Question about mens belts...

toxicfairy

How do you buy belts? Is it by the size of the waist, as in if his waist is 34 you buy a 34. Or do you have to size up, like if waist is 34 in pants you buy a 36 in belt? I'm confused as to whether the size in the belt allows for the holes or if it is end to end. Lol I know how stupid I sound. My husband lost 50 pounds when he stopped drinking alcohol so I've been buying him new clothes for our cruise ( he's been working out of town and our cruise is a blink away) I want to surprise him with a new belt but don't know how to pick the size I just know his new pants that fit are a 34 and he tryed on his old belt and its too big. The size is worn off the leather ( yes he's had it a while😏). Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Thank you Keith! Yes I'm proud of him. He lost his belly ( which I referred to as his car port for his...😂man parts) But now we've had to have to have his suits tailored and I've bought new Dockers, shorts , swim suits...haha but it's worth it! Although even though it's been a full year he told me not to expect him to not drink on the cruise. I said I can live with that😉

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

I think trying the belt with the pants is a great idea - because although men's sizing might be more consistent than women's, it's still not perfect.

My husband wears 34" waist pants (though he really could take a 33 in most and a 32 in some - 33 are rarely available and some 32 are too small and for regular wear, he prefers more space for things) Anyway - most 34" belts fit him but some do not. Bought a 36" once (braided, so we didn't have to worry about holes) and it wrapped halfway around his waist. Just different brands, and people have preferences about how much of a "tail" at the end of the belt they like too.

My husband and I also often disagree about where a person's waist is, so how long a belt you need could depend on how high/low a man wears his pants....

I think trying the belt with the pants is a great idea - because although men's sizing might be more consistent than women's, it's still not perfect.

My husband wears 34" waist pants (though he really could take a 33 in most and a 32 in some - 33 are rarely available and some 32 are too small and for regular wear, he prefers more space for things) Anyway - most 34" belts fit him but some do not. Bought a 36" once (braided, so we didn't have to worry about holes) and it wrapped halfway around his waist. Just different brands, and people have preferences about how much of a "tail" at the end of the belt they like too.

My husband and I also often disagree about where a person's waist is, so how long a belt you need could depend on how high/low a man wears his pants....

I think the reason your husband wears belts the same size as his pants size is that he prefers a looser fit. You say in your post that depending on the cut he can fit into pants 2 sizes smaller, that's a big variation! For the most part men's pants sizes are pretty consistent WITH THE WAIST. What's different is the cut of the rest of the pants.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

For the most part men's pants sizes are pretty consistent WITH THE WAIST. What's different is the cut of the rest of the pants.

I don't know. I've fit a LOT of pants on my husband over the years and there has definitely been variation in the waist and everywhere else. Maybe he's just pickier than others. Maybe in general a 34" belt will fit a 34" waist pant and I've made a few unlucky choices that didn't match up. Who knows.

And typically, 34 to 32 is just one size for men as odd sizes are not at all common.....