New to Celebrity

jk928

My husband and I are looking at going on a 12 day cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse over Christmas. We have only been on Carnival, Princess, and NCL. My concern is there are 5 sea days on this cruise and I am wondering if there will be enough to keep us entertained. We are in our mid to late 40s with no kids. My husband does not like going to the stage shows. We aren't big partiers, but we do like to drink. At night, we like to watch movie under the stars with Carnival/princess or attend comedy shows. I know Celebrity is subdued, just wondering if this will be a good fit for us. Looking for your opinions.

My husband and I are looking at going on a 12 day cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse over Christmas. We have only been on Carnival, Princess, and NCL. My concern is there are 5 sea days on this cruise and I am wondering if there will be enough to keep us entertained. We are in our mid to late 40s with no kids. My husband does not like going to the stage shows. We aren't big partiers, but we do like to drink. At night, we like to watch movie under the stars with Carnival/princess or attend comedy shows. I know Celebrity is subdued, just wondering if this will be a good fit for us. Looking for your opinions.

Celebrity is our favorite cruise line. We also cruise NCL when the itinerary and price are right.

We pick our cruises more for the ports. Yes, we enjoy the ship, but the ports are the high points of the cruise.

Celebrity don't have movies, except on the television. We usually enjoy the shows. There are usually places with music and bands playing in the evening. The quality of the dining on Celebrity is generally better than other cruise lines.

There are activities onboard, what you might want is for someone to post some of the daily activities bulletins for your cruise. Join the roll call for your cruise. Also, that allows you to meet others prior to the cruise. Sometimes the cc roll call will organize activities or private tours at the ports.

There is usually some wine tasting events. Also, the theatre may have special speakers concerning places you visit on the cruise.

Do a search on this forum for dailies- the ship isn't as important as many of the sea day activities are the same on every ship. Normally there are 1 or 2 speakers who give talks on sea days, topics can be related to the itinerary, be historical, be about movies, improv, etc. There are wine tasting events (fee), the normal art auctions, trivia, bingo, dance classes, etc.

In the evenings there is a show- sometimes a singer, group, ventriloquist, comedian other times it is a production show. There isn't a comedy club but on 1 or 2 nights they may have a comedian do a late night show, also have some game shows at night and karoke. Watch the dailies for "Silent Disco"; I won't try & explain just go it is a lot of fun. Check out the Martini bar, it is usually a good spot.

I believe that they show some movies in Celebrity Central on Deck 4. Celebrity's pretty good about guest speakers for cruises with a lot of sea days. From experience with both cruise lines, I can tell you that Celebrity's are far better than the ones on Princess. You'll probably see a fair number of families but there will still be plenty for you to do.

You won't be the only forty somethings on that cruise ;) and at this stage, we don't really know how the itinerary will unfold due to the recent devastation from the hurricanes.

X is very quiet in the evenings compared to other cruise lines. You'll probably enjoy the martini bar and there's the glass show on Eclipse. You will also experience more families over the Christmas period. Previously, we've found X make New Year's Eve the main holiday celebration event.

There's not a lot of activities on Celebrity during the day (or even at night). There are plenty of places to have a cocktail and relax, people watch etc. During the day the pool area is crowded if the weather is even half way nice. But other than the odd event like pool volleyball there's not a lot going on other than sunbathing and drinking. In the evening the Martini Bar is usually busy, the World Class Bar has amazing cocktails but it's usually not busy, There will be music in the Sky Lounge till around midnight. You are not missing anything by skipping the shows. They blow! The guest performers/comedians are usually much better. Sit in the back, makes it easier to leave (or in the upper deck). There's a lot of stuff in the daily planner but I don't think much if it interests most people that are younger than 60-70. There are wine tasting, whiskey tastings etc, however they charge for them and if you have a bevy package, what's the point of paying for drinks you can get on your package (note I did not say "free" as we all know they are not free).

That all seems negative but I still enjoy Celebrity over NCL, Carnival or RCI. And I do like to party a bit even though it can be challenging on Celebrity sometimes. Give it a whirl, you will be on a cruise so really, how bad can it be?