Tea/coffee making facility in Cabins

chiper

I have found fromrecent experience (RCI in November 2015 and May 2016 plus CelebrityConstellation, Singapore to Abu Dhabi, inApril 2017) that you can request a kettle for your cabin by asking yourroom steward or at the Customer Service desk.

I always take my own tea bags and coffee when sailing on a US based cruise line. We drink these brews black but I know that you can obtain mugs, spoons, milk and sugar from the buffet. There was a fridge in the cabin (inside cabin on all sailings) where you could keep small quantities of milk.

We are also from the UK and understand your frustration at the lack of tea/coffee making facilities that are standard onall P&O, Cunard, Fred Olsen, C&M and other lines that sail from the UK, Australia and Japan. Costa have a ‘Nespresso’ style maker which can be used without the pods to provide boiling water.

I do like the fact that P&O and Fred Olsen provide teabags/coffeesachets/milk/sugar/cups and spoons which are all replaced when necessary.P&O also provide biscuits but I’m not sure about the other lines.

Celebrity kettle

34278521751_00ae5656c6_c.jpgIMG_6868 by

P&O hospitality tray

34409755325_378afea94f_c.jpg by

While cruiser ref was successful in getting a kettle, the line can't provide what it doesn't have, and in general, the ships do not have kettles. There may have been some left on Connie from earlier days when it sailed out of Southampton, but ships that have never done that probably will not have a kettle for you. Note that it is also not allowed to bring your own.

The above may be true but at least people know to ask and I was told by the RCI Hotel Manager that all their ship's carry kettles. I can't vouch for that or for other Celebrity ship's as I haven't sailed on all of them but am just reporting my experience.

I don't understand the hostility against kettles that I read on these forums. Surely it is personal preference not to have to resort to room service. Fresh, boiling water is essential for a good cup of tea (British, Japanese, Chinese, Aussie, NZ etc) so the lukewarm stuff from room service won't do.

Just off Reflection in AQ - sailed out of Rome. I asked our cabin attendant for a kettle (and our sailing mates did as well) as soon as we boarded, thinking it unlikely that we would get one. Our wonderful cabin attendant soon delivered kettles for each of us that we enjoyed throughout the cruise. He would stock some tea and keep clean cups and spoons available. We also would get Tea Forte tea bags at al Baccio with our beverage package for a special cup of tea. We opened the divider between our balconies and enjoyed our tea at breakfast as well as our afternoon tea.

We asked and received a kettle on our Carib cruise in January on Eclipse, but were in a suite, so figured that is why we received it. At least some ships seem to have a few and maybe they are first come, first served?