Hurricane Irma

rabin1

Hello

I know this has nothing to do with cruising except that all lines are changing their Caribbean routes.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and this storm is a Cat 5 which is very deadly and two times the strength of the one that just hit Houston.. That means loss of power, flooding, no gas since they are run on electric no cold items like milk etc. after the storm. I live 6 houses from the ocean on what they consider a barrier island. We are always told to evacuate but twice I have not. Once after Wilma I had no power for 2 weeks and could not get out of my apartment because my door was blocked by someones A/C. You don;t realize what having no power means until you don;t have it for two weeks. No clean clothes no hot showers and on and on. I just left the grocery store and it is nuts. No parking, two accidents in the parking lot, no water in the stores already and no D batteries. I called my corporate office and they are going to get me some and overnight them to me. Need them for flash lights and radios.

I have pretty much everything I need including filling up the gas tank. Just need someone to help me with my patio furniture and dig out my big cooler from under the stairs. Doing that hopefully tomorrow The next issue will be finding ice. My frig only makes so much. That will also be in short supply. I remember waiting in line after one of the storms two hours for ice from one of the government trucks.

Supposedly this thing is going to hit us on Saturday morning.

Remember what just happened in Houston & I am asking you to please continue to pray for them and to please pray for us. Also please pray for all the animals that have no shelter & that stupid people will leave behind.

Thanks

Kathy

Best of luck and stay safe. Still a day or two before the path is known. If coming at you I guess the obvious question is why you wouldn't evacuate? 6 houses from the beach sounds like a potentially very dangerous place to be if this hurricane continues to be the strongest in recorded history. Never mind not enough ice- seems possible that you might not have enough house if you get anything like a direct hit.

Kathy, we all wish you the best. Stay safe. We are very scared of Irma. My poor niece in Houston lost everything. We in California are still not completely sure how Harvey has affected her. These big storms are very troubling.

My thoughts are also with some of the crew, thousands of miles from loved ones, many of their families living in houses far less able to withstand these storms. For them this is a truly awful time.

All the best to you and to those people in Florida. If it is going to be so strong, would it not be better if you evacuate? We have no experiences with Hurricanes so I can not tell what is better. I hope you and those being affected take the right decision if given the chance.

Ivi

Thankfully, I am currently at my home in Northern New Jersey for the summer but--most of the year--I also reside in Broward County on the barrier island just south of Fort Lauderdale in Hallandale Beach... And so, I fully understand the uncertainty and anxieties associated with an impending storm [heck, I'll admit I'm anxious even now from 1300 miles away], the rigors and absolute mayhem that accompany storm preparedness, the difficult decisions associated with evacuation [no hero, I've always elected to ride out the storm in a hotel built to "Andrew" standards/equipped with hurricane impact windows that is either far inland, on the Gulf Coast, or far north/inland depending upon the storm's predicted (but still always uncertain) track], and the many--often protracted--challenges attached to contending with/recovering from a hurricane's aftermath...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Kathy, and with and with all of those--many of whom have far fewer defenses, options, and/or resources under such circumstances--potentially in Irma's path... Weather the storm well; may Irma be merciful...

My thoughts are with all in the path of what is potentially one of the worst weather events for many years.

If you can, then get to safety. Possessions and buildings can be replaced.

I won't complain about the British weather now for a long time.

My thoughts are with all in the path of what is potentially one of the worst weather events for many years.

If you can, then get to safety. Possessions and buildings can be replaced.

I won't complain about the British weather now for a long time.

Lottie

I stayed in my house for 2 in 2004. 2005 i left the state. then I moved.. after Andrew in early 90's and katrina a decade alter I still leel people do not take the hurricanes as serioulsy as they should.They board up .empty the stores but not only is it their lives it is the aftermath . no power from days to weeks. picture this in the Med and that is what is happening in the Carribbean.

Lottie

I stayed in my house for 2 in 2004. 2005 i left the state. then I moved.. after Andrew in early 90's and katrina a decade alter I still leel people do not take the hurricanes as serioulsy as they should.They board up .empty the stores but not only is it their lives it is the aftermath . no power from days to weeks. picture this in the Med and that is what is happening in the Carribbean.

Not trying to be rude but I can assure you everyone here in south Florida is taking this storm seriously. There is no water, no gas and I am still waiting for my corporate office to send me D Batteries. Don't believe what you see and hear on national TV. I am living it. I also said in my OP what happens after a storm. I have dealt with this thru Andrew and Wilma, Katrina was not a factor in South Florida

I am off to attempt to find ice.

Thank you all for your prayers.thus far. Much appreciated. Maybe just all blow real hard and it will blow out to sea. Will keep you updated until I lose power probably Friday night or Saturday.

Thanks again

Kathy

Katrina was not a factor in South Florida.

Though not nearly of the ferocity with which Katrina eventually devastated New Orleans, Katrina first made US mainland landfall--I seem to recall as a relatively "wimpy" Category 1 storm--on Hallandale Beach... Her path was relatively narrow as she transited the state--initially in a straight line west along Hallandale Beach Boulevard--in route to the Everglades and the Gulf...

Businesses and the fire house were damaged, a gas station was taken out, but the damage I'll most remember was when a church--just west of Federal Highway/east of Dixie--had it's steeple torn off and redeposited--point down--through the roof of the sanctuary... I'd already cultivated a very healthy respect for the potentialities of hurricanes--I saw the aftermath of Andrew [friends lost their home in Kendall] and I was there for Wilma--but that image, from a seemingly innocuous storm [no evacuation order was in place; it approached as a tropical storm before intensifying to hurricane status], is still an indelible reminder to me that one might want to think twice before tempting even a seemingly tame Mother Nature...

