The recurring tonic question! Anyone on Journey now?

gymfreak

I love a good G+T but have never tried fevertree tonic. I live in a small town and had never heard of that brand until this forum. I'll have to look for some to try next time I'm in the city. I may have been missing out on nirvana lol.

I did try Hendricks with a slice of cucumber last time I was on Celebrity but didn't care for it.

I do know that I hate the really sweet tonic waters. If I'm stuck with those for mix I'll mix half tonic and half club soda and add a bit more gin to cut the sweetness. I won't use diet as I hate any diet sodas.

John, on Quest recently I met Philip when I was coming back onboard with my shopping bag of Fever Tree tonics bought at Corte Ingles in Palma.

He seemed genuinely shocked when I told him just how bad the Royal tonic was. The idea that a guest had to purchase their own tonic to bring onboard was concerning him.

Personally speaking I don't really enjoy Schweppes tonic much either but it would be a vast improvement on Royal tonic and probably much easier to source than Fever Tree.

Have to say that the time we are all devoting to this thread does make me giggle!

We have been having this conversation with the F & B team for years.

Schweppes would be OK with Gordons or Beefeater, if that is what you want to drink. But a premium gin needs a premium tonic. Do they really expect people to drink (and pay for) Silent Pool ( or many others) with Royal Club?

We introduced friends (we met on Azamara) from Connecticut to FT when they were in the UK last year. They tended to drink gin neat as they have never found a tonic they liked. They are now converts and hunting down FT whenever they can ( even though it is quite expensive in the States).

We have been having this conversation with the F & B team for years.

Schweppes would be OK with Gordons or Beefeater, if that is what you want to drink. But a premium gin needs a premium tonic. Do they really expect people to drink (and pay for) Silent Pool ( or many others) with Royal Club?

We introduced friends (we met on Azamara) from Connecticut to FT when they were in the UK last year. They tended to drink gin neat as they have never found a tonic they liked. They are now converts and hunting down FT whenever they can ( even though it is quite expensive in the States).

Oh I so agree with you workingtocruise.

Silent Pool definitely deserves Fever Tree tonic.

I did a mini cruise recently on P&O Azura and they had a marvellous and varied Gin Menu with a choice of four different FT tonics and the very good Fentiman's tonic as well.

Compared to Azamara it was a bargain basement cruise but the Gin and Tonic selections were stellar. As P&O is part of the Carnival group it seems it is possible to source FT in large quantities but of course, RCCI may have different contracts. :(

How did we ever cope with Schweppes before Fever Tree was launched?

I remember the first time I ever tasted Fever Tree, probably around mid 2006, it was served with Martin Miller Gin, we had never tasted either before, the combination was stunning, and still remains our favourite to this day.

The Craft Gin Club has been a revelation and has kept us supplied with amazing Gins for the past couple of years.

Have any of my fellow Gin connoisseurs tried Aldi own label? It wins loads of awards in blind tastings and is really quite good, especially as a summer tipple.

Yes LuAnn....me on Quest in June. It was still horrible, but marginally better than the truly awful Royal Tonic.

Thank you! I'll see what's on Quest when I get there for the T/A. With the different "flavors" mentioned with the FT is there a "best one"? LuAnn

Thank you! I'll see what's on Quest when I get there for the T/A. With the different "flavors" mentioned with the FT is there a "best one"? LuAnn

Not really LuAnn...its just personal choice. My least favourite is the Elderflower one, but it's still much better than Royal tonic. I like the Mediterranean tonic best.

Here is the link for how Fever Tree think their tonics match the different Gin types. I still mix and match them though. I haven't tried the one with Angostura bitters yet but it sounds nice.

http://www.fever-tree.com/pairing-wheel

Oh I so agree with you workingtocruise.

Silent Pool definitely deserves Fever Tree tonic.

I did a mini cruise recently on P&O Azura and they had a marvellous and varied Gin Menu with a choice of four different FT tonics and the very good Fentiman's tonic as well.

