Photo Trip Review - Reflection TA

Lisah101

We had a nice day wandering around Lucca - an interesting old walled city that is small enough to be charming without the throngs of tourists in the larger cities.

We all met again at the Taxi and drove to Pisa.

Yup... it's leaning.

IMG_5354.jpg

After a few photos, we went back to the taxi and while waiting for the others I decided to try one of the truffles I had purchased in Lucca - they were AMAZING and Terry took an unflattering photo of me at that moment but I it was a moment during our vacation that I want to remember so here it is.

IMG_5365.jpg

We almost always self disembark - I don't like the idea anyone can pick up my suitcase and walk away with it and I don't have to repack what I needed in the morning into the other suitcase because my one checked bag has to have all my liquids for the airport security. It's just easier.

Saying though - the elevators were a zoo - one gentleman got very rude and tried to push his way into our very cramped elveator. He yelled at me there was room for me to back up more.

1. there was no room, he couldn't see my suitcase as the elevator was already packed and several of us had suitcases.

2. I'm terrified of heights and this was the glass elevators. Even had there been room, if I get too close, it makes me nauseous and panicky which isn't good in a crowded elevator.

I felt for the guy as we also had to wait over 10 minute for one with room but we were all trying to get to the same place, no reason to be rude about it.

That was my only experience with a rude passenger on the elevator.

Please keep in mind, some of us try to take the stairs as much as possible but if I have to take the elevator, yes I will hug the wall in the front corner to avoid any contact with the glass wall. It's my issue to deal with and I wish people would just walk past to the back - if they don't mind the heights, good for them, they can stand next to the glass.

Civitavecchia - Only bad side about this is it isn't a real port building - a tent like structure and yes, you have to walk outside even if its raining.

IMG_5379.jpg

We shared a van with others to the airport where Terry and I flew to Stuttgart to start the next section of our journey - the Porsche experience.

Terry's photo from the plan flying over the Alps.

IMG_5382.jpg

We were a bit tired so we just wandered around to explore the area near the hotel, unpack what we needed and find a quick bite for dinner.

This place was next to the hotel and remembering we are NOT in a tourist area so not a lot of folks spoke English. I was in Germany after all so I can't blame them, I tried the few words of German I knew.

Took us a while at this little shop to realize I was trying to decipher the breakfast menu at dinner time. It was just a little sandwich/soup cafe place. In the end, we just opted for a soda and a German pretzel with butter. OMG, that started my passion for fresh German pretzels

Menu (breakfast I think)

IMG_0888.jpg

The next morning the weather was a bit overcast and chilly so we bundled up and went looking for breakfast.

We found a small place and tried to order pastries/coffee but again no English for them and no German for me.

FInally they pointed to stairs at the back and gestured for us to go up the stairs. Tentatively I did only to find a nice, large sit down restaurant.

They didn't speak more than a few words of English, but they were so helpful with gestures and just being patient with us.

While sitting, I took this photo - yes it is April in Germany and it's snowing.

IMG_5403.jpg

The fun part of being in a different country where you don't speak the language - you point at stuff that looks good (thought I ordered a croissant and latte) but end up with a nice surprise. This croissant had chocolate in the middle!

IMG_5408.jpg

Oh Lisah;

I just found your review and read it all in one sitting! It was such fun to relive the cruise and I loved all your food pictures, and the menus. I was reading them all and trying to remember what I ate that night. My sister and I made it into a couple of the knitting pictures, which surprised me because I was usually only there for 1/2 hour then off to Spanish class.

I had never done a TA so wasn't sure how I would like the sea days, but I absolutely loved them! We are doing another TA next year with my parents, who are avid HAL cruisers, and we are going on the Koningsdam. It's a shorter cruise with only 3 ports, one of which is Malaga. However, we did a tour to the Caves of Nerja on this cruise, so this time we will be able to check out the town. The other ports are the Azores and Alicante Spain.

In Villefranche my sister and I found a little boutique near the port, called Viktor. She had some great scarves there and I bought 2 (then when we got home I gave one of them to my daughter because she loved it).

Anyway, loving the review! And thanks again for all the work you put into the web site for the cruise.

Hi Lisa,

thank you for this great review and pictures.

Especially for the 'Stuttgart' part - I live about 30 km away and it is so interesting to read about it. Sorry, that you had so much problem finding people speaking English. Almost everyone learned English at school but practising is a different story...

Hi Lisa,

thank you for this great review and pictures.

Especially for the 'Stuttgart' part - I live about 30 km away and it is so interesting to read about it. Sorry, that you had so much problem finding people speaking English. Almost everyone learned English at school but practising is a different story...

I can't blame anyone for not speaking English - after all, I'm in their country. I think sometimes we forget we are the visitors! We did well and sometimes tried something new and different, but overall we had a lot of fun and despite the snow, loved Stuttgart!