CELEBRITY EQUINOX REVIEW - The Hurricane Irma Cruise

CruisingWalter

My wife doesn't require special catering, I always point out the vegetarian options in all my ship reviews. The waiters are always made aware she is a vegetarian at the meals so they can help with making selections.

I simply report our experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

c - Sorry I did not mean catering in a pejorative sense, only that she did not have food other than what was on the menu provided to select from for her meals.

It is too bad that the wait staff did not offer the vegetarian menu either.

Thank you again.

bon voyage

Thanks so much for your detailed report. As others have said, you have a writing style that is thorough and entertaining.

I have a question. Where is the World Class Bar? You said deck 5, but where We've been on Equinox twice and for the life of me, I cannot remember where it is, and cannot find it on the deck plans. Must be a senior moment!

Also, did you dock inside the pontoon bridge. We only did once in 4 trips there, and just loved it. I am hoping we dock there on Equinox next month.

It's in the area just past Al Bacio and Sushi on Five by the shops.

It's in the area just past Al Bacio and Sushi on Five by the shops.

Found it! Like I said, senior moment. Thanks Ma Bell.

Funny; but for the life of me, I still just can't picture it. Oh well, I'll be seeing it a few weeks.

We were also on this sailing. I agree with the OP on quite a few points. The last night's show was songs that most people never heard of. The first comedian prepared an act but the second one's act consisted of just asking people where they were from.

I did enjoy silent disco but hated that you had to wait for a headset since they had a limited quantity.

We would do celebrity again because we do enjoy the drink package and OP nailed it with how awesome the World Class bar and its bartenders are!

Found it! Like I said, senior moment. Thanks Ma Bell.

Funny; but for the life of me, I still just can't picture it. Oh well, I'll be seeing it a few weeks.

The back wall of the bar is the wall along the stairway as you walk past SO5 or Cafe al Bacio. It's only open in the evening and before the stupid art auction area.

I am confused - I have read, even today, that if you have CLASSIC and you purchase a more expensive drink than the package allows you are only required to pay the difference? Your review says otherwise????

Could it be that you pay the full cost only in World Bar??

Help, I am on Reflection in December.

Thanks

We were also on this sailing. I agree with the OP on quite a few points. The last night's show was songs that most people never heard of. The first comedian prepared an act but the second one's act consisted of just asking people where they were from.

OMG! We saw that "Where are you from?" Comedian a couple of years ago on Summit- it was SO STUPID and not at ALL funny! [emoji15] I can't believe he is still in business! Or still employed by Celebrity!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for writing your review. It was a fantastic read and it was great to hear your perspective after just being on the Equinox a cruise before yours. I'm glad they were able to navigate around the hurricane properly to allow everyone to relax and enjoy. Also very glad you enjoyed the World Class Bar and got to meet Johnny. We've cruised with him before and he is fantastic. Unfortunately he was working behind the scenes when we were on board.

Cheers and happy cruising!

We were told it was a family emergency.

Yes, same response with detail that due to the storm*s* she was unsure if she would be able to wait to get a flight out from MIA. She was scheduled to leave on Fri. the 15th when Richard Spacey returned as CD.

To OP as we were on the same journey, I wish to express my opinions. Celebrity Storm Update: With World news, NOLA, Fox, NBC etc. (major news networks and weather forecasters) unable to predict where Irma was going, what did you expect from Celebrity. Most of their department heads where on the previous 8 night cruise with the Celebrity president's cruise. Captain Costas and the Celebrity team did a fantastic job of keeping us safe, his vessel out of harms way and providing us with calm seas and blue skies. His daily updates at 10 AM and 5 PM with maps and storm vs. ship locations was perfect. I don't usually watch TV during a cruise, but we turned into Fox and MSNBC for more local USA predictions and updates; we have 3 families including our daughter living in central FL and our son was home in SC near the beach, so there was a lot of concern for them. The Captain also encouraged those with concerns to seek information at the Customer Relations Desk. I never heard a complaint about lack of information until your review.

Cabin Space: We were in a Category 1A - basically the same as a concierge without the apps & pillow menus just in a different location for much less $$; Hump cabin with large center mid-ship balcony. We had 5 draws next to the mini-frig, and of course the small belly draw at the vanity. I'm glad you used the 12x12 cubes as those do save a lot of stress for storage above the bed. I hang my shorts & shirts for both of us, so that does help. I found the bathroom storage excellent; 4 shelves behind the glass door, with several below behind the wooden door. The two little draws were never used. Our men's shave kit and my cosmetic/personal care items bags fit neatly on the shelf below the sink and these were not tiny travel bags.

You were very lucky to find a 30% discount on the specialty restaurants. I asked as we were not approached at all, as it was our anniversary, and was given no discount for Silk Harvest. We did book it and enjoyed the many different appetizers and entree's; their tempura shrimp were very much like Bang bang shrimp at Bone fish which we always enjoy.

Since we were traveling just as a couple and had made Anytime Dining reservations for 6:45 each evening, we took in many of the same shows. Although we sat through most of them, that last comedian was absolutely terrible. We walked out. I did hear many speak of the lack of alternate entertainment like you did; piano player, soloist etc. I remember having an accepella group in the foyer or a harpist near Cafe al Baccio, one of my favorite places but not on this trip.