Compared to Azamara it was a bargain basement cruise but the Gin and Tonic selections were stellar. As P&O is part of the Carnival group it seems it is possible to source FT in large quantities but of course, RCCI may have different contracts. :(

I think that, at least part of the problem is, speciality gins have become much more popular in the UK recently.

In Harrogate ( quite near to us) we have Slingsby Gin

"I was introduced to this beautifully smooth gin via The Craft Gin Club and it was love at first sip. An initial burst of refreshing rhubarb and citrus from the grapefruit base gives way to juniper, before a very smooth herbaceous sweetness, led by sweet cicely and a light green tea scented with jasmine blossom. It’s a cracking gin!"

Serve: with a pink grapefruit twist, blueberries and an edible flower.

And, of course, there is Silent Pool:

"Brand new to the gin market, Silent Pool is produced on the Duke of Northumberland’s Albury Estate using 24 botanicals. A rich and clean juniper-driven spirit with floral layers of lavender and chamomile. Fresh notes of citrus and kafir lime are grounded with the subtle sweetness of local honey, creating a well-balanced gin that is both traditional and refreshingly individual".

Serve: zest of orange twisted over the top of the G&T so that the oil sprays over the spirit and then drop it in to the drink.

Do we really want to drink these with Royal Club?

Edited by workingtocruise-59

How did we ever cope with Schweppes before Fever Tree was launched?

I remember the first time I ever tasted Fever Tree, probably around mid 2006, it was served with Martin Miller Gin, we had never tasted either before, the combination was stunning, and still remains our favourite to this day.

The Craft Gin Club has been a revelation and has kept us supplied with amazing Gins for the past couple of years.

Have any of my fellow Gin connoisseurs tried Aldi own label? It wins loads of awards in blind tastings and is really quite good, especially as a summer tipple.

Yes, just bought a bottle of Aldi's gin and love it, especially with Fevertree Mediterranean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My reaction to this entire thread. Glad you posted that.

Marinaro, I think we all know this is very much a bit of fun and "tongue in cheek" thread and yes, there are very serious events going on the world at the moment. I could not be more sorry for the people facing the might of Hurricanes Irma and Jose.

That is not to say that the rest of us cannot try to lighten the sad mood sometimes. Of course none of this thread is a serious issue, but there is no harm in enjoying a bit of light relief from all the worries of the world at the moment.

As you are so fond of saying to others rather frequently, if you don't like the thread....then of course, you don't have to read it!

That is not to say that the rest of us cannot try to lighten the sad mood sometimes. Of course none of this thread is a serious issue, but there is no harm in enjoying a bit of light relief from all the worries of the world at the moment.

I agree. This is a cruise message board to discuss matters relating to our cruises and cruise lines of choice. If we paused each time discussing "important" topics like this when there was bad news (and this happens everywhere, not just Florida) there would be no posts here at all.

Phil

Marinaro, I think we all know this is very much a bit of fun and "tongue in cheek" thread and yes, there are very serious events going on the world at the moment. I could not be more sorry for the people facing the might of Hurricanes Irma and Jose.

As you are so fond of saying to others rather frequently, if you don't like the thread....then of course, you don't have to read it!

Well said.

Cruisers will be even more important to these islands than ever in the coming years with or without tonic.

I feel sorry for Floridians having to evacuate - but they have that option, the islands never had and will have a much harder time recovering - most of them are homeless and their source of income has gone for the forceable future - so getting cruisers to them as soon as is practical is going to be so important

And that's a +1 from me as well!! LuAnn

Not really LuAnn...its just personal choice. My least favourite is the Elderflower one, but it's still much better than Royal tonic. I like the Mediterranean tonic best.

Here is the link for how Fever Tree think their tonics match the different Gin types. I still mix and match them though. I haven't tried the one with Angostura bitters yet but it sounds nice.

http://www.fever-tree.com/pairing-wheel

Thank you for posting this...I have a lot to learn about gin as well! LuAnn

My reaction to this entire thread. Glad you posted that.

