Any Questions - Sailed on Adventure Last Week 9/9

julesbeara

The Port of San Juan looked great. Both the Pan American Pier and Old San Juan Cruise ship piers look perfect. Lots of downed trees, but they have all been cleaned up. The power to the Old San Juan Sheraton was up and running by 5 p.m. on 9/8 when we arrived for check in. The hotel provided a free Puerto Rican food buffett for dinner since all the restaurants in the area were closed. Happy sails.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

How do you get permission to bring your dog? That must be wonderful!

You can bring service dogs on board for medical and emotional support only. Our cruise was an exception for the evacuees to bring their animals. It was fun having dogs on board though.

Tell us about your stop in St Maarten. Did you use the regular cruise port? How long were you there? What did you see?

Also did you meet any of the evacuated passengers on board? What did they have to say about the hurricane and afterward?

Tell us about your stop in St Maarten. Did you use the regular cruise port? How long were you there? What did you see?

Also did you meet any of the evacuated passengers on board? What did they have to say about the hurricane and afterward?

We arrived in St Maarten at 11:00 a.m. and approached the island where the port side had the most visibility. We passed the airport, Maho Beach, & Little Divi Bay and the island looked barren, with visible damage to the airport, beach erosion, & extensive building damage. Great Bay looked mucky and sandy while we approached the cruise ship piers. A Pilot Boat came out and they decided the best approach to the cruise pier. A Dutch marine ship was their to assist the Adventure. When finally docked the Captain announced that he couldn't give an estimate of how long we would be their. They started off loading supplies and buses started arriving with the evacuees and their pets. It was very quiet without the taxi and caribbean music we typically hear when in port. It was a very emotional and tearful visit. Everything was free for the evacuees on board the ship. The hurricane stories they told were terrifying. Life is precious.

I heard the original plan was to spend an extra day in Aruba but this seems much more important. Were the evacuees mostly travelers who were stuck on the island, or people who lived there? I suppose the people bringing pets lived on the island.

The hurricane had passed Puerto Rico but was still affecting the US. Did a lot of people miss the cruise because they couldn't get there? Maybe that's why you had room to bring 300 people on board?

I heard the original plan was to spend an extra day in Aruba but this seems much more important. Were the evacuees mostly travelers who were stuck on the island, or people who lived there? I suppose the people bringing pets lived on the island.

The hurricane had passed Puerto Rico but was still affecting the US. Did a lot of people miss the cruise because they couldn't get there? Maybe that's why you had room to bring 300 people on board?

We received an email letter on September 7th, which stated we would have an overnight port stop in Aruba. Guest Relations had a no upgrade available sign when we boarded. We were informed during the Muster Drill that we would be stopping in St Maarten and not overnighting in Aruba. Didn't find out about taking on evacuees until we were pulling into St Maarten. RCCL did give Future Cruise Credit Refunds to those that couldn't make it to the ship because of cancelled flights. When we departed St Maarten the Captain made an announcement that they had taken on board 300+ evacuees and their pets. The Starboard Side Promenade had fake turf for both cats and dogs to do their business. We didn't meet any cats on the ship, but we did meet a couple with a Siamese Cat and Chihuahua on our flight home. The evacuees we met were a mix of American citizens living in St Maarten and vacationing people that couldn't get a flight out before the storm. We were told some Dutch citizens were going to Curacao & Aruba to be with family. The ship gave the evacuees everything they need free once on board. It was nice they helped, but a little sad to see all the damage and hear they had lost everything.