Classic vs. Premium Adult Drink Package: I think the new package works out fabulously. It was initiated in April. You would pay the difference in the top classic price for the upgraded beverage: Example: DH had a Stella Beer = $1.18, Maker's Mark $1.18, Martini at Martini bar $3.00 + 18% tip with no issues at all. I could get Martini's at the Ensemble and Passport bars as well as Irish Coffee with Jameson's, Coffee with Tia Maria, Kahula etc all at the Cafe al Bacio. It cost us much less than upgrading and was taken out of our OBC.

Martinique was a surprise as we hadn't been there in more than 20 years. We ducked through the rain drops into the craft stalls and walked along the park to check out the historic statue of Josephine, the Library and historic building which now house businesses and shops. We were told at customer service the closest beach was 30 minutes away and we were glad we didn't even attempt a taxi or water taxi trip due to the intermittent rain fall. I had no problem buying with US $$. No one ever said a thing about Euro's or Francs although I had heard that they would require EU currency. I did receive change in US $ also.

Hope you enjoy your next voyage no matter when you go.

Nanatravel we got a b1g1 discount at Silk Harvest. We didn't care for it to be honest but I am shocked that they did not offer you anything. We also got 30 % off at Tuscan and did Sushi at 5 for $20pp.

Thanks so much for your detailed report. As others have said, you have a writing style that is thorough and entertaining.

I have a question. Where is the World Class Bar? You said deck 5, but where We've been on Equinox twice and for the life of me, I cannot remember where it is, and cannot find it on the deck plans. Must be a senior moment!

Also, did you dock inside the pontoon bridge. We only did once in 4 trips there, and just loved it. I am hoping we dock there on Equinox next month.

The World Class Bar is right after Café Bacio on your left as you walk towards the theater.

I am confused - I have read, even today, that if you have CLASSIC and you purchase a more expensive drink than the package allows you are only required to pay the difference? Your review says otherwise????

Could it be that you pay the full cost only in World Bar??

Help, I am on Reflection in December.

Thanks

I'm updating my review to correct that information. Apparently the policy was changed between our last sailing on Reflection and this one on Equinox. Apparently you now pay the difference with all of the drink packages.

. I never heard a complaint about lack of information until your review.

You were very lucky to find a 30% discount on the specialty restaurants. I asked as we were not approached at all, as it was our anniversary, and was given no discount for Silk Harvest. We did book it and enjoyed the many different appetizers and entree's; their tempura shrimp were very much like Bang bang shrimp at Bone fish which we always enjoy.

Hope you enjoy your next voyage no matter when you go.

I wasn't complaining about the lack of information, it just surprised us that 24 hours out we had no word when the rest of Royal Caribbean had announced their alternative itineraries. Once I'm onboard a ship, I honestly don't care where it sails, I'm happy to just unwind and enjoy the ride. But I found it interesting that I had to find out about the alternative itinerary through social media.

Celebrity always offers 30% for the first night of a cruise for the specialty restaurants. We learned that here on Cruise Critic. As for the second 30% off special, we actually received a message in our cabin that a second 30% off evening was available.

Thanks for a great review. I love the detail and all of the information that you provided. Very well written, very informative. Thank you very much. I have recently also become dissatisfied with celebrity, especially with the pre-cruise website trauma. Last year we cruised on Oceania and I was very happy with the experience. Whenever we travel with family, we choose celebrity as our family is very loyal to them. My preference has changed to Oceania. Best wishes and safe travels!

your comment about Celebrity not contacting you prior to the cruise... If you book with a TA it is their job. Celebrity only contacts those who book direct

Not sure that's correct. I book thru a TA and my upcoming cruise and the last cruise I have gotten emails from Celebrity regarding changes to check in times. My upcoming cruise I got the email 2 weeks prior to sailing and the last one it was 2 days prior to sailing. If you have done your online check-in Celebrity has your contact info and can easily get information to you.

Thanks for a great review. I love the detail and all of the information that you provided. Very well written, very informative. Thank you very much. I have recently also become dissatisfied with celebrity, especially with the pre-cruise website trauma. Last year we cruised on Oceania and I was very happy with the experience. Whenever we travel with family, we choose celebrity as our family is very loyal to them. My preference has changed to Oceania. Best wishes and safe travels!

We're seriously looking at MSC and their new Seaside ship. Saw a billboard for it on the way out of Miami and love the concept of the 360 degree boardwalk and unobstructed views with the lifeboats down below. Really not liking the "Magic Carpet" concept for the Celebrity Edge. Just makes the ship look weird and unbalanced.

Not sure that's correct. I book thru a TA and my upcoming cruise and the last cruise I have gotten emails from Celebrity regarding changes to check in times. My upcoming cruise I got the email 2 weeks prior to sailing and the last one it was 2 days prior to sailing. If you have done your online check-in Celebrity has your contact info and can easily get information to you.

Yep, Celebrity sent multiple emails regarding the cruise prior to departure. Just nothing in the week leading up to the changed itinerary. So they definitely had the means to get a hold of us and the TA did not need to inform us of the changes. But their social media team did reach out to me via Twitter thanks to the RC Meteorologist and we got the changed itinerary the day before we sailed.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the kind words. I'm glad the review has been helpful and has come across as intended. My experience and information in as balanced a way that I could. You will not have a bad time on Celebrity. My review was meant to point out where we found some shortcomings that I wanted to pass along before you board. Happy sailing!