I would like to hope it goes without saying that the complaints anyone ever has about travel woes are always less important than real world problems. When you are assigned a cabin you don't like, someone else is diagnosed with terminal cancer. When your cruise gets cancelled, someone else suffers the death of a loved one. Our travel problems are privileges that many will never enjoy. Surely we all know that. It should go without saying. But on a multitude of online forums people are right now making plans, critiquing companies and complaining about and trying to cure problems. Life does go on in the wake of tragedy. For selfish reasons, I'm HOPING my November cruise to Cuba isn't cancelled. But since I'm not a monster, I'm PRAYING that lives and valued property in the path of all storms are spared. And I'm also interested to know what tonic is served on board.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would take some time to say that I survived my first Azamara Quest TA with Diet Canada Dry tonic and Beefeater Gin. For variety I also drank Mount Gay Rum & Diet Coke and I loved the Rose wine they had. I have been detoxing over the past week or so and have almost returned to normal. If any of you are one Quest soon, say hello to Dale and Ruby for me. [emoji16]

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would take some time to say that I survived my first Azamara Quest TA with Diet Canada Dry tonic and Beefeater Gin. For variety I also drank Mount Gay Rum & Diet Coke and I loved the Rose wine they had. I have been detoxing over the past week or so and have almost returned to normal. If any of you are one Quest soon, say hello to Dale and Ruby for me. [emoji16]

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi Denise, thanks for checking back in. I’m glad you enjoyed the cruise!

I will be on Quest in January, embarking in Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica. Any chance I'll find Fever Tree anywhere between the San Jose airport and the port? And, given the spread of opinions as to which flavour of Fever Tree goes with which premium gin: which premium gins does Azamara Quest carry? [As noted in my earlier post, I'm not a G&T drinker -- but this thread has made me aware of an unconscionable gap in my education and I mean to remedy that on this cruise!]

We had diet Schweppes last week on the Quest. It was better than the Royal, in that it wasn't a waste of calories. While I do enjoy a Tanqueray martini, it seems I'm a bit spoiled by the many fabulous gins available these days, none of which were available on the Quest. Save the gin education for being in a bar that specializes in gin on land and just have a Pina Colada. My go to drink for the trip was an Aperol Spritz with a splash of grapefruit juice. Even when the bar tenders were pouring heavy handed, it's always light and refreshing without being too dangerous.

I will be on Quest in January, embarking in Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica. Any chance I'll find Fever Tree anywhere between the San Jose airport and the port? And, given the spread of opinions as to which flavour of Fever Tree goes with which premium gin: which premium gins does Azamara Quest carry? [As noted in my earlier post, I'm not a G&T drinker -- but this thread has made me aware of an unconscionable gap in my education and I mean to remedy that on this cruise!]

Jazz, there is very little choice of premium gin on Azamara. From memory just Tanqeray, Tanqueray 10 and Hendrick's. The ordinary gin is Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire. Can't remember any others but I am usually so disheartened by the thought of the awful tonic that I don't look very closely.

I have just come back from another mini cruise on P&O Ventura. We often do them instead of city breaks as it is easy for us to get to Soughampton. It was very much a cheapie 3 night getaway to Bruges. However P&O has an outstanding Gin menu of more than 25 premium Gins....some of which I had never heard of but was delighted to try. Best of all, they had every variety of Fever Tree tonic available, even the pink aromatic which is quite difficult to find on land.

Good luck with finding some Fever Tree in Costa Rica though. Think that won't be easy!

Suzcruise, I like Aperol Spritz too but have never tried it with grapefruit juice. That will be my next alcohol experiment.

Jazz, there is very little choice of premium gin on Azamara. From memory just Tanqeray, Tanqueray 10 and Hendrick's. The ordinary gin is Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire. Can't remember any others but I am usually so disheartened by the thought of the awful tonic that I don't look very closely. ��

Silent Pool was available on our British Isles cruise last August.

I understand it's considered premium, but I come from a background of complete and utter ignorance. I'm certain others will provide any necessary correction.