

You have no idea what I do or who I talk to or that I had dinner with the Chief of Police last week. You have no idea who my friends are or where I spend my time, or insider knowledge I'm privy to.

Do you even know what flakka is?

Yet you come here once or twice a year and try and tell people that an area that clearly has problems is great!

You don't know that people aren't going to be out walking around. People are on vacation and aren't going to be in bed at 9PM.

If you would like to stay there that is fine for you.

And no, there are no multi million dollar yacht deals brokered there.

Those are the shipyards where the mega yachts are parked or worked on. The area is popular with yachties who are the paid crew not owners. Most of those are owned by corporations and they are for rent.

The yacht deals are brokered in much nicer areas.

Again, I have friends who chef, captain, stew, repair, paint, etc. I know the business well.

Edited by BlueHerons

We are also booked in this hotel in September for 2 night post cruise for the price. We don't need all the fancy stuff & high prices. We are on a budget.

Question: Is it possible to rent a car at the port & turn it in at FLL? We just want the freedom to get around where we want to go. Again, we need to look at our budget. My friend tried once & the original price looked good ($36 a day) but by the time fees were added in it was over $100.00.

Please give constructive assistance.

Donna, here is a map of the Port Everglades area so you can see the rental car locations (only the most popular ones are shown - there are others).

You jump on the rental car shuttle at the cruise terminal but the lines can be long - many just grab taxis to get there faster.

Whether or not you should rent a car is your decision. I guess it depends on the daily rate when compared with using taxis and Uber and water shuttles to get around.

The Ramada offers a nice van for transfers to nearby areas - just as the front desk. here is picture :

Ramada2.jpg

With a car you have to consider the cost of parking (starting around $1.25 per hour and upwards) just about everywhere you drive. I've always been able to find parking so that should not be an issue but do plan ahead - I have a map of all the public parking garages/locations.

The three water taxi/shuttles as well as the road trolley are the preferred option for many to get around town and these cover most areas of interest. Then you just need the occasional taxi/uber. (see map for routes and popular stops)

The costs of all these public transport do add up after two days (water taxi = $26 all day but $16 after 5pm!!!), so I can see the attraction of a rental car if you get a good rate.

Do walk to the Rendesvouz waterfront restaurant/bar behind the Ramada. You will like it!

Edited by SteerageJoe

Donna, here is a map of the Port Everglades area so you can see the rental car locations (only the most popular ones are shown - there are others).

You jump on the rental car shuttle at the cruise terminal but the lines can be long - many just grab taxis to get there faster.

Whether or not you should rent a car is your decision. I guess it depends on the daily rate when compared with using taxis and Uber and water shuttles to get around.

The Ramada offers a nice van for transfers to nearby areas - just as the front desk. here is picture :

Ramada2.jpg

With a car you have to consider the cost of parking (starting around $1.25 per hour and upwards) just about everywhere you drive. I've always been able to find parking so that should not be an issue but do plan ahead - I have a map of all the public parking garages/locations.

The three water taxi/shuttles as well as the road trolley are the preferred option for many to get around town and these cover most areas of interest. Then you just need the occasional taxi/uber. (see map for routes and popular stops)

The costs of all these public transport do add up after two days (water taxi = $26 all day but $16 after 5pm!!!), so I can see the attraction of a rental car if you get a good rate.

Do walk to the Rendesvouz waterfront restaurant/bar behind the Ramada. You will like it!

That is a great map of the area. Thanks for sharing.

Two yacht brokers at Marina Bay behind the Ramada:

http://www.rickobeyandassociates.com/Contact-srk/

http://www.26northyachts.com/contact-us/

And now we can move on...thanks

Nice try. There are yacht offices all over Fort Lauderdale. We are the yachting capitol of the WORLD six months of the year. There are HUNDREDS of yacht brokerages here, every one in the world has an office in Fort Lauderdale.

Let me be frank, I am not suggesting anyone spend outside their means to stay in a swank area in a swank hotel. I am suggesting there are much better areas for the same money that are not on State Road 84.

Again, you are someone who is here two days out of the year that knows how to use a google map and you are now an expert here.

You will continue to post until right after your cruise and on every single post recommend the hotel you stayed in and the restaurant you ate at for a week or so after your post then never be heard from again.

I hope you and your family stay safe.

Edited by BlueHerons

Let me be frank, I am not suggesting anyone spend outside their means to stay in a swank area in a swank hotel. I am suggesting there are much better areas for the same money that are not on State Road 84.

I hope you and your family stay safe.

Please share BlueHerons. I have never seen you post anything but recommendations to hotels on the more expensive end of the scale. What hotels and areas would you recommend that are close to Port Everglades and the airport that are under $300/night in February/March?

I sincerely ask because I have found the State Rd. 84 area ideal for a moderately priced area with reputable hotels and close proximity to stores for pre-cruise supplies and moderately priced restaurants. Admittedly, I am a yearly Fort Lauderdale visitor, but have stayed in various areas of the city. When I visit and have not rented a car, I prefer to stay on State Rd. 84 - and have many times.

My business takes me to the Port Everglades area several times a month - last visit was one week ago - and soon I will have to stay longer each trip. As a small-business owner I have budget constraints and I pick mid-range hotels that fit my budget and personal requirements including proximity to the Port, free and safe parking and without height restrictions when driving my truck.

I meet many cruisers in the hotels I frequent and many are repeat hotel patrons which always mean something. Some folks cruise twice a month - just imagine!

I am not married to any particular area near the Port. When I have a bad experience with a hotel or area I will say so. If I am pleased with a stay then I have every right to share my thoughts.

Wyndham is building a new Tryp Hotel across the street from the Ramada! I consider this to be a very positive step for the 84 corridor near the Port.

Tryp-Hotel.jpg

Please share BlueHerons. I have never seen you post anything but recommendations to hotels on the more expensive end of the scale. What hotels and areas would you recommend that are close to Port Everglades and the airport that are under $300/night in February/March?

I sincerely ask because I have found the State Rd. 84 area ideal for a moderately priced area with reputable hotels and close proximity to stores for pre-cruise supplies and moderately priced restaurants. Admittedly, I am a yearly Fort Lauderdale visitor, but have stayed in various areas of the city. When I visit and have not rented a car, I prefer to stay on State Rd. 84 - and have many times.

Best Western Oceanside

Snooze Inn

Sandy Shores

Shell Resort

Seaside

Seville

Le Casa

Winterset

Birch Patio

There are a bunch of mom and pop motels on the beach between A1A and the intracoastal waterway that are really cool. All have pools and are walking distance to the beach and to restaurants and attractions.

I often suggest The Snooze in and Best Western Oceanside along with some of the smaller hotels but people usually aren't looking for that.

During season, some of the above may also have minimums.

Edited to add that these are between 17th Street and Las Olas. About the same distance to the port as the Bahia Mar which is another reasonable hotel.

The biggest thing is that they are all safe if you want to walk around the middle of the night by yourself.

Good luck!

Edited by BlueHerons