Edited by Xport

Though not nearly of the ferocity with which Katrina eventually devastated New Orleans, Katrina first made US mainland landfall--I seem to recall as a relatively "wimpy" Category 1 storm--on Hallandale Beach... Her path was relatively narrow as she transited the state--initially in a straight line west along Hallandale Beach Boulevard--in route to the Everglades and the Gulf...

Businesses and the fire house were damaged, a gas station was taken out, but the damage I'll most remember was when a church--just west of Federal Highway/east of Dixie--had it's steeple torn off and redeposited--point down--through the roof of the sanctuary... I'd already cultivated a very healthy respect for the potentialities of hurricanes--I saw the aftermath of Andrew [friends lost their home in Kendall] and I was there for Wilma--but that image, from a seemingly innocuous storm [no evacuation order was in place; it approached as a tropical storm before intensifying to hurricane status], is still an indelible reminder to me that one might want to think twice before tempting even a seemingly tame Mother Nature...

I lived i n FL from the 70's to 2012. But i left fro Wilma. then returned for two more summers. My cousins stayed at home for Andrew and ended up in a bathroom becasue they felt safe in their home. they were not back for about a year if not more. when i say people do not take it seriously i would be leaving.

i do not understand people who stay vs leaving if they can afford to leave-hotel and family are out there in most cases. after Havery. noway. freinds lost their home.

so i always worry about FL and the islands. St martins was hit hard tuesday and for now look like PR and Cuba still in the path.

I lived i n FL from the 70's to 2012. But i left fro Wilma. then returned for two more summers. My cousins stayed at home for Andrew and ended up in a bathroom becasue they felt safe in their home. they were not back for about a year if not more. when i say people do not take it seriously i would be leaving.

i do not understand people who stay vs leaving if they can afford to leave-hotel and family are out there in most cases. after Havery. noway. freinds lost their home.

so i always worry about FL and the islands. St martins was hit hard tuesday and for now look like PR and Cuba still in the path.

Remember New Orleans and the lower ninth word. Those poor souls didn;t even have the money to buy extra water or food. They for sure could not have afforded a hotel. Same as some people in Houston and same as will happen here......................thus the opening of shelters for people who have no place to go & can;t afford supplies. I have already spent over $300 on stuff I don;t really need. Can eventually use but don;t really need.

UPDATE:

They just deflated the Dolphins practice bubble and game postponed since yesterday.

Storm is 90 miles from St. Thomas.

Next advisory at 5...........praying it keeps moving to the NW

Airports closing tonight or tomorrow morning

All cruise ships need to get out as Miami and Port Everglades getting ready to close.

South Florida will be locked down tighter than a drum by no later than Friday noon. Later Friday we are expected to start seeing Tropical Storm force winds by evening.

Getting ready to rain now big thunderclouds. Maybe an outer band

I now have everything I need except the D batteries. Found ice...............pestered a client................lol Just need to find my insurance policy for wind and storm. Already got an email from Citizens the company that ensures for wind and water damage.

Bet Azamara, RCCL and Celebrity whose offices sit near port of Miami will be closed tomorrow and Friday. Schools are already closed to use as shelters. Happy both Dade and Broward have a pet friendly shelter

Will keep updating as I know things. Will decide if leaving once I see where this dang thing for sure is going. Remember do not listen to national news they really haven;t much of a clue.

Keep praying please

Thanks

Kathy

Bet Azamara, RCCL and Celebrity whose offices sit near port of Miami will be closed tomorrow and Friday.

Closure of the offices in the Miami area--best I know, there are still satellite offices in Miramar too--was announced on the Celebrity forum about two and a half hours ago... When I phoned my travel agent in New Hampshire to give her a "heads up", she had just gotten the same notification directly from RCI...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2541437

Still praying, Kathy...

Closure of the offices in the Miami area--best I know, there are still satellite offices in Miramar too--was announced on the Celebrity forum about two and a half hours ago... When I phoned my travel agent in New Hampshire to give her a "heads up", she had just gotten the same notification directly from RCI...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2541437

Still praying, Kathy...

My lawayers office in WPB is closed. I was told today it was based on the PBC school system. why/ no Idea. but they decided no school no work. makes it much safer on the roads and they can worry about their own home.

Our Miami offices will be closed until at least Monday. Many of my co-workers are planning to work remotely though so Operations should be pretty seamless. (yn)(yn)

That said, I politely request we delay asking them routine questions until after the storm has passed.

Where do you suggest we get news if the national news hasn't a clue? As far as predictions they seem in the same place as NOAA.

During storms like Irma [and those far less threatening], local media in potentially impacted areas--TV stations, radio stations, and the press via their websites--cover storm preparation, the storm itself, and its aftermath on a non-stop basis down to the very last detail...

While it's true that national media can report on potential storm paths/anticipated conditions and the general tenor of a potentially impacted area, one can't begin to assess the intricacies/practicalities of the situation--especially in human terms important to those living through it--based upon a several minute highlights segment... Surely I'm not so deluded as to think--experienced in such matters, empathetic and imaginative as I am--that I fully understand exactly what transpired in Texas last week...

If you're really interested in seeing things up close and personal, check out the websites for CBS 4 Miami, NBC 6 Miami, or Local 10 Miami [the ABC affiliate]... Or in print, check out the websites for The Miami Herald or The Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel... The issues/logistics might just make your head spin...